XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Air Bags and ASC

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2010, 10:54 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Air Bags and ASC

Just when I thought I had read about all the quirks and strange happenings, I think I am experiencing a new one.

This morning I noticed that the passenger side airbag-disabled light was on as I was driving, but when I came to a stop it went off. Accelerated and it came on again, stop at a light and it goes off. It continued that all the way to work. Thinking it was the weight of my purse rolling over a sensor in the seat at acceleration, I put it on the floorboard after about the third on/off sequence, but it stll continued. Does anyone have insight on what might be causing this?

On another topic, the ASC, trac not available light comes on on a more frequent basis and it appears to me it could be related to temperature. I had this happen last summer and had no issues over winter. Now that the temperature is getting warmer it is happening more often again. Especially after it has been driven, shut off and then driven again. I've read the posts on dirty sensors causing the light to come on. I'm not sure how to clean the sensors but all was well for a few days after I washed the car on Saturday, so I think I may have rinsed the dirt/brake dust off? (Is it possible to do that?)

I have a copy of the JTIS CD but it wasn't really helpful as it shows an arrow pointing to the rotor on the wheel. So I'm wondering if someone can tell me how exactly one goes about cleaning the sensor.

Please and thank you.

Old 03-19-2010, 11:15 AM
Veteran member
Received 1,144 Likes on 750 Posts

Those sensors in the seat do go out after time and 'use', so that is a possiblity, that or a chaffed wire under the seat. Those are the only things I can think of.

As for your wheel speed sensors, if you use OEM brake pads, the dust can accumulate pretty quickly on the sensors. Mine did just that, then I cleaned and replaced the pads, light never went back on. If you take off your wheel, you will see the sensor just sticking out on the side of the hub, held on by one bolt and a wiring connector. You can disconnect, unbolt, clean off with some dish detergent + water using a tooth brush, dry it off, and replace. (keep the contacts dry, just in case). I'd just do the front wheels first, then take it for a spin.

Keep us in the loop on your progress. That'll teach you to take along all that stuff in your purse.

Old 03-19-2010, 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by h20boy

Keep us in the loop on your progress. That'll teach you to take along all that stuff in your purse.
Ah, but it's my anti-carjacking device that contributes the majority of the weight. Scared to go anywhere without that in a convertible that has "jack me" written all over it. Glad I live in Texas where I have the right to protect what's mine.

Thanks for the advice, I'll see if I can get a good look at (and clean) the sensors this weekend.

Old 03-21-2010, 03:13 AM
Veteran member
Received 1,144 Likes on 750 Posts

Found this in a XK Technical guide regarding the passenger seat. Check those 'incline' levels...

I also 'believe' in the the protection method you speak of.

Last edited by H20boy; 03-21-2010 at 03:22 AM.
Old 03-21-2010, 12:10 PM

Thanks!

Old 10-17-2011, 04:20 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,166 Likes on 1,610 Posts

Originally Posted by xsvjag
Ah, but it's my anti-carjacking device that contributes the majority of the weight. Scared to go anywhere without that in a convertible that has "jack me" written all over it. Glad I live in Texas where I have the right to protect what's mine.
Old thread ... but if everyone believed everyone else possessed an anti-carjacking device and was fully prepared to deploy it ... people would be more inclined to act better.

Just sayin'

Now, back to searching for answers to "trac not available" and "no start but cranks".

Old 10-17-2011, 06:35 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,257 Likes on 563 Posts

In South Africa carjacking is common but firearms are severely restricted. I saw a video which demonstrated a flamethrower device which squirts flaming gasoline out of both sides of the car. It burns the potential carjacker alive, and, surprisingly, is perfectly legal.

Old 10-17-2011, 06:38 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,257 Likes on 563 Posts

Found the video...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fDrzMGdYWZc

Last edited by Reverend Sam; 10-17-2011 at 07:07 AM. Reason: Updated link to video