XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Adding iPod to 2004 XK8 w/premium sound

Old 11-14-2012, 10:14 PM
Received 124 Likes on 79 Posts
Default Adding iPod to 2004 XK8 w/premium sound

I came upon an interesting gadget that will allow us to adapt an iPod to our existing factory stereo, while maintaining ALL normal functions of the CD changer, etc. It is marketed under the Audiovox name, designed by a small outfit called Dice electronics, and is easy as can be to install for a DIY'er! It is an FM modulated device, meaning that it transmits to your radio on a designated channel. Nothing new. But, the trick is that it electronically "switches" off your outside antenna when the iPod is turned on, thus cutting out any stray signals that may typically be picked up through your antenna while driving. The iPod plays normally. All radio functions are normal. All you do is select the song you want from the iPod controls (or just let it shuffle), and control volume, bass etc from your radio. It even shows the song title on the radio display, if your radio is set to receive that. You don't have to give up your CD changer for this to work! And there are no switches or jacks to fool with. It even charges your iPod (or iPhone) while in use! It's called the Audiovox Universal RDS integration kit. The model i purchased was AUNI-150-PRO. 3 wire hook up plus antenna in/out: Battery power, switched power, and a ground. It includes a long connector cabel for the iPod. I ran mine back to the center console. It is also up-datable by computer link, so they want you to mount the box someplace accessible for future updates. Yes, the radio needs to come out to install it! Fired mine up for the first tim this evening, and it works excellently! Sofar, so good! Pictures to come...

The following users liked this post:
GGG (11-15-2012)
Old 11-14-2012, 10:28 PM
Unhappy Oops...

I attempted a picture download, but the picture files are too large. Sorry, folks. It isn't necessary that you "see" the thing! The control box is probably a bit smaller that a cigarette pack; larger than a cassette tape. Price was appx $130 from my local car stereo retailer.

Old 11-15-2012, 06:20 AM
GGG
Received 16,761 Likes on 12,150 Posts

Originally Posted by chopr
I attempted a picture download, but the picture files are too large. Sorry, folks. It isn't necessary that you "see" the thing! The control box is probably a bit smaller that a cigarette pack; larger than a cassette tape. Price was appx $130 from my local car stereo retailer.
Is this the one?

Looks a neat solution, especially as it doesn't interfere with the existing setup or disable the CD.

Graham

Old 11-15-2012, 07:25 AM
Received 294 Likes on 164 Posts

Looks interesting.
What do you make of this review re audio quality?

3.0 out of 5 stars Not the best., July 11, 2012
By Amazon Lover - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dice Audiovox Driven by AUNI-150-PRO FM Direct Modulator with RDS Text (Electronics)
If you are an audiofile, you will likely not approve of this device. Please realize that you will not be listening to your mp3 files in their original unadulterated state. Instead of playing your original mp3s, the device reprocesses the sound. And the major flaw in this technique is that it will want to muffle the sound at times it deams 'too loud'. So with certain genres of music, this is a major problem as the device will constantly be going in and out of muffled sound and normal volume. This is unacceptable to anyone with high standards of music playback. Tech support at AudioVox has no solution, it's just an inherent flaw in the device's engineering.

Old 11-15-2012, 09:20 PM

GGG, Yes, that is the device. Interesting read on the review. I have a mix of music on my iPod; some Rock, some Country, some Old, some New. I would have to say that I did notice a lack of distinct "clarity" on some of the older music. And, I mean "really older" music! The newer recordings were exceptionally good. Clear highs, strong bass... no issues there. I have had an experience with my radio where it tends to seek a better signal (?) at times while driving when I have the Radio Data Display on; the part that picks up and displays song titles, etc. It does the same thing when my iPod is on. If I turn it off, the sound is without this unusual "fade". This has been there since day one, so it seems totally unrelated to the Audiovox unit.

Old 11-18-2012, 03:37 PM

One update that I thought I would pass along: As Malbec pointed out, this Audiovox unit did not pass muster with the testers. I had found no real issues with the sound, and I wasn't expecting "perfection" from the factory sound system in a convertible anyway! However, I did notice some distinct "filtered" areas while playing one song in particular, "Party Rock Anthem". It really butchered that song. There may also be other popular songs that just aren't musically friendly with this units sound reproduction circuitry.That being said, I still feel that the Audiovox unit is about the only "easy" way to add an Ipod without losing the other functions. If there is a better way, short of tapping in to the circuitry itslef, please let me know!

Old 11-19-2012, 11:39 AM
Received 151 Likes on 106 Posts

I use the isimple device. Requires a manual switch to change to ipod but that is fine with me.

iSimple TranzIt IS77 - Universal Car Kit - iPod, iPhone, iPad, Audio Devices

Attached Images  
Old 11-24-2012, 12:50 PM

Okay, after living with this Audiovox unit for two weeks now, I have to place my tail between my legs and call the sound quality "unacceptable". Things were looking pretty good at first, but the fact is, with certain songs that are a bit more "technical", the Dice technology fails miserably. It does muffle or chop up certain songs, which can be incredibly irritating, especially if you like your music loud and clear, like I do. I will be removing this unit, and looking for an alternative. I can certainly live with a "switch"! Sorry, guys... I thought I was on to something useful.

Old 11-24-2012, 10:16 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,981 Likes on 2,123 Posts

Originally Posted by chopr
Okay, after living with this Audiovox unit for two weeks now, I have to place my tail between my legs and call the sound quality "unacceptable". Things were looking pretty good at first, but the fact is, with certain songs that are a bit more "technical", the Dice technology fails miserably. It does muffle or chop up certain songs, which can be incredibly irritating, especially if you like your music loud and clear, like I do. I will be removing this unit, and looking for an alternative. I can certainly live with a "switch"! Sorry, guys... I thought I was on to something useful.
The PIE ALP AI-AUX is another alternative. It is an easy plug-in install if your car has nav. and premium audio. It should be used in conjunction with a PAC LD-10 preamp to avoid dropouts, however. There is a fair bit on the forum about this approach.