XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006

Bad day lost my only key

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2017, 10:46 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bad day lost my only key

Need to know best way to get new key for my 1999 XK8. Went to a function and while there lost my one and only key. What a drag had to have my car towed home. Looking to find how to have new key made. Hopefully by Monday my key will be turned in but if not...................

Thanks for all your help.

Ship

Old 04-29-2017, 11:11 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,442 Likes on 898 Posts

Jaguar Dealer . . . be prepared to prove ownership . . I assume you now have no fobs either, so get 2 sets of key+fob programmed . . . and be prepared to pay!

Best wishes,

Ken

Old 04-29-2017, 02:58 PM
GGG
Received 16,868 Likes on 12,186 Posts

The last time I needed a spare key for my 2005 XK8, times had certainly moved on from the days of getting a blank and having it cut. Jaguar supplied it ready cut the following day to my dealer who then programmed it to the vehicle. All the dealer required was the VIN to order the correct key.

I expect this level of service is only available in the UK.

However, as Ken mentioned, it isn't cheap.

Graham

Old 04-29-2017, 04:03 PM
dsd
Veteran Member
Received 326 Likes on 231 Posts

I hope I am wrong, but I believe manufacturers only retain VIN to key information for a limited time (like 5 years). After that period, I believe you need to replace locks and potentially alarm ecu's depending on system.

Again, this is probably very dependent on manufacturer. Nissan only kept the key blank information for 5 years (only time I've had something similar happen). Ferrari requires a new alarm ECU if you lose their fobs and master passcode (a card from the owners handbook).

No idea on Jaguar, so lets cross our collective fingers.

-dsd

Old 04-29-2017, 04:05 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,819 Likes on 2,246 Posts

The dealer may require the car. But don't get fobs from the dealer, buy them on ebay and program yourself with instructions you will find on the forum.

Old 04-29-2017, 05:38 PM
Received 8,271 Likes on 4,987 Posts

I have ordered keys from my local dealer several times and just provided the VIN.
I verify the TIBBE key by giving the key code as well.

You might want to record the TIBBE key code for future reference when you get the new key(s). PLEASE ORDER MORE THAN ONE!!!!!

I copied one of my old paper TSBs 20 years ago and converted it to a .pdf.
It is for the XJ40 but the key info is the same for the 8 cuts with 3 levels of cut keys.
The later keys are different (S-Type, X-Type etc.)

bob

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
76-64 TIBBE Locks.pdf (2.71 MB, 87 views)
Old 04-29-2017, 05:39 PM
Veteran Member

I agree with RJ that you can source fobs elsewhere at significant savings . . . also that self programming as per forum method has been reported as successful . . . but the new keys must be matched to VIN and that requires Jaguar dealer. Recent feedback here across our Jaguar Forums suggests that this is still an ongoing dealer service, although markets like some remote USA, AUS or other locations may not offer the same speedy turn-around reported by Graham.

Best wishes,

Ken

Old 04-29-2017, 09:49 PM
Veteran Member
Received 375 Likes on 309 Posts

My original owner wrote the Key code in the owners manual.

I would think, in theory, a guy could take apart a door or trunk lock cylinder and figure out the code pretty easily (because in reality their aint that many of them),

Then you just need a guy like motorcarman to make the new key work... unless you have a '97, like me, then you just buy a key off Ebay UK and are good to go.

Old 04-29-2017, 09:54 PM
Veteran Member
Received 918 Likes on 654 Posts
Question

SHIP, I'm assuming the 99 XK8 works he same way as my 2005 XKR....I just went through this process Friday.....My Son took me to the Dealer with my VIN...The Parts Guy went into is Jaguar Computer entered the VIN and it gave him the 10 digit Key Code. Then he cut the Key with the Jaguar Key Cutter......Then and only then did he ask if I had the car with me.....Of course not as I had lost my Key......That's when he told me that he could not Program the Key to start the Car without the car......so I had to call a mobile key Guy that had a Jaguar programmer......Found out that they are few and far between but finally found one...2 Hours later and after $150.00 for the key and $250.00 for the programming of the Key to the Car so that it would "start".....I thought, man I only have one key now and to avoid this I should have at least (1) extra Key and also a Valet Key....The Key Guy said "Do you have the Key Code that the Dealer used to cut the key I just programed?" Of course I didn't, so I called the Dealer and finally he let me have the Code.....Now this is where everything goes off track......The Mobil Key Guy tells me that he can cut another Key and a Valet also for $100.00 each but then he would have to program both those (2) Keys and also, reprogram the original Key, that he had just programed, again, so that all (3) Keys would have the same program or the first Key would not start the Car....Another $165.00 to program all (3) Keys.....All this while we are all standing in the Driveway of a Gas Station in 92 degree Heat......I hesitated for a minute and he told me he usually charged $100.00 a Key while Programing and he felt sorry for me and was giving me a deal. What a deal!
Well here I am on Saturday night writing you about Keys....can't afford to go out this weekend!

Now, I have to go to eBay and buy (2) Key Fobs, so that I will be able to get into the Car! This of course after I reprogram both of the Key Fobs!!! Another $70.00!!!!

Billy Clyde in Houston

Old 04-30-2017, 03:21 AM
Veteran Member

Billy, I really do sympathize with you for all this messing about, and the costs you have incurred. That's my reason for suggesting that the OP get at least 2 sets of keys+fobs cut and programmed from the get-go. In our market here, sale of a Jaguar with full sets of keys, all manuals and service books, properly stamped with detailed receipts of all work, replacements etc . . . all bring a premium.

But then, I happily admit I am not brave enough (as seen several times here) to buy a "bargain Jaguar" at an auction with absolutely nothing of the above . . . no keys whatsoever to start the car; nor to read codes . . . only the expense of a tow-truck to get it home (I see a USA thread quoted US$100 per mile); then find all that pain and huge expense just to get full sets of keys! I would rather put all that cash into a better quality car!

Cheers,

Ken

Old 04-30-2017, 04:51 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,405 Likes on 1,559 Posts

Originally Posted by bcprice36
This of course after I reprogram both of the Key Fobs!!! Another $70.00!!!!

Billy Clyde in Houston
Billy, the keys have to be programmed using Jaguar software, but the fobs you can do yourself:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...98/#post290509

Old 04-30-2017, 05:00 PM
Veteran Member
Exclamation

Originally Posted by michaelh
Billy, the keys have to be programmed using Jaguar software, but the fobs you can do yourself:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...98/#post290509
Ken & Michaelh,

The point of all my rambling was to remind Ship that it is best to buy all the Keys and Valet Key at the same time, so that they can all be cut and programed at the same time and when he gets the Key Fobs they all have to be programed at the same time also! Thank the good Lord that Jaguar doesn't require you have a separate machine to program the Key Fobs! Ship, we had a recent thread about how to program the Key Fobs......

Billy Clyde in Houston

Old 04-30-2017, 05:07 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,405 Likes on 1,559 Posts

OK - I misread your post. The $70 was for the fobs not their programming.

M

Old 04-30-2017, 05:42 PM
Veteran Member
Smile

Originally Posted by michaelh
OK - I misread your post. The $70 was for the fobs not their programming.

M
michaelh,

It seems that every time you want to change something on a Jag you have to do something else to get it to work properly......Now that I have had this experience, I decided since I was having all these keys made I would order one of those good looking flip Keys from Taiwan. They are really nice looking, so now I will have (1) Flip-Key, (2) Regular Jag Keys and (1) Valet Key.....All I have to do now is get the Flip key cut, Program all 4 to the Car and reprogram all (3) Key Fobs....Oh! I have to order 2 Jaguar Key Fobs.......Then I can forget about all the time and money I spent because of losing (1) Key......

Billy Clyde in Houston

Old 04-30-2017, 08:32 PM
Veteran Member

Hey Billy . . . is that gritted teeth I sense behind your smiling face?
She's a Jaguar mate; quirky; demanding; and drop-dead delicious!
LOL

Cheers,

Ken

Old 04-30-2017, 09:17 PM
Veteran Member
Smile

Originally Posted by cat_as_trophy
Hey Billy . . . is that gritted teeth I sense behind your smiling face?
She's a Jaguar mate; quirky; demanding; and drop-dead delicious!
LOL

Cheers,

Ken
Ken, my Friend...

This 2005 XKR is my 4th Coupe since 1998.....First one was Topaz and then the Black 2000 XKR both of which were taken from me by Women that wanted to pay more than Market value......If a woman wants a car, Money is no object and they both really wanted those Cars. And then, the 2003 Black XKR was hit starting at the Left front all the way down the side....She just couldn't keep her eyes off it! That's when her Insurance Company bought me this Ebony Black & Ivory 2006 XKR Coupe, with (1) Key...So, yes
Ken! I know demanding and yes Ken! She is one of the best looking Jaguar Cars ever made.......That's why I'm still driving her at 86,000 miles and will continue as long as I'm around......That is unless another Lady decides she wants it more than I......I hope that doesn't happen!

Billy Clyde in Houston

Old 05-01-2017, 12:00 AM
Veteran Member

Billy, I hear the love mate. Must not sidetrack thread but, IMHO, laughable that here in Oz, you can choose any 3 facelift XKRs . . . or any 5 facelift XK8s . . . not to mention 8 facelift S-Types with identical V8 6spd specs and all of exceptional quality and provenance . . . any of these 3 groups for the price of just 1 restored E-Type Series1 . . . and I must not comment further on what an unfriendly car the latter is today, compared to its glorious past of 50 years ago. Like your XKRs, our E succumbed to market pressure but gosh, how I love what has followed.

Best wishes mate,

Ken

Old 05-01-2017, 06:37 AM
Received 243 Likes on 146 Posts

After you get your primary key, if you fancy the DIY approach, or like the flip key style, you may find this thread, with the attached PDF in the first post, helpful. Originally posted in the x350 forum, you'll find much of it is relevant to the XK. As Bob said, your 8 cut key is a bit simpler than the newer style

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...now-faq-87749/