Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Audio System modifications?

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2012, 12:17 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Audio System modifications?

Hello all -

Last week I purchased my first Jag - a 1997 XK8. I love it to death.

I'd like to ask all of you about audio system modifications. I think at least one of the door speakers on the passenger side need to be replaced, and I'd like to be able to connect an ipod or other mp3 player, but I don't want wires everywhere. I'd also like to be able to play MP3 CDs. I do have one of those cassette deck audio adapters and also one of those mp3 players that transmit over FM frequencies, but those are both messy, wires everywhere or use up space. I'd like things to be as clean and uncluttered as possible, and sound great as well.

Could you please tell me about some of the audio system modifications that some of you may have made to your older Jags? I would be very grateful.

Thanks -

Pete

Old 08-07-2012, 12:34 PM
JSC
Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts

I have a 98 XK8, and I opted to get a casette mp3 player that uses a SD card with mp3 files. It may not be the best or most sophisticated option, but it cost me less than $15 on ebay. Do a search on "cassette mp3 player sd."

The good is that I can use a 8Gb SD card with music. The "less good" is that you need to charge the batteries in the cassette, and use the remote control to skip forward or backward. The bad is it play the files in the order it was loaded.

With this option I do not have to change anything, and I can still play my CD's as well as my casettes I have. I also have a FM transmitter, which I do not like and it uses my power outlet which I need for my GPS at times.

It is just another option for you...

Old 08-07-2012, 01:01 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,106 Likes on 763 Posts

The FAQ has an "Audio Upgrades" section with several different approaches that people have tried.
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...ts-data-29800/

Personally, I went for AV update, using the Nav screen for video output from an iPhone.

I think audio upgrades make a good introduction to working on these cars. Generally don't require special tools and can more or less be done inside a weekend, even with beverage breaks.

Have fun!

Old 08-08-2012, 08:24 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,981 Likes on 2,123 Posts

This is an interesting product that may fit your needs for a relatively low cost. It can stream Bluetooth music from a smartphone...so no wires at all once installed. It is an installed wired FM modulator so the quality, though not the best possible may be adequate for your needs, and does not experience the interference problems of wireless modulators.

I do not have firsthand experience with it, but it looks like it may have potential.

iSimple ISFM21 (IS-FM21) Bluetooth Enabled FM Transmitter Car Kit

The following 2 users liked this post by WhiteXKR:
JimC64 (08-08-2012), SPIJohn (08-15-2012)
Old 08-08-2012, 10:56 PM
Received 75 Likes on 65 Posts

I installed my portable Sirius XM radio for my recent trip. It was way easier than I expected (actually, my granddaughter did it). I can easily remove the antenna wire from the right front door seal in minutes and transfer it to another vehicle. I hate paying for the service but there are so many choices to listen to (and no discs, tapes, or anything else to keep track of) I may just make it permanent.

Last edited by oldjaglover; 08-08-2012 at 10:59 PM.
Old 08-15-2012, 08:59 PM
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Smile 1997 Audio

Hi, I have a 1997 XK8 with premium audio (the HK speaker system) and have played around somewhat with getting an Aux fitted.

There are two systems from the head unit in the early XK8's, mine is the earlier M-Bus system. It seems the only way to get a good audio aux input is to sacrifice the CD Changer - old technology anyway these days.

There is the butcher method of connection by butchering the wiring and connecting straight in. I used a Soundgate Jag Aux Interface (AUXMSTRV3) for M-Bus which directly connects to either the head-unit in place of the CD changer connection, or at the other end at the CD changer itself, which is where I connected it, simply due to easier access and more space.

That system gives me 2 x stereo RCA inputs (4 connectors).

For the interface, I use a Parrot MKi9100 which provides both bluetooth and iPhone connection (as well as line-in and USB) and it has a line out feature so that you connect directly to the Soundgate connectors and Hey Presto - you have a functioning iPhone audio in the Jag.

And it you want to revert back to the CD changer, easily done by reconnecting a couple of cables.
Hope this helps
Baz

Last edited by JimC64; 08-15-2012 at 09:09 PM. Reason: block text -line breaks
The following 3 users liked this post by bazparkinson:
JimC64 (08-15-2012), SPIJohn (08-15-2012), WhiteXKR (08-15-2012)
Old 08-15-2012, 09:10 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,005 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Name:  car01.jpg
Views: 94
Size:  19.3 KB

Nice one Baz........I've given you your first official THANKS on the forum......I'd be willing to bet there's more to follow

Old 08-15-2012, 09:27 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,981 Likes on 2,123 Posts

Originally Posted by bazparkinson
Hi, I have a 1997 XK8 with premium audio (the HK speaker system) and have played around somewhat with getting an Aux fitted.

There are two systems from the head unit in the early XK8's, mine is the earlier M-Bus system. It seems the only way to get a good audio aux input is to sacrifice the CD Changer - old technology anyway these days.

There is the butcher method of connection by butchering the wiring and connecting straight in. I used a Soundgate Jag Aux Interface (AUXMSTRV3) for M-Bus which directly connects to either the head-unit in place of the CD changer connection, or at the other end at the CD changer itself, which is where I connected it, simply due to easier access and more space.

That system gives me 2 x stereo RCA inputs (4 connectors).

For the interface, I use a Parrot MKi9100 which provides both bluetooth and iPhone connection (as well as line-in and USB) and it has a line out feature so that you connect directly to the Soundgate connectors and Hey Presto - you have a functioning iPhone audio in the Jag.

And it you want to revert back to the CD changer, easily done by reconnecting a couple of cables.
Hope this helps
Baz

I am with Jim in offering a big thanks for this information. In particular, most wired in AUX interface information posted to date for the XK8 was for the 2000 and later AI-NET interface...there has been very little on adding AUX to the '96-'96 M-bus interface.