Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ABS Stability Control Failure

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2018, 11:33 AM
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Default ABS Stability Control Failure

Hi,
I've read a lot of posts on this forum regarding this issue, so have some knowledge, but I'm stumped. Started with intermittent ABS light coming on but going off shortly after starting to drive. Now ABS light is on continuously once the car is started even without movement.
  • Tested battery and it shows 12.8V and was replaced in May of 2016.
  • Previous owner had front passenger side sensor replaced (at over $500 with half of that labor!).
  • Previous owner had ABS module replaced (at over $3000) in October 2017...less than one year ago. Is this still under warranty? Is warranty transferable to new owner?
  • Cleaned both front ABS sensors with no improvement
Had to believe a new module has gone bad in less than one year? Any other ideas? Is the ABS idiot light self clearing or would I need a scanner to clear the code? Any recommendations on an ODB2 scanner?

Thanks for your help!

Old 10-05-2018, 11:46 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,273 Likes on 2,810 Posts

What is the condition of your wheel speed sensor harnesses? The rubber boot at the end of the harness which connects to the wheel speed sensor tends to deteriorate over time and permit water and debris to enter the wiring. I cleaned up the cracking and splitting rubber boots on my wife's 2006 XK8 with a damp cotton rag, dried them thoroughly with a hair dryer, then covered them in neutral-cure RTV silicone sealant more than five years ago. Doing that (and scrubbing all four wheel speed sensors with dish soap and an old toothbrush at every oil & filter change / tire rotation) has kept the ABS/DSC dash warnings from coming back on her car....

Regarding an OBDII scanner, I have an iCarsoft i930 which I purchased on amazon for about $125 in early 2016. It works fairly well most of the time but has refused to communicate with some of the modules from time to time. Keep in mind that iCarsoft has no customer tech support at all so if you decide to order one, make sure you can return it for a full refund if it refuses to work for you....

Last edited by Jon89; 10-05-2018 at 12:11 PM.
Old 10-05-2018, 02:42 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,782 Likes on 2,226 Posts

Bob Gauff (motorcarman) is a professional Jag mechanic and member of the forum located in Decatur. You could contact him via a PM and arrange to have him run diagnostics on the car. A skilled indie within driving distance is something many of the forum members don't have.

Old 10-05-2018, 02:44 PM
Received 7,862 Likes on 4,752 Posts

Without the DTC we are all guessing.
My GUESS would be a front wheel speed sensor link harness.

Anybody else have a guess??

bob

Old 10-05-2018, 03:02 PM

Originally Posted by motorcarman
Without the DTC we are all guessing.
My GUESS would be a front wheel speed sensor link harness.

Anybody else have a guess??

bob
Hi Bob,

I did test both front sensors with an ohm meter and I got something like 1180 ohms which I think is acceptable. Now looking to test all 4 wires from the ABS control module. I removed the 37 pin plug but don't know what I'm testing. Is it the wiring harness that goes to each of the wheels? If so, I have a drawing from another post but I'm getting no reading from any of the suppose wheel sensor pins, so I assume I'm either looking at the wrong pins or I'm suppose to measure continuity from the ABS control module and not the harness. Is there a better way to test the wiring and harnesses?

Old 10-05-2018, 06:55 PM
Veteran Member

This pdf should show the harness connections for your car. The resistance readings of the sensors looks okay. But as I mentioned before, testing for the DTC is the best way to find the fault.

ABS Sheet XK8.pdf (application/pdf Object)

Last edited by RJ237; 10-05-2018 at 06:59 PM. Reason: add sentence
Old 10-05-2018, 08:42 PM
Received 7,862 Likes on 4,752 Posts

Originally Posted by Texasbill
I'm suppose to measure continuity from the ABS control module and not the harness. Is there a better way to test the wiring and harnesses?
I have no idea about ohm measurements to/from wheel speed sensors 'in-situ'. I would disconnect the link harness from the speed sensors at each wheel to see OPEN CIRCUIT from the ABS module main connector individual pins. Then 'SHORT' the connector with a piece of wire to see zero ohms at each sensor while moving the harness to see if there is an INTERMITTENT open circuit to simulate suspension movement.

This only works if the fault is detected while you are watching!!!!!!!!!!! If the fault is intermittent and the module detects it, then it will flag a DTC. The module is ALWAYS watching so I would interrogate the module. I know it takes 'special diagnostic equipment' to read DTCs from specific modules but people go to doctors and have tests with 'special-diagnostic-equipment' all the time and never complain that they cannot afford to have that MRI or X-Ray machine at home!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

They seem to be the first to complain that their $80,000 car needs a $200 diagnostic machine that can do 80% of what the $20,000 dealer machine can do.

I have three WDS and two IDS Jaguar diagnostic units so I use DATALOGGER and can also look at the DTCs in the relevant modules. DATALOGGER can monitor sensors through the module while the vehicle is in motion and record events.

There are common faults and some 'workarounds' for these cars but sometimes you just have to 'go to the doctor' and have a 'procedure' done. (or study and buy the expensive machines yourself)

Some doctors don't have the equipment and can cure anything, some doctors have ALL the equipment and have NO IDEA!!

just sayin'

bob

Old 10-06-2018, 08:18 AM
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

One easy check to do is to disconnect the main connectors to the ABS unit at the ABS unit. There is a large pull tab connector and a smaller power connector below it on my 2000 XK8. Clean both with a good electrical cleaner and hope it works. Good luck

Old 10-06-2018, 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by RJ237
This pdf should show the harness connections for your car. The resistance readings of the sensors looks okay. But as I mentioned before, testing for the DTC is the best way to find the fault.

ABS Sheet XK8.pdf (application/pdf Object)
Thank you for the diagram.....very helpful! I checked the fuses and they are all good. I then checked each of the wires/sensors with an hm meter and got between 1115 and 1133 ohms. No open circuits and very consistent readings, so all okay.. According to the PDF, the ABS module is the likely cause? If there is a one year warranty, I only have a week or so to report this to Jaguar.

Old 10-06-2018, 01:07 PM

Just drove vehicle again and now also have “check engine” light on. Argh.......

Old 10-06-2018, 01:16 PM
Veteran Member

I really think it's time to pay motorcaman a visit. He will be able to identify all of your problems, and if the module is faulty you will have documentation to present to the dealer.

Old 10-06-2018, 06:04 PM

Just drove vehicle again and now also have “check engine” light on. Argh.......

Drove the car again and the check engine light is now out! Changed the brake fluid which looked pretty dark and bled brakes. Cleaned both rear ABS sensors which were both pretty dirty. No impact on ABS light, however.

Old 10-07-2018, 07:49 AM
Veteran Member
Received 649 Likes on 316 Posts

as unrelated as it may seem, check out your wheel bearings, the left rear is first to go typically. If the bearing is bad the abs signal can get interrupted and this leads to a multitude of errors and error messages. I personally has, engine failure, transmission fault, no abs, track, dsc and several other. I replaced the bearing and everything was perfect for over 10K miles.
wj

Old 10-07-2018, 09:10 AM

Originally Posted by wymjym
as unrelated as it may seem, check out your wheel bearings, the left rear is first to go typically. If the bearing is bad the abs signal can get interrupted and this leads to a multitude of errors and error messages. I personally has, engine failure, transmission fault, no abs, track, dsc and several other. I replaced the bearing and everything was perfect for over 10K miles.
wj
Thank you for this advice! I see on other threads that this can be a cause. My ABS light coms on as soon as I start the car. Others have sad that this would rule out wheel bearings, dirty sensors, and intermittent bad cables. Would you agree that the wheel bearing can be ruled it f the ABS light comes on without movement of the vehicle?

Old 10-07-2018, 09:41 AM
Veteran Member

Thank you for this advice! I see on other threads that this can be a cause. My ABS light coms on as soon as I start the car. Others have sad that this would rule out wheel bearings, dirty sensors, and intermittent bad cables. Would you agree that the wheel bearing can be ruled it f the ABS light comes on without movement of the vehicle?
No!
If I didn't clear my error messages... even after a restart, at times I would still have a message. I even received a message about my door(S) being ajar.
If you can do it your self it is pretty straight forward and quick, if you must enlist someone else I would image an indy shop would do it without charge in anticipation of getting the repair.
wj

Old 10-07-2018, 11:36 AM

No!
If I didn't clear my error messages... even after a restart, at times I would still have a message. I even received a message about my door(S) being ajar.
If you can do it your self it is pretty straight forward and quick, if you must enlist someone else I would image an indy shop would do it without charge in anticipation of getting the repair.
wj
Whats the best way to tell if the bearing is bad? I have no noise coming from any of the wheels while driving.

Old 10-08-2018, 12:39 PM
Default UPDATE - Had codes read

Whats the best way to tell if the bearing is bad? I have no noise coming from any of the wheels while driving.
This morning, the check engine and ABS lights were on when I turned on the ignition. Had the following codes read from the OBD2 connector:

P1637 - CAN link engine control/ABS control module network malfuction

C1155 - Wheel speed front left input - circuit failure

P1799 - CAN transmission control module/ABS control module circuit malfunction.

I recall reading other threads regarding having Jaguar pulling codes indicating front left wheel speed sensor only to find it was really the ABS module. To recap, I have checked the resistance of all 4 wires/sensors from the ABS connector and they are all showing 1K ohm approximately. At this point, do I assume this is indicating an ABS module failure? I'm under warranty for another week!

Thanks!

Old 10-08-2018, 12:44 PM
Veteran Member

It could be the cable to the left front has a break that only shows when the cable flexes, but since the warranty is about to run out it would probably be best to take it to the dealer.

Old 10-08-2018, 03:31 PM
Veteran Member

This morning, the check engine and ABS lights were on when I turned on the ignition. Had the following codes read from the OBD2 connector:

P1637 - CAN link engine control/ABS control module network malfuction

C1155 - Wheel speed front left input - circuit failure

P1799 - CAN transmission control module/ABS control module circuit malfunction.

I recall reading other threads regarding having Jaguar pulling codes indicating front left wheel speed sensor only to find it was really the ABS module. To recap, I have checked the resistance of all 4 wires/sensors from the ABS connector and they are all showing 1K ohm approximately. At this point, do I assume this is indicating an ABS module failure? I'm under warranty for another week!

Thanks!
why fight the clock? take it to the dealer and have them check the replacement before the warranty expires. (don't assume a newer replacement is good)
the bearings can be checked while the vehicle is on a lift, grab each tire at 12 and 6 o'clock and try to rock it in and out...if they all seem similar with regard to the amount of motion-assume they are okay. If one or two show significant motion that might be your problem.

Old 10-08-2018, 04:32 PM

why fight the clock? take it to the dealer and have them check the replacement before the warranty expires. (don't assume a newer replacement is good)
the bearings can be checked while the vehicle is on a lift, grab each tire at 12 and 6 o'clock and try to rock it in and out...if they all seem similar with regard to the amount of motion-assume they are okay. If one or two show significant motion that might be your problem.
Not trying to fight the clock. Just trying to learn everything I can before going in there. I have an appointment with the dealer tomorrow but I have a very high distrust of most dealers. I was hoping for a relatively definitive diagnosis before heading in there.

Quick Reply: ABS Stability Control Failure