Another rear view mirror failure

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2010, 06:34 PM
Veteran Member
Received 305 Likes on 217 Posts
Smile Another rear view mirror failure

Originally Posted by ek_mundo
Hello

The next TWO projects ... replace the rear view mirror. The oil in the mirror isn't leaking but it doesn't work. I emailed a firm about a remenufactured peplacement. The second project is figuring out how to replace the light bulb or LED that lights up the radio. The LCD works with the channel or CD number, but no backlighting when the headlights are on. So, it's darn near impossible to see in low light situations. I have no experience at getting the radio out to even look at it.
Later
Ed K
Is the mirror replacement firm Sybesma's Electronics? That is where I got mine, for about $100. If you haven't already, check out this thread: https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=17719

Old 08-13-2010, 02:54 PM
Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

Hello,
I contacted Sybesma's Electronics. Here was their reply ...
Unfortunately, we do not have the plastics in house to build you a mirror as a pre-exchange. However, if you would like to send your mirror into us, as a repair and return, we will gladly exchange out the defective glass cell. The cost for repair is $95 (including shipping/handling) which will be retained up front prior to the repair. Please be advised that, to repair your mirror, we must open the plastics in your mirror. In the rare instance your plastics break beyond repair, Sybesma's will make every effort to find a comparable replacement but no guarantees are made. If unit does break, $15 will be retained as a bench fee and $80 refunded. (If you would like your mirror shipped back, an additional $16 in shipping/handling charges will apply) Please send your mirror along with contact info (or the initial order form sent) stating you would like the mirror repaired and returned.

I found a replacement on eBay that matches my year and wire configuration. Thanks for your note. I am enjoying the I now have folks to talk with about our Jags.
Take care
Ed K

Old 08-20-2010, 04:59 PM
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Hey Ed... what year is your XK8? I have a 99 that just now the mirror went out. Be warned that after 1 day mine did leak out of the bottom of the mirror but i managed to catch most of it. Also, i appreciate the info on the rear subs.. mine went out about a month ago and i just have been listening to the fronts.. but I think the stocks was just fine. I am no sound person just want to hear it.. not analyze it! lol

I was just getting the Sybesma's a call today but if you have the same year cat.. then probably will have the same problem.

Again.. thanks to ALL in the forums!!

Old 08-21-2010, 01:51 PM
Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi Mike,
My XK8 is a 1997. I bought it almost 8 years ago and tolerated the dysfunctional mirror most of that time. When I exchanged emails with Sybesma's my concern arose whrn they discussed how they couldn't be sure that they might not break the mirror shell when disassembling and then they'd charge a $15 bench fee for trying and refund the rest.

The used mirror that I purchased on eBay was from a 1996 and it's working just fine so far. It was $100. Change out took all of 15 minutes, including sodering the mirror wires to the connector. It was nice having the mirror working properly.

Regarding the rear speakers, the failure on mine seemed to happen rather quickly and was perhaps correlated to my son using the Jag for the prom. Oh well. I don't consider myself an avid sound person. Once the old speaker was floating, things were a mess. I adjusted the system toward the front, but was concerned about eventually damaging them as well.

The photo series using the JL Audio speakers was my inspiration to look in earnest. I was looing for a fit (size, specifications and price) that worked for me. When I ordered the Kicker 6w3's I thought that they may fit without any plastic surgery. They were very close. However, with the Dremel tool, the removal of the plastic rim on the subwoofer box took only a few minutes.

Later
Ed K

Old 08-21-2010, 06:50 PM
Veteran member
Received 1,143 Likes on 749 Posts

hey guys, I split these posts out from the subwoofer replacement topic, seemed appropriate not to muddy it up.

Old 08-28-2010, 01:49 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for this.