XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

After tomorrow, probably will be the shortest ownership of a said car.

Old 01-04-2011, 10:17 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default After tomorrow, probably will be the shortest ownership of a said car.

Problems, problems, problems, and now this. You probably have read my whinings from past posts. Today a call from my dealership was the final straw. My beautiful ticking red timebomb will probably go back on the used car lot tomorrow. I would say 'preowned' but I will not even sugar coat the situation, so I am calling it a neglected 'used' car.

I purchased a 3/3600 additional mile 'bumper to bumper' wrapped Ford warranty 6 whole weeks ago that I was told would warranty preowned Jaguars. Now today, I received a call from the dealership stating that Ford Co. called them, and that they were in error by selling that type of warranty because Ford no longer warranties the said XJ and XK models (they probably lost their butts financially on the warranties). So now the next best thing is that they want to sell me (for the same $$) a Gold MPP 'item specific-type' warranty. If I do not like that, then my other option is for them to buy the car back, which I am afraid with all of the past gremlins, that probably would be the smartest thing to do. Many Jag owners have a large budget to get their cars fixed anywhere at anytime, no $$$ is really a problem. I remain on a beer budget, so now not having a piece of mind warranty now being yanked from under my feet earlier today, I have no other option but to say good-bye to my beautiful Salsa baby. This whole experience with the car and now the pathetic dealership has been a total nightmare. Oh to do this whole thing over, I would have/should have passed the dealership that given day.

Last edited by texastim; 01-04-2011 at 11:47 PM.
Old 01-04-2011, 10:31 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,257 Likes on 563 Posts

Are they going to buy it back for what you paid for it? What about the taxes you paid? Around here it's 3% at the time of registration. Did you trade a vehicle? I can easily see this ending up in court.

Oh... and I'm sorry you've had the trouble that you did. I don't think it's typical.

The following users liked this post:
texastim (01-04-2011)
Old 01-04-2011, 11:44 PM

You have been a true online friend Sam. Thank you for those absolute points. Yes, we probably will end up in court over this. It is sad, because deep deep down, I cherish this car, it has been a fun challenge to 'save it' from the previous hell owner. With all of my very recent problems, I had rest easy at night thinking let her fall apart, I will get the gremlins out piece by piece over the next 3-years. Now that I no longer have that safety net, I am afraid my problems 'might' continue. I am so sad because it really is a very beautiful car, but I am so scared constantly wondering 'what's next'? With that worry, I do not think that I will or would ever enjoy driving it down the road.

Just in three weeks, I have had the pulleys and belt repaired/replaced, the convert. roof lines blew, the lights behind the speedometer blew, the theomostat in the console blew, the headrest quit working. The dealership scarred/cut the leather console when working on the themostat replacement. They cut into a side floor trim piece when replacing the hydro roof lines, had to replace the A-pillars because they did not look right after replacing the lines. I had 2 new door dents from the Ford dealership, my headliner had to be cleaned up from the leakage. Even though the local Jag dealership went above and beyond cleaning up after the storm, and even provided a rental car, I have never ever been through such a careless mess. Seriously guys, am I over-reacting or is this typical what to expect from a high end car? Yes, the car IS NOT new, but c'mon.

Last edited by texastim; 01-05-2011 at 12:01 AM.
Old 01-04-2011, 11:49 PM
Veteran Member
Received 537 Likes on 400 Posts

Hey Tim--try to hang in there (we would hate to lose a member). When you bought the car I assume it must have come with some basic dealer warranty? So first things first--have you already had the dealer take care of all the obvious things that were wrong or are there other issues to address?

I would keep hounding the dealer to make everything right. Then you can always buy an aftermarket mechanical breakdown warranty that should alleviate the catastrophic worries. I recently bought a 4-year "Platinum" warranty through my wife's credit union with a $100 deductible for about $1,500. I believe you should easily be able to find similar warranties at affordable prices that will give you the peace of mind that you seek.

The color combo of the car you have is relatively rare and I would think that you could enjoy the car for a while longer and still be able to sell it easily, or keep the car and enjoy it.

Keep us posted.

Doug

The following users liked this post:
texastim (01-05-2011)
Old 01-05-2011, 12:19 AM

Thanks Doug. Yes, originally I have paid over $4200 for that itemized aftermarket 3/36000 additional mile MPP warranty before they switched it out to the Ford aftermarket bumper to bumper type warranty. Now that it never was in effect, I am back to the MPP gold warranty. I think that is somewhat pricey. Dumb me financed it, so I cannot get a refund, but only to have it shaved off of my principal loan. Any other new warranty purchased would have to come out of my pocket in the near future.

Last edited by texastim; 01-05-2011 at 12:24 AM.
Old 01-05-2011, 08:31 AM
Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

Tim,

Total bummer.

You and I bought these cars at around the same time. Other than the mental anguish of worrying about a "green shower" when I activate the top, my experience has been quite different than yours. The only issue with my car (bluetooth did not work) was fixed promptly by the dealer - no charge to me.

I am sorry your experience has not been better. No fun having the issues you have had. And I understand how the botched up warranty would be the last straw. Under the circumstances if the dealer will buy the car back and make you whole I would probably take them up on it. "Making you whole" is the problem. Sales tax, repair costs, etc. make that tricky. If they have any integrity they should make you happy.

Good luck with all of this.

Jack

Old 01-05-2011, 12:02 PM
Veteran member
Received 1,143 Likes on 749 Posts

Do you have another vehicle to drive, while you return (and get a full (minus the time you've had it) refund...including taxes) for the car, and continue to shop? If you do, I personally understand you taking that route, if the previous owner neglected that many items in car, what else could be next? Was it long oil change intervals? Coolant ever flushed, power steering, or brake fluids? Will the suspension be next?

If you've lost confidence, it is very hard to regain it back, and will take much longer to do so.

On the next jaguar purchase, it is well worth the $200 or so a jag tech will charge to give it a thorough pre-purchase inspection and test drive.

gluck!

Old 01-05-2011, 01:02 PM
Veteran Member
Received 537 Likes on 400 Posts

I do not recall if you had listed the mileage that was on the odometer when you bought the car. It is hard to believe that a 2006 model (assuming the mileage was not ridiculously high or ridiculously low) could have been neglected to the extent that this would result in any more major problems than those which you have already addressed.

Doug

Old 01-05-2011, 03:17 PM
Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts
Default buy to car

H20boy you said a mouthfull. I had my '98 XK8 checked out by local dealer before private purchase. Found a number of items that needed to be addressed. Got the price lowered a little but supply and demand. If I wanted the car I had to pay the price. Buy the way my neighbor got stuck when he bought one of those warranties advertised on TV. He didn't have required proof of maintenance done. Example: they wouldn't pay for a bad trans if you didn't change brake fluid according to manual. Oil changes perform at 1/2 the mileage and time manual stated unless using synthetic. Don't see too many of those comercials any more, I think BBB got to them.

Old 01-05-2011, 03:29 PM
Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Tim: That is horrible....But believe me things can get alot worst... Bro... it's just a GodDamn car .. You will laugh at the whole ordeal someday I am sure...

Old 01-05-2011, 10:15 PM

You are exactly correct. There is more than life to really worry about. My dealership offered to buy it back this morning, but of course at a lower price. They stated that the 'new price' books came out a few fews back, and due to being wintertime and the Jag continues to loose value, they could not give me a 'full refund'. My love for the car, even with my problems, big and small, won out. After being a loon somewhat screaming at them this morning, low and behold they pulled out a 3yr./36000 full wrap warranty aslike what I originally bought (the Ford warranty) before. I now need to shut up and be happy. Again, I thank you guys for your support and kindness, I do not like to be labeled as a screamin meemie. Time to chill and to keep working on those gremlins!

Old 01-05-2011, 10:52 PM
Location: Marin County, CA, USA - Just north of San Francisco
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

CONGRATULATIONS! You will love this car - one of these days! DaleD

Old 01-06-2011, 08:28 AM

Tim: Way to go man. Grab your *****, step up , and kick that cars ***.
Congrads!!!!!!!!!!

Old 01-06-2011, 11:09 AM
Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts

Way to go Tim, that sounds great. Hold their feet to the fire bud. The long and the short of it, they had a comprehensive insurance contract with you and they can not simply bailout or explain it a way. Based on what you have said the dealer would likely melt if you filed suit. They need to make you whole again buy returning the car in A-1 condition.

Old 01-06-2011, 12:33 PM
Veteran Member
Received 200 Likes on 176 Posts

Tim
Sorry to here about the problems. Hopefully you get them resolved. These cars have had problems ,but the I think the majority are pretty much bullet proof. On the forums your reading about a small percentage of them. I've only had a couple of problems with mine and it is ten years old. Still runs like a new car with 80,000 miles. You've got a beautiful car that will bring many smiles to your face. Have fun.
Doug
2001 XKR Silverstone

Old 01-06-2011, 01:48 PM

Tim : Do you ahve a Insurance comissioner in Texas? I believe there are laws that protect us from FRAUD>

Old 01-06-2011, 08:28 PM
Received 108 Likes on 78 Posts
Cool Tuff Emotional Decision

Glad you are keeping the car. May she be trouble free.
Before when I said if something I fixed comes back at me...well I'm getting ABS/ASC/Traction Ctrl Warning again after cleaning all 4 wheels sensors. So now I have to find out if its a sensor or the bad solder joint in the module (learned about that in this forum).

Old 01-06-2011, 08:57 PM

Guys, you all have been great with your team support. My car is beautiful, and as like a untamed horse (lol), once again it has a three year rope around its neck (warranty) to tame it and to get it back riding right on its four wheels.

It is being repainted in the front. Again, the previous owner did not care to watch out for the stone chips, etc., so I am bringing my car up to my standards. Next month here in Texas, weather permitting, I am going to get another clear bra. I have one on my semi-new Vette, and I know some of your guys don't like these, they are wonderful though. Living in a big city, it is amazing with rock haulers, dump trucks that do not wash all of the wet concrete out, and just general trash (especially those clear empty water bottles) laying on the Interstates what comes up upon you when you least expect it. Let's see, also I have have to swerve around 2x4 boards, and I remember once an aluminium ladder mangled laying in the middle of the road that so many people ran over previously. YEEEEEE-ouch!

Last edited by texastim; 01-06-2011 at 09:02 PM.
Old 01-07-2011, 05:58 AM

I've seen that crap first hand in Dallas on the freeways. It is a battleground to say the least.

Old 01-07-2011, 10:39 AM
Veteran Member
Received 200 Likes on 176 Posts

Tim
My XKR was a Dallas resident before I bought it, so that's the reason the front bumper was full of stone chips. I drove it back from Dallas and I couldn't wait to get off their Freeways, what a nightmare.
Doug
2001 XKR Silverstone

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: After tomorrow, probably will be the shortest ownership of a said car.