XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

air/wind deflector

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2009, 06:16 PM
Received 51 Likes on 47 Posts
Default air/wind deflector

After looking at several expensive air deflectors for my XK8, I decided to design and build my own. i used clear lexan and the unit is held in place by the rear seatbelts. It can be left in place without interfering with the convertible roof and does not affect rear visibility. I was considering to do a production run of these over the winter, since my brother works in a plastics factory and I would like to know if there is any interest. The deflector reduces wind back pressure and even kept the rain out when i was caught in a sudden downpour.
Cost will likely be in the $200 Cn range.
If there is interest, I will try post some pics on the design.
Alfred

Old 11-14-2009, 11:11 PM
Veteran Member
Received 537 Likes on 400 Posts

I guess I would like a bit more info. My understanding is that the deflectors are typically a mesh type of material to let some air pass through so is your lexan deflector a solid piece of plastic or is it perforated somehow to let air pass through? If it was solid I would think that the air hitting such a piece would end up breaking it. A few pics would be very useful.

Doug

Old 11-15-2009, 09:12 AM

As you know, the wind coming from behind (without a deflector) is coming forward towards the windshield, mostly along the inner shoulders of driver and passenger, so on cool days I was needing to put the top up. With my deflector that wind is reduced. As far as breakability, that is why i used Lexan. I saw some of the screen units, and preferred to have a clear view behind, and easy access to the storage behind driver and passenger. Since the rear seat belts hold it in, the unit would become "locked" in place in the event of a sudden decelleration. I'll try post some pics if I can, but it is not easy to show the detail of a clear plastic.
Alfred

Old 11-15-2009, 09:41 AM
Default pics

I added two pics of the deflector in the photo gallery section of this forum. Please head there for a look see.
Alfred

Old 11-15-2009, 12:59 PM
Veteran Member
Received 537 Likes on 400 Posts

Saw the pics. I do not really like the look much (perhaps it would look more "finished" with a moulding around the piece; I also suspect the plastic will scratch and look scruffy over time). However, your mounting idea seems to be great. I wonder why some aftermarket guys have not come up with something like yours that is secured by the seat belts and could quickly be removed and stowed. I suspect it might be something legal or safety since, during an accident, something like that flying around loose could turn into a guillotine or other dangerous missile.

Doug

Old 11-15-2009, 03:35 PM

It would be bad in an accident if anything let go from behind, fortunately Lexan is very difficult to break.... they use the same material in motorcycle windshields. In a perfect world, I would need to crash a XK8 into a wall to make sure the deflector holds... something i am not prepared to do. As far as scratches, I used an uncoated Lexan, and it will scratch over time. There is a hard scratch-resistant coated Lexan that i will use if i do a production run. If I end up making more units, I'll hit this prototype with a sledge hammer to show how strong it is.
Alfred

Old 11-17-2009, 03:54 AM
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by alfred
After looking at several expensive air deflectors for my XK8, I decided to design and build my own. i used clear lexan and the unit is held in place by the rear seatbelts. It can be left in place without interfering with the convertible roof and does not affect rear visibility. I was considering to do a production run of these over the winter, since my brother works in a plastics factory and I would like to know if there is any interest. The deflector reduces wind back pressure and even kept the rain out when i was caught in a sudden downpour.
Cost will likely be in the $200 Cn range.
If there is interest, I will try post some pics on the design.
Alfred

Old 11-17-2009, 08:54 AM
Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
Default air/wind deflector

I did a similar thing for my 2000 Mustang. I had a roll-bar/light/bar to attach it to and I used velcro on the bar. This put it directly behind your head. No need for air to get through as with a screen and it folded to go into the trunk.
It worked very well with 1/8th Lexan. Lexan at 1/8th will stop a 38 bullet but it does scratch easier than some other plastics.

I'm sorry that I don't have a pic since I sold the car but it was shaped exacly like this pic.

I'm thinking that with the buffetting you will need some sort of structure to support your Lexan, a hoop, light bar or similar.

Last edited by RJag; 04-21-2011 at 02:58 PM.
Old 11-17-2009, 10:30 PM
Default greenjewel

please look in the photo galery where i have posted 2 pics of my design.

As far as support and buffeting, I also though it might occur, but since the sides sits flat on the rear "shoulders" and the seatbelts are woven three times though the unit, and because I used heavier (1/4 ") Lexan, it stays in place... even at speeds where in Canada they take your liscence away.
I must say that I enjoy the views of others on this forum. I did build several units out of hard cardboard and road tested their effects/defects before creating this design. This is my first prototype, so if i can build it better with comments from this forum, that would be wonderful.
Alfred

Old 11-18-2009, 04:31 AM
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

alfred: At what speed will Canada take your license away? I visit Vancouver BC a couple of times a year and at times I do have a heavy right foot.

Old 11-18-2009, 09:21 AM

I live in Ontario, we have a "street racing' law that came into effect two years ago. Not sure about B.C. The law here allows the police to impound your car, take away your liscence and charge you a $10,000 fine for speeds 50 km/hr over the limit.
This is not fair in my opinion, but there was enough public support to pass the law after several serious accidents where rich kids were racing their Beemers. I would support a street racing law within city limits, but on a quiet secondary highway with 90 km/hr limit, you are screwed if you hit 140.... not really fast or racing at all in my opinion.
Quebec is another story ... they have photo radar hidden from view and you get a bill in the mail. I drove through on my way east last summer and only heard about the photo radar later on. I expected some bad news in the mail but got lucky.
Alfred

Old 05-29-2010, 11:48 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,259 Likes on 564 Posts

For those of you who are wondering where the heck the pics are, here's the link (it took me forever to find this).

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/a...hp?albumid=989

Old 05-29-2010, 11:54 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,259 Likes on 564 Posts

By the way, Alfred, I admire your ingenuity, but to be honest, it doesn't look as classy as the factory wind deflector. If it was dirt cheap I might be tempted to buy it, but I can buy the aftermarket mesh wind deflectors for about $350. They look good and I don't think they distract from the car's panache.