XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

battery change

Old 01-25-2014, 02:17 PM
Received 86 Likes on 55 Posts
Default battery change

about to change my battery very soon,the one I have is fine but been on 5years now and just need to be sure i wont be let me down when I need it the moste,been looking at the bosh and varta 830cca and 850cca,enyone got these fitted,thanks guys

Old 01-25-2014, 02:38 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

actually, any brand battery with 850cca or more will work just fine, of course, the correct series is a must for fit. 1999 uses the series 49.

Old 01-25-2014, 03:34 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,110 Likes on 932 Posts

Originally Posted by wheeble
actually, any brand battery with 850cca or more will work just fine . . .
. . . as long as it has the external vent connections. You do not want to install a non-vented battery in your trunk/boot.

Old 01-26-2014, 08:28 AM
Received 76 Likes on 58 Posts
Question

Originally Posted by test point
. . . as long as it has the external vent connections. You do not want to install a non-vented battery in your trunk/boot.

If the battery is the new type which are typically filled with a compound and non re fillable is this still true?
I can understand the reasoning for the old type which were lead acid style and filled with sulphuric acid and distilled water. When charging they gave off a gas which could lead to an explosion in the wrong circumstances.
Only wanting to get clarification on this issue as when I bought my XK8 in August last year I was told it had a new battery, but when I checked it did not have an outlet for a vent, BUT it is a sealed unit.
So question is has technology advanced to the point where car batteries no longer give off this gas or am I going to have to get a new battery?

Cheers,
ArtyH

Old 01-26-2014, 08:50 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,110 Likes on 932 Posts

Just bought an AGM battery for the wife's Miata that mounts in the trunk. Every one that I evaluated had the external vent connections.

When I was shopping for the current XK8 more than half of the cars I looked at had the incorrect non vented batteries.

Last edited by test point; 01-26-2014 at 08:52 AM.
Old 01-26-2014, 10:24 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,483 Likes on 3,901 Posts

Can't speak for the XK but if like the S-Type, as I think it is, then the charging system is set up for lead-acid (and will be vented) in that it uses a different voltage etc than you'd use for a different technology battery. They need (for example) higher volts.

Old 01-27-2014, 05:44 AM
Question

Originally Posted by JagV8
Can't speak for the XK but if like the S-Type, as I think it is, then the charging system is set up for lead-acid (and will be vented) in that it uses a different voltage etc than you'd use for a different technology battery. They need (for example) higher volts.

I am a bit confused with your reasoning, I am not trying to be argumentative. Its a 12 volt battery, it produces 12 volts and as far as I know the drain on power is in amps, and the capacity of the unit is in hours and cranking capacity. As far as I am aware the voltage in normal conditions remains more or less constant but the current drain drops. I cannot see how being lead acid would effect the efficiency of the battery, what I could see is that a non acid battery would not produce the fumes.
Please put me right on this one as it seems a bit confusing.

Where can I buy a tin hat?

Cheers,

ArtyH

Old 01-27-2014, 12:24 PM
Thumbs up Update

Evening gents, had to go into town today for some other business but called into the local Jaguar sales room ( Stratstone Newcastle ). Spoke to a parts guy who contacted a tech in the garage and relayed this message to me.
1) Jaguar would only fit a lead acid battery to our YM XK8 as that is what is spec'ed for it.
2) The tech stated the AGM batteries should have a vent but they are different to a lead acid unit. The lead acid batteries are charged by the alternator CONSTANTLY.
3) The AGM battery charging is a different animal, apparently it is on a demand basis ( my explanation ), so it does not receive a charge constantly, only when it need it.
The guys showed me a new XF and it had the AGM battery which had a vent pipe. SO things have moved on a bit since 1999. What I did see was a very small in comparison round molding on the top edge of the battery ( Varta ) which was the vent pipe. Now when I checked my battery I can see it to has a hole in roughly the same place, but what threw me was the difference in fitment size, the new hole is so much smaller.

SO what I intend to do is run the car as it is for the short term and monitor what happens, I will however make an adaptor to vent the battery to atmosphere. If there are any problems I will have a good idea it could be the battery.
Just in closing, I was quoted £170+Vat by the dealer for the " correct " unit, but they said they would possibly knock the vat off if I was to go ahead with the purchase.
Hope this was of interest to some as it appears I have answered my own question now. Thanks for all the input to all who commented.
Cheers,
ArtyH