Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

"abs/stability control failure" not quite fixed, help

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2011, 01:17 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default "abs/stability control failure" not quite fixed, help

Hi,

I have got the rebuilt the abs module, cleaned all sensors, checked wire connections, all seems fine.

Good:
When starting with the wheel center or to the left, the abs light will stay on, the "stability control failure" light will stay off.
Once start driving, the abs light will turn off after half minute, and everything will be fine.

Bad:
Once the wheel turns to the right past certain threshold, the abs and "stability control failure" lights will come on.

Any thoughts and suggestions on this?

link:
1997 XK8 ABS/Stability Control Failure when turning wheel to the right - YouTube

Old 11-20-2011, 02:22 PM
Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts

Sounds like you have a bad connection or wire to the wheel sensor. There have been quite a few threads concerning this problem. I think Rev. Sam has a video on how to clean the sensor. This will show where it's located. Just check the connection and trace the wire back. Jack

The following users liked this post:
JagYi (11-20-2011)
Old 11-20-2011, 03:26 PM

Jack, thanks for the reply.
I've already cleaned all 4 sensors.

I guess I will check the wiring in more details.
When I took a brief look at the sensor locations, the front speed sensor wires had lots of slack. It wasn't yanking the wires when I turned the wheel click to click.
But I will try to trace the wires up from there.

Old 11-20-2011, 07:29 PM
Received 130 Likes on 103 Posts

I replaced the 3 foot section that connects the front wheel sensor to the wiring harness at the strut tower. $45 and half an hours work. Plug and play.

JagYi (11-20-2011)
Old 11-20-2011, 08:39 PM

Spurlee,
Do you have a link to the 3 foot section wire?
I might end up buying that and try it.
Thanks!

Old 11-21-2011, 01:09 PM
Veteran Member
Received 443 Likes on 314 Posts

Originally Posted by JagYi
Hi,

Bad:
Once the wheel turns to the right past certain threshold, the abs and "stability control failure" lights will come on.

Any thoughts and suggestions on this? ...

Actually, this is good. Really. We don't always get such a clear indicator. High probability it's the short wire section Spurlee mentioned. They call it a "whip" or something like that, but a parts supplier or dealer($) will surely understand what you're describing. Not an expensive fix if this does turn out to be the trouble.

As a test, you could swap the left and right whips to see if the problem moves when you do. Or maybe buy just one and try it on both sides if needed (I'm assuming it's the same part for both sides, but have not checked that.)

Good luck.

Last edited by Dennis07; 11-21-2011 at 01:14 PM.
JagYi (11-25-2011)
Old 11-25-2011, 09:44 AM
Received 33 Likes on 5 Posts
Default need the abs module rebuilt

Hi, I need my abs module rebuilt on my 2001 XK8. I read a post a long time ago about sending in one for a complete rebuild. Where do I send it?

Old 11-25-2011, 05:03 PM
Old 11-26-2011, 09:09 PM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Mine also sometimes is working fine going straight, but after turning or going over a bump, then the ABS/Traction message comes on.

Looking forward to your results.

Originally Posted by Dennis07
Actually, this is good. Really. We don't always get such a clear indicator. High probability it's the short wire section Spurlee mentioned. They call it a "whip" or something like that, but a parts supplier or dealer($) will surely understand what you're describing. Not an expensive fix if this does turn out to be the trouble.

As a test, you could swap the left and right whips to see if the problem moves when you do. Or maybe buy just one and try it on both sides if needed (I'm assuming it's the same part for both sides, but have not checked that.)

Good luck.

Old 11-26-2011, 09:49 PM
Received 33 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Thanks

Thanks, the eBay ad has a lifetime warranty for $45.00. Can I just disconnect the brake lines to the ABS Module and send it in. Mudulemaster states that you must open the bleeders to the wheels before disconnecting the lines to the Module????? Thanks again.

Old 11-27-2011, 10:59 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,259 Likes on 564 Posts

I agree that it's probably a problem with that short section of wire. I think it's unlikely that the actual wire inside the jacket in bad. It's more likely the connector on one end or the other. The wheel speed sensor itself has two pins that slide into holes in the connector on the end of the wire harness. Try spraying some contact cleaner in there to clean out the holes that the pins slide into (electrical contact cleaner, not the stuff for eyes. You can buy it at Radio Shack). And slide a paper clip up in there, too, just to make sure there's no grit or anything on the contacts. I'm sure the contacts in the cable are springy, which make me wonder if they are bent a tiny bit, which is keeping them from squeezing the pins on the sensor. Maybe there's a way to bend them back so they make better contact. I'm cheap, so I'd be trying to fix my existing cable before spending $45 on a new one, however, they way you've described the problem I think it is almost certain that the cable is the problem.

JagYi (12-23-2011)
Old 12-09-2011, 11:02 AM
Received 969 Likes on 642 Posts

This link thing seems to come up a lot.........

Here's a list of part numbers to go shopping with.

Cheers,

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
ABS Forward Link Harness.pdf (43.0 KB, 419 views)
Old 12-23-2011, 08:55 PM

Originally Posted by Linda's Jag
Thanks, the eBay ad has a lifetime warranty for $45.00. Can I just disconnect the brake lines to the ABS Module and send it in. Mudulemaster states that you must open the bleeders to the wheels before disconnecting the lines to the Module????? Thanks again.
Yes, you can just disconnect brake lines and take out the ABS Module.
I did that for 5-6 times over the course of trying to fix the darn thing.
In the end, I sent it in for rebuild. It would spill out little bit of brake fluid, but nothing major. After I put it back, the brake still works as before. I did not need to bleed the brakes.

Also good news! I purchased a front abs sensor wire for my front right side and that fixed the ABS issue completely!
This sensor wire goes from the abs sensor to the next harness.

The old wire was stretched out so I guess the wires inside are sometimes making connection but disconnects when I turn the wheel all the way to the right.

Hope this helps others...

Old 11-02-2012, 03:43 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello JagYi,

I read this thread, and this is the exact same problem my xk8 is having! Where did you find the front abs wire (hopefully not on ebay, they are being sold for a ludacris amount!).

Thank you

Old 11-02-2012, 09:39 PM
Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts

A couple of years ago my 2001 XKR had the same intermittent ABS/Traction Control warning light. It started out just every once in a while after a bump or something then eventually got so bad that it came on almost every start up

I tried cleaning the wheel sensors but that didn't help. I finally cracked open the ABS module and found the main pump wires that are soldered to the board had broken loose and definitely explained why it initially started after bumps and turns.

I re-soldered the pins and haven't had a problem since.

Here's the thread, the title of the thread is misleading but you do get to see my whole adventure:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...001-xkr-37907/

Hope it helps!

Paul