Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Audio guys: help please

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2011, 07:47 PM
Veteran Member
Received 443 Likes on 314 Posts
Default Audio guys: help please

New one for me. When moving ignition switch from off to acc, and when doing the reverse, there is sort of a pop coming from the right side dash speaker. And this happens even if the power to the sound system is OFF!

Have not started to poke at it yet. Anyone have an insight on this? TIA.

Old 10-04-2011, 12:09 AM
Veteran member
Received 1,144 Likes on 750 Posts

That pop is coming from the amp, the radio won't have any affect on it whether its on or off. You being an electrics guru, if you can add a relay to turn the amp on just a few seconds after the ACC is turned by the key, it may stop the popping, or better yet, turn on the amp sooner Normally, the popping is heard on shutdown, not when powering it on. They solved it by keeping the amp on just a bit longer when everythign else was turned off with the key, then shutting it would quietly turn itself off.

You'll find an easy solution, I know it.

Old 10-04-2011, 05:32 AM
Veteran Member

Thanks, Matt

I did not realize the amp is powered even with the head unit turned off. So that's SOP in current systems?

But something is going south in there, I'm afriad. I forgot to mention that the problem has progressed to now hearing some grumbling in that one speaker as I drive. Just the one speaker, pretty sure. The speaker also does deliver the audio signal.

Hoping for a simple connectivity or ground problem. But I no longer have the skills or access to the equipment to really go at this if it's not something trivial.

Do you know of a good repair shop, just in case?

Originally Posted by H20boy
That pop is coming from the amp, the radio won't have any affect on it whether its on or off. You being an electrics guru, if you can add a relay to turn the amp on just a few seconds after the ACC is turned by the key, it may stop the popping, or better yet, turn on the amp sooner Normally, the popping is heard on shutdown, not when powering it on. They solved it by keeping the amp on just a bit longer when everythign else was turned off with the key, then shutting it would quietly turn itself off.

You'll find an easy solution, I know it.

Old 10-04-2011, 11:41 PM
Veteran member
Received 1,144 Likes on 750 Posts

Well, if the amp is dying, repair is going to be difficult. Those units have the crossovers built in as well. You might be better off sourcing a used amp as they don't go bad very often, your odds of getting a good one that'll last a long time is high. I'd suggest a new amp, but you'll lose the crossovers...not an option really.

Try pulling the offending speaker first, and replace it with any ol' speaker...see if it still does it. It may be the speaker itself. If not, try intercepting the leads out of the amplifier and attach your speaker there temporarily...test again. That'll rule out any short along the wiring path to the front of the car, and you'll be left with the amp as the cause if it still persists.

Old 10-05-2011, 03:50 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by H20boy
Well, if the amp is dying, repair is going to be difficult. Those units have the crossovers built in as well. You might be better off sourcing a used amp as they don't go bad very often, your odds of getting a good one that'll last a long time is high. I'd suggest a new amp, but you'll lose the crossovers...not an option really.

Try pulling the offending speaker first, and replace it with any ol' speaker...see if it still does it. It may be the speaker itself. If not, try intercepting the leads out of the amplifier and attach your speaker there temporarily...test again. That'll rule out any short along the wiring path to the front of the car, and you'll be left with the amp as the cause if it still persists.

Thanks, Matt. Sounds like a plan to me. Unfortunately this work must compete with the honey-do list, and that is very tough to compete with.

Old 10-05-2011, 05:02 PM
Veteran Member
Received 537 Likes on 400 Posts

I'm sorry everyone but I just can't help myself. But do you think the problem might be a resistor?

There I've said it--doh!!!!

Doug

P.S. Hoping you have a sense of humor