XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Alternative to Alpine CHM-S601

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2011, 08:00 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Alternative to Alpine CHM-S601

My changer gave up. I am looking for another. Are there any alternatives such as with the chm-s630 or any other chm changers work as long as they have the same plug.

Old 07-09-2011, 12:08 PM
Veteran Member
Received 200 Likes on 176 Posts

Pork
The Changer sometimes can get jammed Here's the process takes about 1/2 hour if your not mechanically inclined. This is from another site. but it works, you will be able to move the mechanism after you open it up.

Gently pull back carpeting from cd changer. remove 4 small philip head screws to remove changer. Disconnect pin connector and remove unit from trunk. remove the 6 small philip head screws from cd player casing. Gently seperate the rear of the casing (gently pry away tabs near main wire). Open the unit like a clamshell at the back of the changer. Using a flashlight illuminate the internals. Spray a SMALL amount of lubricant (I used white lithium grease with long skinny straw attachment) onto the exposed gears and levers inside the unit. Temporarily plug unit into the wire harness and test before re-install. Repeat lubricant proceedure if "no love" and try again. My unit took two tries but then started reading and running properly ever since-I hope this works for you as this seems a common problem on this car.

The following users liked this post:
porkenstein (07-09-2011)
Old 07-09-2011, 03:14 PM

I tried that yesterday but no luck. SInce it took you two tries I will do it again. Will post my results. Thanks.

Old 07-18-2011, 02:57 PM

Well I have taken it apart 3 times and lubed it with no good results. Here's the bad news. I found a brand new chm-s630 to replace my 601. Guess what. apparently not compatible. I plugged it in and I can load and eject cds from the unit but my radio doesn't recognize it. Is it not compatible or is there something I need to do to get it to recognize a new changer. Thanks in advance.

Old 07-18-2011, 10:31 PM

Ok no replies on the 630 but I have taken the 601 apart one more time and lubed again. Now the unit takes and ejects the magazine fine but when you put the magazine in the unit it goes through all the cd's and says no cd in unit. Hopefully I am getting close. Any more ideas on this problem

Old 07-19-2011, 09:45 AM
Veteran Member
Received 200 Likes on 176 Posts

Pork
I don't know what to tell you. I would think somebody would have some advise for you.
Good Luck

Old 07-19-2011, 01:48 PM

took it apart one more time and lubed a different set of gears. Finally got it working but don't know for how long. Without doing anything to the car, still sitting where I worked on the changer, now I have an abs fault. Just trying to get it fixed to sell and it's breaking faster than I can fix it and the car is a pristine car. Looks like the day it came out of the showroom. Just doesn't act like it.

Old 07-19-2011, 11:59 PM
Veteran member
Received 1,144 Likes on 750 Posts

pork, first...take a deep breath. In....now out.

I apologize for not coming to your aid sooner on the CD changer, but reading the forums via mobile is nice, however, replying using that small keypad can take forever and looks poorly put together, texting leaves out grammar, punctuation rules, and even integrates shorthand w/o thinking...see, did it already. Anyway, on your changer, if you want that 6-disc to work for you, and the open-up-n-lube method isn't working for you, you will have to get an Alpine-Jaguar branded changer...most likely from a salvage car. The A-J partnership included communication protocols that extended farther than just an Ai-net cable connecting all the parts (head unit, amplifier, navigation, cd changer), but they each have a language proprietary to Alpine-Jaguar, so that other alpine units, like a CD changer, won't actually be recognized by the other components. Problem is, finding a good reliable cd changer that's 5-14 years old is a crapshoot...you may get lucky if you can find an 05 or 06 unit. I tried to buy a salvage DVD navigation drive, and got a DOA unit from an online salvage...gave up after that. you may have better luck.

On the ABS light, if you're only getting ABS, no traction control, I bet you've got a sensor or wiring issue on the front. If it were traction control too (rear wheels involved) it would then lead me to either the rear sensors and/or wiring, or that dreaded ABS module internal short.

One of our other members, Andy94sc has already started working on a PID extraction for the wheel speed sensor outputs themselves...and if he gets the four addresses, you can use them in Torque (on an android phone) for $5. I promise, once you have the code for the ABS fault, it will SOOO very much nail down the corner of the car, and or lead you to the ABS module for a narrowed diagnosis. Don't sell now just because its got a light on...that's why alot of previous owners dump these older xks and we can pick them up at such good prices, they didn't have the patience to work through the diagnostic tree. It could be a $5 fix, or a $150 module rebuild...and either one, or anywhere inbetween will still be a pallatable repair on a 14yr old car.

The following users liked this post:
porkenstein (07-20-2011)
Old 07-20-2011, 12:47 AM

Thanks so much. That makes me feel a little better. I guess I just need more patience. I use to have it when I was younger but not so much anymore. I have all the time in the world as I am retired. I actually need things to do. I guess I just need to spend a little more time with the car. I think my biggest problem is thinking and worrying about whats next. It's really been a good car and nothing looks like a Jag.

Old 07-20-2011, 06:59 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

porkenstein, I ran into the same issue. I purchased an Alpine changer with the same plug as my OEM changer, however it did not communicate with the head unit. I then purchased a pre-owned changer on Ebay. Plugged it in, and I was back in business. If you decide to go that route, just be sure that the part #'s are the same. There are several listed on Ebay now.