convertibles in Colorado.

Thanks for your insight

Cheers

Moltenburn

Old 05-08-2012, 05:02 PM
Veteran Member
Received 443 Likes on 314 Posts

Gunmetal: great color!

The only caveat I would offer is that you won't necessarily hear anything out of the ordinary heralding a tensioner failure. Sort of like heart disease ... the first symptom is sometimes death.

I would just budget in getting the secondaries replaced asap.

At $10.5k, it would be a steal, if all the records are good and clean.

Good luck.

The following users liked this post:
Moltenburn (05-08-2012)
Old 05-08-2012, 05:50 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Tensioners

I disagree the notion that tensioners will fail without any warning. It could and does happen, but in the highest majority of cases, there will be indicators to provide some warning that the tensioners and/or chains are about to cause some major problems for you. I have a 98 XK8 with 80K on it. Had a Jaguar mechanic inspect the chains and tensioners, He says they are like new. He says they are the first generation tensionsers and they are not showing any wear. I discussed this issue at length with him as he has years of experience around V8 Jaguars. In his humble opinion the tensioners were a problem area but, it is very rare that a tensioner will have a total failure without any warning. If you listen carefully, when you start your engine, the tensioners or chains will rattle it they are about to give you problems. You will hear a rattle that may only last a few seconds on the top front of one or both cam covers. If you hear this then check it out. If not, then it unlikely you will suffer any problems.

However, I guess it's better to be safe than sorry. But, this does not alter the fact that based on comments about tensioner replacements there are many forum members who would never take the risk. They have replaced perfectly good parts on their cars for nothing more than peace of mind.

Moltenburn (05-08-2012)
Old 05-08-2012, 06:09 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,110 Likes on 932 Posts

Check the manufacture date on the driver 'B' column. The '02 MY converted to metal tensioners in August '01. If your potential car was manufactured Sept '01 or later it has the latest tensioners. August would require an engine number inspection. Check the FAQ sticky for the fine details.

My '02 had plastic but was manufactured in June '01.

If you are relying on a 'noise' to advise of an impending failure of a plastic tensioner then you are a fool.

Moltenburn (05-08-2012)
Old 05-08-2012, 06:23 PM
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Your first mistake is to call anybody here GENTS,

lets turn this around.

Does it make you happy?
Do you have the money to maintain it?

Assume these things,

If you wrench it yourself think about a possible parts bill of about 800 dollars to wipe the slate clean by fluids filters tensioners etc.

If you have to rely on a mechanic you will see that number jump to 2500-4000

YMMV

Moltenburn (05-08-2012)
Old 05-08-2012, 07:31 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,981 Likes on 2,123 Posts

Originally Posted by trautobro
They have replaced perfectly good parts on their cars for nothing more than peace of mind.

If you reviewed the posts of all those who posted their findings (and there were many) after a preventative tensioner change, the vast majority found at least a 1/4" crack in the plastic housing, some a lot worse. I can recall one, maybe two, who found apparently 'perfectly good parts'. Anecodotal, yes, but good enough for me.

Moltenburn (05-08-2012)
Old 05-08-2012, 07:38 PM
Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Buy it. Do the tensioners, and enjoy the ride.

Moltenburn (05-08-2012)
Old 05-08-2012, 07:52 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Do it! Even at $12k you will enjoy.
I'm getting ready to spring for the "Tensioner Peace of Mind Option"

Moltenburn (05-08-2012)
Old 05-08-2012, 10:29 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just got back from looking the car over and it has potential. Starting a new thread with what I found, stay tuned.

Old 05-09-2012, 03:11 AM
Received 75 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by trautobro
I disagree the notion that tensioners will fail without any warning. It could and does happen, but in the highest majority of cases, there will be indicators to provide some warning that the tensioners and/or chains are about to cause some major problems for you. I have a 98 XK8 with 80K on it. Had a Jaguar mechanic inspect the chains and tensioners, He says they are like new. He says they are the first generation tensionsers and they are not showing any wear. I discussed this issue at length with him as he has years of experience around V8 Jaguars. In his humble opinion the tensioners were a problem area but, it is very rare that a tensioner will have a total failure without any warning. If you listen carefully, when you start your engine, the tensioners or chains will rattle it they are about to give you problems. You will hear a rattle that may only last a few seconds on the top front of one or both cam covers. If you hear this then check it out. If not, then it unlikely you will suffer any problems.

However, I guess it's better to be safe than sorry. But, this does not alter the fact that based on comments about tensioner replacements there are many forum members who would never take the risk. They have replaced perfectly good parts on their cars for nothing more than peace of mind.
You would really risk your engine based on what this mechanic said....knowing the history of these plastic tensioners? I thought my '97 was fine until I heard that little rattle. I didn't ecen kow they were a potential problem, but I was also driving a '91 ZR-1 at the time with the DOHC 32V engine. Those can have a lot of chain rattle without busting anything, but to be safe I replaced my tensioners. It was a helluva lot harder than doing the Jag secondaries, but well worth it to quiet it down.

So, I was super sensitive to the sound of a loose cam chain on startup. When I heard it from the Jag I pulled it in and did the job before I drove another mile. If I had missed the sound -- which is VERY easy to NOT hear inside the Jag's quiet cabin -- I would have destroyed my engine.

There is always more maintenance to be done at that point anyway, so why take a chance for just a few hundred dollars (or even a grand)?