XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Which Backup Camera?

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2014, 06:59 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Which Backup Camera?

Now that I am adding extra inputs to my existing nav screen, I'd like one of them to be a Backup camera.

I have found several puporting to be usable with our XKs

Namely:

Sony CCD Ford Ecosport Jaguar XJ XK Car Auto Rear View Reverse Backup Camera GPS | eBay

Mini Color CCD Reverse Backup Car DVD Rear View Camera Night Vision for Jaguar | eBay

Car Mini Color CCD Reverse Backup DVD Rear View Camera Night Vision for Jaguar | eBay

I know they are similar. Ideally I'd like one that replaces a rear license plate light while retaining a smaller light.

Has anyone done this? With any of these cameras? One I hadn't seen?

Thanks!

Rich

Old 12-03-2014, 08:31 PM
Veteran Member
Received 600 Likes on 446 Posts

I ordered this one last week, plan to mount it under the trunk release button. When it arrives I'll post a review.

New HD Waterproof Car Rear View Reverse Backup Parking Video Camera Night Vision | eBay

Old 12-03-2014, 09:33 PM
Received 48 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Leaper_Man
Now that I am adding extra inputs to my existing nav screen, I'd like one of them to be a Backup camera.

I have found several puporting to be usable with our XKs

Namely:

Sony CCD Ford Ecosport Jaguar XJ XK Car Auto Rear View Reverse Backup Camera GPS | eBay

Mini Color CCD Reverse Backup Car DVD Rear View Camera Night Vision for Jaguar | eBay

Car Mini Color CCD Reverse Backup DVD Rear View Camera Night Vision for Jaguar | eBay

I know they are similar. Ideally I'd like one that replaces a rear license plate light while retaining a smaller light.

Has anyone done this? With any of these cameras? One I hadn't seen?

Thanks!

Rich
I have one of these on my truck. Had it two years, no problems and doesn't require any modifications to the car.

www.amazon.com/Boyo-VTL375-Ultra-License-Camera/dp/B002X8VF4C www.amazon.com/Boyo-VTL375-Ultra-License-Camera/dp/B002X8VF4C

I've not bothered fitting one to the XKR because I'm good with the backup sensors - they seem to pick up everything, but if I was I'd definitely get a Boyo product.

-Steve

Old 12-04-2014, 05:14 AM
Received 191 Likes on 134 Posts

Amazon.com : PYLE PLCM22IR Flush Mount Rear View Camera with 0.5 Lux Night Vision : Vehicle Backup Cameras : Car Electronics Amazon.com : PYLE PLCM22IR Flush Mount Rear View Camera with 0.5 Lux Night Vision : Vehicle Backup Cameras : Car Electronics

This is the one I used. I relocated the trunk release button to next to one of the license plate lights, then mounted this in the trunk release button hole. Came out great IMO, and is aimed well being wide angle.

Old 12-04-2014, 09:39 AM
Veteran Member
Received 600 Likes on 446 Posts

Originally Posted by SteveJacks
Amazon.com : PYLE PLCM22IR Flush Mount Rear View Camera with 0.5 Lux Night Vision : Vehicle Backup Cameras : Car Electronics

This is the one I used. I relocated the trunk release button to next to one of the license plate lights, then mounted this in the trunk release button hole. Came out great IMO, and is aimed well being wide angle.
SteveJacks, I saw that one. How did you mount it? I know you put it where the trunk release button is but how is it secured? Also with the 1 1/2" deep, were there any issues with clearance behind the trim?

Old 12-04-2014, 05:38 PM
Received 151 Likes on 106 Posts
Old 12-04-2014, 06:45 PM

Originally Posted by Jandreu
SteveJacks, I saw that one. How did you mount it? I know you put it where the trunk release button is but how is it secured? Also with the 1 1/2" deep, were there any issues with clearance behind the trim?
There were absolutely no clearance issues. It all fits quite easily in the trunk lid in a recessed area behind all of the trim. You need to remove some of the plastic rivets holding the carpet trim from the interior on the lid. In fact, you need to pull quite a few in order to run the wires all the way toward the front where the trunk lid hinge is, and route the wires along the existing wires (for the trunk release switch), down into the trunk area. Anyhow, if you look closely at the camera pic on amazon, you can see the lens end (not actually the camera lens, just a protective piece of glass). This piece unscrews from the main body of the camera. The camera is inserted into the button hole from the back, then place the unscrewed cover over the front of the hole, screw them together by turning the camera body from the back (I believe this is how I did it) and it all holds together. I did have to make the hole slightly larger using the supplied hole drill bit. The factory hole is just a teeny little too small, the supplied bit worked fine. I then taped around the hole, sprayed rustoleum primer then regular paint, just to protect from corrosion. Just to be clear, none of the painting I did is visible. From the outside, the bit fits down into the existing hole quite some ways before it touches the trunk lid metal, so nothing is visible.

I had initially wired the camera power directly to the backup light. This powered the camera plus provided the signal to the LCD panel to switch to the camera input, however occasionally when pressing the brake while driving, there seemed to be a very slight interference or signal on the backup light circuit, and the backup camera would blip on for just a split second. To resolve this I installed a standard relay to power the camera and switch the LCD input whenever the backup light comes on.

Relocating the actual trunk release button was simple. I drilled a new hole in the plinth next to one of the license plate lights. I used the same hole saw bit for this, and used a couple of short screws (drill pilot holes to avoid cracking the plastic).

I attached a pic from and angle to show both, sorry, poor quality pic.
Steve

Attached Thumbnails Which Backup Camera?-image.jpg  

Last edited by SteveJacks; 12-05-2014 at 06:42 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Jandreu (12-04-2014)
Old 12-06-2014, 04:53 AM

Originally Posted by SteveJacks
There were absolutely no clearance issues. It all fits quite easily in the trunk lid in a recessed area behind all of the trim. You need to remove some of the plastic rivets holding the carpet trim from the interior on the lid. In fact, you need to pull quite a few in order to run the wires all the way toward the front where the trunk lid hinge is, and route the wires along the existing wires (for the trunk release switch), down into the trunk area. Anyhow, if you look closely at the camera pic on amazon, you can see the lens end (not actually the camera lens, just a protective piece of glass). This piece unscrews from the main body of the camera. The camera is inserted into the button hole from the back, then place the unscrewed cover over the front of the hole, screw them together by turning the camera body from the back (I believe this is how I did it) and it all holds together. I did have to make the hole slightly larger using the supplied hole drill bit. The factory hole is just a teeny little too small, the supplied bit worked fine. I then taped around the hole, sprayed rustoleum primer then regular paint, just to protect from corrosion. Just to be clear, none of the painting I did is visible. From the outside, the bit fits down into the existing hole quite some ways before it touches the trunk lid metal, so nothing is visible.

I had initially wired the camera power directly to the backup light. This powered the camera plus provided the signal to the LCD panel to switch to the camera input, however occasionally when pressing the brake while driving, there seemed to be a very slight interference or signal on the backup light circuit, and the backup camera would blip on for just a split second. To resolve this I installed a standard relay to power the camera and switch the LCD input whenever the backup light comes on.

Relocating the actual trunk release button was simple. I drilled a new hole in the plinth next to one of the license plate lights. I used the same hole saw bit for this, and used a couple of short screws (drill pilot holes to avoid cracking the plastic).

I attached a pic from and angle to show both, sorry, poor quality pic.
Steve
I looked at my installation again and realized I made a mistake in my above instructions. After removing the plinth, which I did have to slightly enlarge the hole, I fit the camera there, but I did have to use the hole saw to drill a hole into the trunk lid, behind the plinth, for the camera to fit. It all is hidden behind the plinth though, and also that is where I primed and painted to prevent rust.
Sorry for any confusion.

The following users liked this post:
Jandreu (12-06-2014)