XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another XK8 Possibility... Input appreciated.

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2014, 04:00 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another XK8 Possibility... Input appreciated.

My last couple of XK8 prospects have fallen out various issues.. Today I came across another candidate. Its a clean 2000 XK8 at a reasonable asking price (asking price under $6k).

The negative is high 120k mileage, but car looks very good, and runs perfectly. Recent servicing with replaced coils, new ABS module, fresh hoses, new brakes and good tires.. Convt. top operates perfectly. All windows, seats, steering wheel adjustments etc operate perfectly. Excellent original body and paint condition with no clear coat haze or checking. Transmission is smooth with no lags or clunks. Engine feels strong and sounds great. No hesitation, ticking or odd noises. Seller says he believes tensioners were "probably done" by an earlier owner, but cannot offer proof, so I will need to do an exploration on this at a minimum.

Besides the lack of info on the tensioners, my concern is low front suspension height when measured from center of wheel hub to fender.. I read that spec is about 15.74" and this one measures 14.2".. The packing or gunk at top of shock towers has deteriorated. There is also a bit of jumpiness on rough roads from front end, but it feels stable upon braking.. How big of a job is this to remedy-repair?

The other issue is color, which is a highly subjective issue.. This car is Carnival Red, which is not one of my favorites, but I can deal with it.. However I wonder if Carnival Red is a negative for resale on a downstream basis?

Any thoughts or suggestions appreciated.. I have already used this forum as my guidepost in shopping for an XK8 a few times and I ask for your input on this one....... Input is greatly appreaciated!

Last edited by donfenn; 08-28-2014 at 04:35 PM.
Old 08-28-2014, 04:47 PM
Received 4,182 Likes on 3,645 Posts

replacing the upper shock mounts is not that bad of a job - recommend replacing bushings, shocks and if necessary the ball joints at the same time.

As for color - Carnivel red is my second favorite behind the Sapphire Blue and have seen some spectacular looking Carnival Red Xk's so really see no issue there

Old 08-28-2014, 05:34 PM

Originally Posted by sklimii
replacing the upper shock mounts is not that bad of a job - recommend replacing bushings, shocks and if necessary the ball joints at the same time.

As for color - Carnivel red is my second favorite behind the Sapphire Blue and have seen some spectacular looking Carnival Red Xk's so really see no issue there
If I am not inclined to do the suspension update what should this cost through a decent independent garage??

Old 08-28-2014, 06:40 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,323 Likes on 735 Posts

The parts alone will be in the $500 range and labor close to the same. While the mounts are being done all is exposed for the rest of it, so "get er done".

Wayne

Old 08-28-2014, 06:50 PM
Received 4,182 Likes on 3,645 Posts

donfenn - I have recently seen the error of my ways and am now in the mindset as Wayne - several months ago with ~115-120Kmiles I replaced the upper shock mounts, bushings and upper ball joint but left the shocks alone. While doing the repairs, noticed the lower shock bushings were failing but let it go. Now about 15K miles later will be going in to replace the shocks.

Old 08-28-2014, 07:09 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,541 Likes on 1,412 Posts

Donfenn,
I have 150,000 miles on my 2002 XKR Carnival Red convertible, and it is my daily driver here in Los Angeles for the last 5 years or so. I have put 90,000 of the 150,000 on it. It runs as strong as it ever has, and I need to do the shock mounts as well, but otherwise it's a pleasure to drive. In many ways, I like the ride more than in my 2010 XKR coupe.

You need to know definitively about the tensioners, and if the oem hydraulic hoses haven't been replaced, you will be replacing them soon (right after your "green shower."

As for the Carnival Red, I think it is the best exterior color, although I prefer it with the black interior not the tan. After 12 years my car still looks essentially new.

Good luck with your purchase.

Attached Thumbnails Another XK8 Possibility... Input appreciated.-dscf0524-1280x960-.jpg   Another XK8 Possibility... Input appreciated.-dscf0522-1280x960-.jpg   Another XK8 Possibility... Input appreciated.-dscf0403-1280x960-.jpg   Another XK8 Possibility... Input appreciated.-dscf0820-800x600-.jpg  
Old 08-28-2014, 11:14 PM
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Carnival Red is a lovely colour!

Old 08-29-2014, 10:27 AM
Veteran Member
Received 600 Likes on 446 Posts

You might want to check this one out, it's in your neck of the woods and at this point a good price

Jaguar : XKR Base Convertible 2-Door

Old 08-29-2014, 11:29 AM
Veteran Member
Received 364 Likes on 327 Posts

The Red is NICE. And if you ever sell it, red typically can't hurt ya. I would get the tensioners done.

My car also is running little over an inch lower up front. Will replacing top mounts get the car closer to stock height?

Old 08-29-2014, 12:02 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,783 Likes on 2,227 Posts

Replacing the mounts will usually give 1/2". It is possible to put a spacer 3/8" thick between the shock mount and the pocket.

Old 08-29-2014, 12:14 PM
Veteran Member
Received 364 Likes on 327 Posts

I would think my struts and or springs are weak now, making it sit lower.

Old 08-29-2014, 01:03 PM
Received 77 Likes on 68 Posts

replacing the shocks (the lower bushing will look like crap when removed ) and mounts and most likely the upper control mounts will be about 600 in parts 200 for the mounts if you rebuild them yourself (very easy and need a pop rivet gun) shocks around 200 (easy) upper bushings around 200 (easy if oem is used and find a like 6 or 8 in bolt to use as a guide for the spacers and bushing on the opposite side of the side your entering from) rent a spring compressor (free from autozone,orielys etc just leave a deposit for the cost of it and its refunded when returned and its time consuming and alot of labor) talking about 8 hrs for both sides

Old 08-29-2014, 03:44 PM

Thanks for the input... Does the 15.74 hub to wheel lip measurement change due to tire/wheel type/size?

Old 08-29-2014, 04:11 PM
Received 55 Likes on 51 Posts
Default My XK shrunk but I love the look.

So I measured my front hub to fender today and it's 14 3/4 inch should be 15 something. I'm replacing the offending top shock mount,shocks etc... But I love the stance. So which springs do I need to get her back down.
In the rear what is the measurement supposed to be and is it prone to dropping like the front?
Thanks guys.

Old 08-29-2014, 10:19 PM
Received 674 Likes on 487 Posts
Default Mina Gallery or HK

I tried springs from both of these companies for the car and they worked fine. The car is nice lowered. If you go wider with the tires you'll need to work with the wheel well liners a bit through or they'll hit.

The following users liked this post:
Loxmth (08-30-2014)
Old 08-30-2014, 06:47 AM
Received 55 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by enderle
I tried springs from both of these companies for the car and they worked fine. The car is nice lowered. If you go wider with the tires you'll need to work with the wheel well liners a bit through or they'll hit.
Mina I know got my rear muffler delete from them. HK? So I want the car at the same ride height with worn shock mount but I don't want the ride to be stiffer.

Old 08-30-2014, 11:32 AM
Received 188 Likes on 123 Posts
Default XK8 Possibility----

All good points, but a little note from an old fart........

Doing the upper shock mounts are a n/a for a mechanicaly inclined person, and if your so inclined, not to worry, except: If the bolt that holds the upper a frame on is frozen to the bushings or the a-frame housing, you could be in a mess. Look thru this forum for reports on removing this bolt and go from there. Some have even had to cut the bolt and use heat to remove it--takes tools the average guy may not have. Plus ability.

I'm not sure I understand your concern about re-selling the car down the road because of the color. You said they wanted a little under 6K for it-- "down the road", hell you could give it away for that price and would still have had one hell of a ride up to then.

If this car is as good as you discribe and they only want "under" 6K for it, and your concern is about the 120K miles, in my honest opinion, there is something majorly wrong under the sheets. You better look alot closer and deeper. The old saying use to be: "They saw you coming". There are people on this forum (likely) that pay that much for a bicycle.

Chuck
05/XK8 Conv.

Old 08-30-2014, 04:01 PM

Thanks for the input.. As for price, there are seemingly more than a few 1998-2000 XK8s in the 5.5-7k price range, but each one has its own set of issues..

I went back and looked at this one and checked the front end again and its actually only 14" from hub to wheel lip... That's 1.75 inches low.. No doubt that front shocks, bushings and suspension will need the full refurb and update.. So I figure that I have to put about $1000 into the front end. Then there is another $900-1100 for timing chains, if I pull cover and find that they were not done, so even a $6k car could turn out at $8k or more...

So, this car with more than 120k miles could end up being a real investment of $8000 or more...which is market price around here. The fact that I wish it was another color too might make me pass on this....

Old 08-30-2014, 08:36 PM
Received 674 Likes on 487 Posts
Default I'd keep looking

These come on the market reasonably regularly. I wanted a blue portfolio and found two red ones, didn't like the color either, so just kept looking and in about a month a blue one showed up in Florida. I got a couple surprises like a broken fuel rail and the fact it was a full re-spray (nice job though) which taught me to fly out next time or hire a local independent mechanic but all in all it worked out well for what I wanted. But a color change is really expensive to do well and even a wrap on red would be problematic.

Good hunting!

Try Car Gurus (watch the dealer rankings):

I found a 2003 that looks to be a steal for the price (this looks like a 2004 car to me): 2000 Jaguar XK-Series For Sale in San Jose, CA - CarGurus

I found a pretty 2001 with low miles: 2000 Jaguar XK-Series For Sale in San Jose, CA - CarGurus

and interesting 2004 with really low miles (the 2004 update was a big one): 2000 Jaguar XK-Series For Sale in San Jose, CA - CarGurus

Old 08-31-2014, 08:36 AM
Received 77 Likes on 68 Posts

being in la and the car has such carisma am sure there are ton of them out there just keep looking and youll find the cat your looking for. mine is metallic topaz which is lovely in the sunlight and doesnt show dirt easily, so it even looks clean when it isnt. maybe contact a local jaguar dealership and tell them what your looking for. they usually take the older trade ins and auction them off due to maintence costs. when you find the one your supposed to have it will be love at first sight.

Quick Reply: Another XK8 Possibility... Input appreciated.