XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any thoughts guy and girls?

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2012, 08:28 AM
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Any thoughts guy and girls?

I'm seriously thinking of buying this car. Its older but the condition and work gone into it is nothing short of amazing. But I need someone to slap me back to reality if I'm on the wrong track. Take a look, see what you think.

Used Jaguar XKR Arden 450HP for sale - PistonHeads (Ref 747404)

Anyone?

Old 12-16-2012, 08:48 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,106 Likes on 763 Posts

Your signature states you are looking for a project so I'd guess that is the largest consideration, as this car appears to be "done" already.

If you are looking for opinions, the engine mods sound like the right ones but for myself, I don't care for the Arden gear at all. Indifferent to the body kit, dislike the front grille and despise those four circle tail lights.

Old 12-16-2012, 08:58 AM

Originally Posted by ccfulton
Your signature states you are looking for a project so I'd guess that is the largest consideration, as this car appears to be "done" already.

If you are looking for opinions, the engine mods sound like the right ones but for myself, I don't care for the Arden gear at all. Indifferent to the body kit, dislike the front grille and despise those four circle tail lights.
Well, yeah when I joined up it was a project I was looking for. Performance mods on this are probably more or less exactly what I would do and so I could stamp it "job done". I hear you about body-mods but I kind of like the whole 'old school' feel of the car overall. I'm going to see the car in afew days. This car is probably one of the best sorted 2000 models out there. I'll know what I see it in the flesh. Thanks for your input.

Old 12-16-2012, 10:38 AM
Veteran Member
Received 576 Likes on 475 Posts

I know the owner.... If you are serious let me have an email and I will pass it on to him, he is a member of he XKEC and now a proud owner of a DB9

Old 12-16-2012, 10:42 AM

Originally Posted by XKRacer
I know the owner.... If you are serious let me have an email and I will pass it on to him, he is a member of he XKEC and now a proud owner of a DB9
I'm deadly serious - so much so that my wife has that hang dog forlorn look that she always gets when I go shopping for a car;

Pop me a mail at steve@stevehancock.co.uk

Old 12-16-2012, 10:52 AM
Received 86 Likes on 55 Posts
Default nice

verry nice mate but 23grand are you shure,there are plenty out there look just as nice for half the price but if thats your dream buddy go for it.

Old 12-16-2012, 11:27 AM
Veteran Member

Email has been passed on..... This XK is far from standard and has a meticulous owner, no expense spared, yes it maybe up there with the most expensive but I am sure it is nothing compared to what has been spent

Old 12-16-2012, 12:13 PM

Originally Posted by graham11
verry nice mate but 23grand are you shure,there are plenty out there look just as nice for half the price but if thats your dream buddy go for it.
Yep, much like XKRacer said below really. I doubt the price was simply slapped on with little thought? I bought a standard mk2 Focus RS and then threw £10k at it to get it where I wanted it. I dont have to do that with this car - and my mileage will be low - but regular longish runs, sooooo. No point spending £10k on an XKR and then getting the bug - or worse still, find that some of the basics haven't even been covered. Thats my thinking anyway.

Old 12-16-2012, 12:14 PM
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by XKRacer
Email has been passed on..... This XK is far from standard and has a meticulous owner, no expense spared, yes it maybe up there with the most expensive but I am sure it is nothing compared to what has been spent
Nice one

Attached Images  
Old 12-17-2012, 04:51 AM
Veteran member
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

It doesn't really matter how much has been spent, but how much the market is prepared to pay. £23K for a 12 year old XKR, even with 450hp, seems very optimistic. Just for comparison, I paid £13K for my 2006 and then spent about £250 on a simple sports exhaust and air filter. It dynoed at 418hp.

Old 12-17-2012, 05:23 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Frog
It doesn't really matter how much has been spent, but how much the market is prepared to pay. £23K for a 12 year old XKR, even with 450hp, seems very optimistic. Just for comparison, I paid £13K for my 2006 and then spent about £250 on a simple sports exhaust and air filter. It dynoed at 418hp.

But your car is pretty standard on the whole, this XKR is pretty much sorted, the speed shift is a good add on, if someone wanted me to fit everything that has been done to it they would have to part with £20K or there abouts....... It really depends on what you want, for some it is the modifying they enjoy and once done they sell, some can not be asked to go through it all and want something already done, it is all individual...

Yes it is high but I would of thought there is always room to negotiate, knowing RGC I bet they will not be selling it for free even if it is on sale or return

Old 12-17-2012, 06:19 AM
Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts

I would buy the new shape if i wanted to spend 23k.. not an old car done up like a dogs dinner..it can have as many horse power as you like its still
can only go 70 mph or risk your ticket.would not touch it with a barge pole

Last edited by dennisw; 12-17-2012 at 07:23 AM.
Old 12-17-2012, 03:32 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,541 Likes on 1,412 Posts

The car looks great (although, I also don't care for the rear lights). It seems a little steep in price, however what they're asking might not be what you end up paying for it. Steering wheel mounted shifter, where and how was this accomplished, lover the idea. Great color. If you like it, go for it!

Old 12-17-2012, 04:36 PM
Received 6,253 Likes on 5,453 Posts

Originally Posted by tberg
Steering wheel mounted shifter, where and how was this accomplished, lover the idea.
You'll have to drive to the UK if you want one.
RACING GREEN CARS | Jaguar XK8/XKR 1996-2006

Old 12-18-2012, 12:03 AM
Veteran Member
Received 133 Likes on 107 Posts

If you like everything they've done, then go for it, for all the time and effort put in, you won't get a better deal.

If you don't like everything they've done, you're paying a lot of money for a car you might want to change around...

Old 12-18-2012, 12:32 AM
Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Any thoughts, guys and girls?

I am just one of those retched colonials who learned some Britspeak from Flight Leftenant Watson at the UN base near RADWANIYAH, iRAQ. What I have learned many times in lifee is that buying on the cheap is rarrely a good idea, especially witth a quality car like the Jaguar. I have never seen an Arden JAG except on you-tube, but if that car is a look you like and has the mods you want, you'll never buy it cheaper than from another person who doesn't expect to recover 100% of his mods price. Most Jag drivers are purists. Arden lets theeir hair hang out a little. I think you would enjoy the car- but they are riight, it doies seem for a 2000 to be overpriced. Good luck with your car- it is a great time.

Old 12-18-2012, 02:34 AM
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Way over priced!

Old 12-18-2012, 03:02 AM
Veteran Member
Received 687 Likes on 590 Posts

Originally Posted by Arland Green
I am just one of those retched colonials who learned some Britspeak from Flight Leftenant Watson at the UN base near RADWANIYAH, iRAQ.
That was a long time ago - where you with UNSCOM ?
Back to topic you are buying a thirteen year old car - obviously with an excellent provenance and lots of goodies but it is still thirteen years old.

Old 12-18-2012, 11:50 PM
Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

No, I was doing assessments of infrastructure water utilities at Iraqi bases in 2004-2009 and did such a good job the RAF Leftenant got me a crate of beer- a wooden crate with 15 bottles in iit. Then they scared the crap out of me flying under electric wires in an RAF Merlin helicopter.

Old 12-19-2012, 08:59 AM

OK - I've now bought this car. And to be honest the RG advert doesnt do it justice. In the flesh its something else.

Thank you all for your comments. I mean even the one about the body-mods. I have tended to gloss over those comments because looks and styling is a very personal thing really. It would be like me going into your house and saying "Yuch that wallpaper is crap". Personally, I like the bit of old-school, street feel to the car. And believe me, there isn't a better one out there, I looked.

Both body-mods and mechanical performance modifications are second to none and to describe the previous owner as meticulous would be an understatement - and he was exceptionally helpful as was Ken at RGC. I am very confident about this car.

Price, yep optimistically priced (although I didn't pay what was being asked) but to be honest as I said to the last owner - there is nothing out there to compare it with so it makes it very difficult to haggle. I am looking for 3 possibly 4 years of use and maybe 3k or 4k a year. Basically a weekend blast and a run or two to Wales. By the time I come to sell, it will be just about nicely run in

Oh and I shall be taking as good a care of this car as the last owner.

Like I said guys, many thanks for all of your input and I will be a regular back and fore to thise forums.

Quick Reply: Any thoughts guy and girls?