Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another Door Glass Thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2016, 10:14 AM
Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Another Door Glass Thread

Hi All,

I'd like to share last weekend's door glass experience. My RH window began closing with a slight nose down attitude a month or two ago, so I added "Door Glass Adjustment" to my project list and carried on. The other day, as the window closed I heard a pop as it got within a couple inches of closing. The pop was closely followed by the sound of something landing inside the door as the window cocked and jammed. Drat! I had to grab the top of the window and help it into position.

I thought that one of the plastic sliders (item 9) had broken and ordered a pair off eBay - really cheap. After removing the window and regulator (see https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...ap-out-156573/ for an excellent pictorial by RaceDiagnostics) I found the broken remains of P/N GJA1949AC Guide, Door Glass in the bottom of the door. It's item 8 in the illustration and is located about at the beltline. I tried, with no success, to glue the parts back into position. Without this part the window simply won't operate properly. Not wanting to drive with a gutted door all week I used two strips of Velcro (fuzzy side) as a temporary replacement. I cut the strips 3/16" or so wide. The first one goes in the same spot as the plastic guide. The second strip is about 3/4" long and lies in the bottom of the rail starting at the top of the first strip. This way it acts as a ramp and provides about the same thickness as the original part. Using my handy new sliders (mine were cracked) I put the door together and was very happy with the operation.

So, with the car ready for service I hit the internet for a couple new GJA1949AC guides. The first couple spots I checked showed the part as no longer available. Not good. Another of my go-to vendors showed the part as active and I placed an order. The bad news came on Monday - NLA. Maybe I'll sell Velcro kits!

Mike

Old 06-25-2016, 11:11 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,808 Likes on 1,115 Posts

Originally Posted by Stratohammer
Hi All,

I'd like to share last weekend's door glass experience. My RH window began closing with a slight nose down attitude a month or two ago, so I added "Door Glass Adjustment" to my project list and carried on. The other day, as the window closed I heard a pop as it got within a couple inches of closing. The pop was closely followed by the sound of something landing inside the door as the window cocked and jammed. Drat! I had to grab the top of the window and help it into position.

I thought that one of the plastic sliders (item 9) had broken and ordered a pair off eBay - really cheap. After removing the window and regulator (see https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...ap-out-156573/ for an excellent pictorial by RaceDiagnostics) I found the broken remains of P/N GJA1949AC Guide, Door Glass in the bottom of the door. It's item 8 in the illustration and is located about at the beltline. I tried, with no success, to glue the parts back into position. Without this part the window simply won't operate properly. Not wanting to drive with a gutted door all week I used two strips of Velcro (fuzzy side) as a temporary replacement. I cut the strips 3/16" or so wide. The first one goes in the same spot as the plastic guide. The second strip is about 3/4" long and lies in the bottom of the rail starting at the top of the first strip. This way it acts as a ramp and provides about the same thickness as the original part. Using my handy new sliders (mine were cracked) I put the door together and was very happy with the operation.

So, with the car ready for service I hit the internet for a couple new GJA1949AC guides. The first couple spots I checked showed the part as no longer available. Not good. Another of my go-to vendors showed the part as active and I placed an order. The bad news came on Monday - NLA. Maybe I'll sell Velcro kits!

Mike
Mike in cash you can use it: when working on this window, if you have to hold it up, a good old pipe clamp (stanley pistol grip rubber pads) works like a charm.

Old 06-25-2016, 03:06 PM
Veteran Member
Received 775 Likes on 466 Posts

Mike, I'm parting out 2 convertibles. PM me if intinterested.
Bob