Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Aftermarket Mirror, Auto Lights & Rain Sensor

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2012, 12:26 AM
Veteran Member
Received 182 Likes on 148 Posts
Default Aftermarket Mirror, Auto Lights & Rain Sensor

With the help of WhiteXKR, I am putting together a blind spot monitor camera system using an aftermarket auto dimming rear view mirror with an integrated LCD monitor and two small CCD cameras installed in the corners of my rear bumper. The appropriate camera will be activated by the directional indicating my lane change and show my blind spot in the rear view mirror.

However, when I replace the OEM rear view mirror with the aftermarket mirror, I'll lose the Auto headlights and Auto Rain Sensing Wipers because both of these seem to be implemented using the OEM mirror. While neither are critical functions, I've manually controlled both for the more than 35 years I've been driving, I've gotten spoiled driving the XKR and would like to keep these features, if possible.

I have purchased a refurbished rear view mirror from Coventry West for $175 to have something with which to experiment. However, electronics are not my forte. Does anyone here have any ideas how these two features can be retained without the OEM mirror? I think it should be possible to remove the ambient light sensor from the spare rear view mirror and somehow use it as a standalone sensor. I'm not sure about the rain sensor, which is located in the mounting bracket. The aftermarket mirror I’m using is a GenTech, which my research suggests may be able to use the OEM mounting bracket. However, it does not have connections for either the ambient light or rain sensor.

I'm looking for ideas guys so put on your Jaguar thinking caps. Thanks,

Mark

Old 03-18-2012, 06:04 AM
Veteran Member
Received 305 Likes on 217 Posts

If your mirror is from an early car (not sure where the cutoff is, I'd guess 2001? maybe 2003) the rain sensor is actually separate from the mirror mount. It sticks directly to the glass in its own little cradle and the wiring runs through the mirror. You could use your own mount, or the factory mount, and use the factory connector cut from a mirror to bypass the mirrors wiring and run into the rain sensor.

Rain sensor:

Mirror, you want the little plug with the red, blue, purple wires:

As far as the light sensor. You could be brave and break open the mirror to extract the sensor and give it its own little housing on the new mirror. Did the seperate light sensor idea not work? (I posted a link to a Land Rover one) I think that may make for the cleanest install.

Old 03-18-2012, 09:11 AM
Veteran Member
Received 182 Likes on 148 Posts

Steve (WhiteXKR) told me the Land Rover ambient light sensor was not compatible. I plan on breaking open the mirror I bought from Coventry West to get the ambient light sensor but have no idea how or where to mount it and how or where to connect it.

As for the rain sensor is concerned, I do not believe I have the earlier version as what I have looks different from the photo you posted but that seems like it should work for the rain sensor. All I need is the earlier version of the rain sensor. Is the rain sensor sold with the earlier version of the mirror or is it sold with the mount for the earlier mirror?

Mark