XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone experienced corrosion here?

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2011, 08:35 AM
Veteran member
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts
Default Anyone experienced corrosion here?

There appears to be the beginnings of corrosion at the front (door mirror level) and rear (roof level) of the rubberised metal trims next to the door seals. Both sides of the car are affected.

Although it's not very serious (yet), I fear will be difficult to repair as the thin rubberised coating cannot be peeled back enough to allow the corrosion to be treated.

Is this a known problem and can it be treated?

Rev, can you do a video?

Old 03-06-2011, 08:52 AM
Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts

That is not an uncommon problem, to replace them they just pull off.

Old 03-06-2011, 09:26 AM
Veteran member

Originally Posted by Jaxkr
That is not an uncommon problem, to replace them they just pull off.
Any idea of the cost? Seems pretty bad for a car that's barely 5 years old

Old 03-06-2011, 09:49 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,257 Likes on 563 Posts

I have zero corrosion on my car, although I don't think I've examined it as closely as you've examined yours. Mine sleeps in a garage, which I'm sure helps.

Old 03-06-2011, 11:27 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,062 Likes on 759 Posts

Actually it seems common, and on more places unfortunately.

Old 03-06-2011, 01:42 PM
Veteran member

As the corroded area is so small (approx. 1cm at each end), I think I'll have a go at removing the strip to see if the rubberised coating can then be peeled back enough for the repair. Bit of a cr@ppy design, if you ask me...

Old 03-06-2011, 08:27 PM
Received 169 Likes on 84 Posts

I found true corrosion on mine. Driver side floor board has hole through the floor panel and right side was getting ready to go through.
Luckily I have all the welding tools and skill I need, after working on my 62 Mark2. I will post some pictures of both locations and how to fix it.
Both places are almost impossible to notice through the rust proofind tar.

Old 03-07-2011, 12:30 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Mish_Mish
I found true corrosion on mine. Driver side floor board has hole through the floor panel and right side was getting ready to go through.
Luckily I have all the welding tools and skill I need, after working on my 62 Mark2. I will post some pictures of both locations and how to fix it.
Both places are almost impossible to notice through the rust proofind tar.
Is this more a problem in areas where it snows or rains a lot? I'm thinking I should have a really good look at the underside of my car. I've never gotten underneath it cause I don't have floor jacks.

Old 03-07-2011, 02:49 AM
Veteran Member
Received 576 Likes on 475 Posts

There are a few corrosion areas on XKs that will affect EVERY X100 in time, and all of these points are well documented on the XKEC forum.

The window trim sets bubble under the rubber and the paint flakes off due to poor finishing from factory, there are no longer complete sets available, let alone the price has trippled, assuming you could buy a set they would cost you £1500 ($2250)!
You need to grease your rubber sections with silicone spray to try and prevent water getting between the rubber and aluminium trim, once it does as it is untreated will start to corrode. If it is just the paintwork that is easily fixable.

The floor sections corrode between the floor panel and the strengthening plate, the plate has no use and was only put there for production purposes. I often get XKs with holes big enough to put your fist through, cut them off, waxoyl them up, but they need protecting.

The rear wing just above the rear bumper, inside the boot/trunk area there is a vent, this is there to allow the pressure to escape when closing the lid, these vents are in direct firing line to your rear wheels and in time mud and stones will hold the vents open allowing the well area to fill up with all kinds of garbage which in turn will hold water and your wings will rust from the inside out. This particular rust point is not very well kown as it has taken a long time for it to be noticed, but if you have paint bubbling above the rear bumper I would lay money on it you have a very expensive problem on your hands. Clean the area out and waxoyl it, be careful not to spray the vents.

Name:  IMG_2829.jpg
Views: 305
Size:  143.4 KB

Front footwells

Name:  IMG_2826.jpg
Views: 243
Size:  143.2 KB

Name:  BootVentPosition-1.jpg
Views: 235
Size:  49.5 KB

The pic above is showing you where the vent is located

Name:  IMG_2701.jpg
Views: 226
Size:  71.0 KB

If you are planning on keep your XK for a long time and you live in an area that has wet, cold weather and particularly if road salt is used, you really need to get your P&J treated.

The following 2 users liked this post by XKRacer:
Skid Mark (03-07-2011), WhiteXKR (03-07-2011)
Old 03-07-2011, 07:09 AM

Originally Posted by XKRacer
There are a few corrosion areas on XKs that will affect EVERY X100 in time, and all of these points are well documented on the XKEC forum.

The window trim sets bubble under the rubber and the paint flakes off due to poor finishing from factory, there are no longer complete sets available, let alone the price has trippled, assuming you could buy a set they would cost you £1500 ($2250)!
You need to grease your rubber sections with silicone spray to try and prevent water getting between the rubber and aluminium trim, once it does as it is untreated will start to corrode. If it is just the paintwork that is easily fixable.

The floor sections corrode between the floor panel and the strengthening plate, the plate has no use and was only put there for production purposes. I often get XKs with holes big enough to put your fist through, cut them off, waxoyl them up, but they need protecting.

The rear wing just above the rear bumper, inside the boot/trunk area there is a vent, this is there to allow the pressure to escape when closing the lid, these vents are in direct firing line to your rear wheels and in time mud and stones will hold the vents open allowing the well area to fill up with all kinds of garbage which in turn will hold water and your wings will rust from the inside out. This particular rust point is not very well kown as it has taken a long time for it to be noticed, but if you have paint bubbling above the rear bumper I would lay money on it you have a very expensive problem on your hands. Clean the area out and waxoyl it, be careful not to spray the vents.

Front footwells

The pic above is showing you where the vent is located

If you are planning on keep your XK for a long time and you live in an area that has wet, cold weather and particularly if road salt is used, you really need to get your P&J treated.

Yes, here is what I have, on a lot smaller scale however.
This is my XJ-S all over again

I planning to separate strengthening plate from the floor board, sand blast area and patch everything nicely.
BTW, my car came from Florida, so this whole "snow and salt" argument does not work with Jaguars

Old 03-07-2011, 07:55 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,110 Likes on 932 Posts

If you live near the coast the salt in the air is maybe worst than Winter road salt as it is year round.

Old 03-07-2011, 08:09 AM
Received 53 Likes on 28 Posts

If you are planning on keep your XK for a long time and you live in an area that has wet, cold weather and particularly if road salt is used, you really need to get your P&J treated

I will probably feel stupid when I find out the answer, but that has never stopped me before. What is "P&J"

Last edited by Glenn Barickman; 03-07-2011 at 08:11 AM.
Old 03-07-2011, 09:35 AM

Originally Posted by Glenn Barickman
If you are planning on keep your XK for a long time and you live in an area that has wet, cold weather and particularly if road salt is used, you really need to get your P&J treated

I will probably feel stupid when I find out the answer, but that has never stopped me before. What is "P&J"
Same here, I was thinking it meant Punjab, or Peanut butter & Jelly perhaps?

Old 03-07-2011, 03:45 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,423 Likes on 1,936 Posts

Pride and Joy

Looking at those pictures, I can see the Pride bit wilting and the Joy turning to chagrin

Old 03-07-2011, 06:21 PM

G-d, this "Top Gear" grade of English is a bit too much for me
I'll just stick to likin' them British cars and speakin' redneck, as my second language

P.S. my Jaguars are my P&J, especially the 62 MK2