Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2017, 05:10 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,291 Likes on 892 Posts

Ummm. Thanks! I'll do the best I can with this 😊

Old 04-26-2017, 05:41 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,484 Likes on 3,902 Posts

All the wiring diagrams etc are in the workshop manual (free download from this site) / on JagRepair.com - Jaguar Repair Information Resource

Do not test any airbag circuit with a meter without knowing what you're doing as I understand you might trigger it. (And disconnect battery 20 mins before work.)

The wires they cut - might not be SRS ones?

You could get the SRS codes read to help see what it thinks is wrong.

The following users liked this post:
Orthodixie (06-21-2017)
Old 04-28-2017, 09:08 AM
Veteran Member

Hello...

So this is what I've come up with... Thanks a LOT for the diagrams. I'm hoping folks can tell me if I'm on the right track. To remind, the wire harness was cut somehow for some reason by the PO and although all functions of my seat I have gotten to work, it seems the wiring concerned with the SRS, airbags and weight sensor are not.

Q1... My VIN ends in A25607 - Am I even looking at the right diagram? It indicates "----> A11061"

Q2... If so, looking down in the bottom left hands corner (facing screen) I see the "passenger seat weight pressure sensor", the "passenger seat weight sensing module" and the "Occupancy Sensing Module". Can I simply trace wires colored BO, WG and G from PSWPS and connect to the PSWSM? Or will I need to be tracing U and O wires from the PSWSM and making connection to the "OSM" its self (in which there will be unused U and O wires at harness bundle")?

At this point I don't have a picture of the "harness" and wire bundle that's resting on the floor of the car (which I can provide) BUT I do have pictures (thanks to you all) of the diagrams. See below...

Orthodixie (06-21-2017)
Old 06-03-2017, 10:16 AM
Veteran Member

Hi... I'm coming back to this post because it seems like a very knowledgeable group in the tread and I cannot figure my problem out... I hope it not considered as a hijack...

One question is:
The Passenger Seat Weight Pressure sensor is IN the seat, yes? I have looked and looked and I cannot find wires BO, WG and G that come out from seat. Anywhere.

Two is:
Is the Passenger Seat Weight Sensing Module simply a part of or built into the the grey seat control module found under the seat? Are the two the same or is it a whole other unit?

I can find the unused O (orange) and B (blue) wires that go into the Occ sensing Module but have no idea where to connect the two.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Old 06-04-2017, 05:37 AM
Received 71 Likes on 60 Posts

Ive had the code 17 fault & resolved it....Are you seeing code 17 in the flash seq? Yes the seat weight sensor is in the base but the normal code 17 fault is to do with the SRS system. There are a number of things to try out to help find the cause. There are also some DON'T Do's so before you go prodding about come back here with exactly what your seeing

Orthodixie (06-21-2017)
Old 06-04-2017, 09:22 AM
Veteran Member

Hello Smith... In earlier posts,,, to the best of my ability,,, I have described what I am seeing. The wires have been cut and I'm trying to piece things back together... This,,, and several other projects... Its taken me some time, slowly but surely, its coming together. Car runs beautifully...

Old 06-21-2017, 12:45 PM
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I have to code 17 fault and plan to try to resolve it. My question is will the Fault Code go away once the problem is fixed or do you have to reset? If you have to reset how do you reset?

Old 06-22-2017, 03:15 AM
GGG
Received 16,799 Likes on 12,168 Posts

Originally Posted by bobhoff
I have to code 17 fault and plan to try to resolve it. My question is will the Fault Code go away once the problem is fixed or do you have to reset? If you have to reset how do you reset?
YES - once the cause is resolved, the blink code 17 disappears unlike a stored DTC which needs to be cleared with a scantool.

Graham

Old 08-07-2018, 09:23 AM

Ok finally decided to do something about my 17 Air Bag. I got the glove box out without a problem. Does the yellow plug in the control module just unplug or is there a release? Also what else needs to be unplugged or removed to get to control module. I can see it but don't want to pull on wires unnecessarily.

Old 08-07-2018, 09:58 AM
GGG

There's a black locking lever which rotates to release. My 2005 XK8 was RHD so the dismantling to get to this stage is a lot easier:

Press in the yellow tab which locks the lever and then rotate the lever left to right as seen in the above photo.

The module was really awkward to remove. It's on a bracket and I was working blind to find the securing bolts.

Old module on the left and replacement with bracket fitted on the right.

Graham

Old 08-07-2018, 10:28 AM

Thanks. I got the plug out but getting the module isn't going to be easy. Do you think there would be a problem plugging in replacement module and hooking battery back up to make sure this takes care of the problem?

Old 08-07-2018, 05:24 PM
GGG

Bob,

Good idea. There's plenty of slack in the harness.

Graham

Old 08-07-2018, 07:07 PM

Well back to square one. Changed Air Bag Module and still have Code 17.

Old 08-08-2018, 06:15 AM
GGG

Other possible causes of Code 17 are faulty OPS sensors. I was in denial with Code 17 on my 2005 and checked these first by substitution with known good ones.

Be careful with the plastic retaining tabs. I slipped a credit card between the trim and the sensor to press the tab down to release it.

Graham

Last edited by GGG; 08-08-2018 at 06:18 AM.
Orthodixie (11-05-2018)
Old 08-08-2018, 06:52 AM

I went through the sequence at the beginning of this Thread. I used my phone and recorded each sensor. I heard clicking sounds when playing back so I assumed they were good. Once I get car back together I will start over.

Old 10-28-2018, 11:33 AM

I have been able to solve all the problems on this car except the 17 Air Bag Code. I seem to be going backwards. Now when I sit in passenger seat the light for the Air Bag no longer comes on. At one time it would come on and I could move the seat forward toward occupancy sensors and it would go out. Is there any way to check the weight sensor in the seat or the module under the seat?

Old 11-04-2018, 09:57 AM

I broke down and bought an OBD2 Reader that reads SRS Codes. Found out I have 2 SRS Codes. The 17 Code (B2291) and another Code 22 (B2295). I am going to try to clear the 22 first using the "XK Range 2003-2005 Model Year Electrical Guide" to find Connectors. I need to find Connectors SP16, SP17 and CR87. I have looked through the Electrical Guide but can't find these Connectors. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Old 01-21-2021, 06:53 AM
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I replaced this module as had the airbag code 17 and it was quite literally the most horrible job I have ever had to do. Luckily it fixed it as I didnt think to check it worked until I had spent 2 hours removing the other one

I would definitely check the new unit before you try and remove the 3 bolts.

GGG (01-21-2021)
Old 01-21-2021, 07:20 AM
GGG

Originally Posted by Rabs
..... the most horrible job I have ever had to do. ......
I recall thinking they must have built the car around the module because it was so awkward to remove and refit.

Graham

Rabs (01-21-2021)
Old 07-12-2023, 04:48 AM
Received 11 Likes on 3 Posts

Morning all,
It's been quite a while since I've been here, so apologies, and for dragging this thread up again. ......

What brought me back here this time, was the dreaded Air bag code 17. After changing the headliner board, rear parcel shelf and both A Pillar covers, the air bag light was flashing the fault code ..... Doh!!
After reading a lot about the newer XK's, especially after owning a 1998 XK8, then changing to a 2003 4.2 XKR, there has been a lot of changes to the SRS system, including the seats, A pillar components and the rear quarter panels, all of which I had to remove to replace the headliner board. Therefore I knew it had to be something regarding the aforementioned parts being removed and replaced.

After finding and reading through this incredibly well documented and technically detailed series of posts, I knew I was on the right path to find out what was causing the fault code. So well done and a BIG THANK YOU all, who have contributed to this thread.

My first job was to attempt to rule out the Air Bag module, so I followed the instructions, regarding testing of the seat occupancy sensor, the A pillar occupancy sensor and the centre overhead light panel and occupancy sensors, by lifting off the passenger seat and moving close to the sensors, triggering the air bag panel light (PAD) to illuminate and telling the system that I was too close.
The PAD light did illuminate, showing that the A Pillar, overhead panel sensors, seat sensors and the Air Bag module were all thankfully, OK.

All that now possibly leaves, is the B Pillar sensor, mounted in the rear quarter inner panel.
Is there any way of testing that particular sensor, and if so, how?
Also, does anyone here know of the part number for that sensor, so if it has been damaged during removal and replacement of the panel, I can maybe replace it with known working, second hand part.

If it has been damaged during removal of the rear quarter panel, all I could have possibly done, is over stretched the wires from the connector to the sensor itself, so possibly even repairable ..... Who knows.
Although I would like to test it first, before taking the rear seats out again and pulling off the rear quarter panel.
Therefore, any information at all, regarding testing of the B pillar sensor, and or a part number, would be greatly appreciated.

Finally, before some of you start to say 'who is this Tony S character, asking all these questions'. In the past, I have contributed a few 'How To' series of posts and pictures, and have tried to answer some members technical questions where possible, so have sort earned my crust
Thanks in advance.

Last edited by Tony S; 07-12-2023 at 05:21 AM. Reason: Wrong module mentioned.

Quick Reply: Air Bag - Code 17