XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Battery venting

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2015, 12:06 PM
Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts
Default Battery venting

When I had my battery replaced this morning I noticed it was not vented. I thought batterys inside a trunk like this were vented to the outside.

Is that right? The new battery is not vented either. The installer could not see a vent tube to connect it to.

Thanks.

Jack

Old 11-13-2015, 12:46 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,783 Likes on 2,227 Posts

The vent hose goes through the floor to the right of the battery. The parts store should be able to supply a vent kit, or just buy some rubber vacuum or windscreen washer hose to fit. Apiece of rigid polyethylene tubing will fit in the battery vent.

If there isn't a vent plug in the battery, it's the wrong type.

Old 11-13-2015, 03:32 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,317 Likes on 1,004 Posts

+1 on the wrong type. Look at the battery if it doesn't have a nipple on either the side, by the center or the end then it the wrong battery. If it has a nipple and can be opened and a vent kit fitted. Also, if it isn't over 650 Cold Crank Amps it is from the wrong battery group.

Old 11-13-2015, 03:45 PM

Originally Posted by avern1
+1 on the wrong type. Look at the battery if it doesn't have a nipple on either the side, by the center or the end then it the wrong battery. If it has a nipple and can be opened and a vent kit fitted. Also, if it isn't over 650 Cold Crank Amps it is from the wrong battery group.
I does have a nipple, I think on both sides. But there is no tube to connect it to. And the old battery (Jag labeled) was not connected to anything.

Jack

Old 11-13-2015, 05:29 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,317 Likes on 1,004 Posts

Find out from your battery supplier if the nipples can be opened and have them provide a vent kit. It is an elbow and small rubber hose.
If you look at the bottom of the boot on the outboard bottom side you should see a 1/4 inch diameter hole (possibly with a rubber grommet). If you push a wire thru it you will find it exits beside and slightly back of the inside of the wheel.
You do not want the battery fumes during charging putting acid particles in the boot. Especially since the Security and Locking Module is mounted under the fuse box right behind the battery.
I will take a picture of mine in the morning and post.

The following users liked this post:
BlkCat (11-13-2015)
Old 11-14-2015, 01:14 PM
GGG
Received 16,798 Likes on 12,167 Posts

Jack,

This is the vent connection on my 2005 XK8 4.2-S Final Series which is the same as your Victory Edition:

The battery is an OE replacement from Jaguar manufactured by Varta. It has a vent on either side, both of which were plugged and the vent elbow was in a separate polybag. The LH plug is removed and the elbow fitted when the battery is installed.

The black vent pipe exits through a grommeted hole in the luggage compartment floor.

Graham

Attached Thumbnails Battery venting-06-original-battery-vent.jpg  
BlkCat (11-15-2015)
Old 11-15-2015, 06:16 AM

Originally Posted by GGG
Jack,

This is the vent connection on my 2005 XK8 4.2-S Final Series which is the same as your Victory Edition:

The battery is an OE replacement from Jaguar manufactured by Varta. It has a vent on either side, both of which were plugged and the vent elbow was in a separate polybag. The LH plug is removed and the elbow fitted when the battery is installed.

The black vent pipe exits through a grommeted hole in the luggage compartment floor.

Graham
Thank you. The replacement battery has the vents on either side. It also had the poly bag with vent elbows which were both fitted by the installer. However, the black tube in your picture the plug is attached to was nowhere to be seen. There wasn't one connected to the old Jag labeled battery either.

Strange. Any ideas re: how I can get this corrected?

Thank you.

Jack

Old 11-15-2015, 06:48 AM
GGG
Received 16,798 Likes on 12,167 Posts

Although the battery has plugged vents at either side, you should only remove the LH one and fit a single elbow.

The vent tube (item 4) is acid resistant:

Battery venting-vent-tube.jpg
(click on the image to enlarge it)

Jaguar P/N is DAC77753 but a similar grade has to be readily available from other sources. Washer tube is not a suitable substitute.

Graham

BlkCat (11-15-2015)
Old 11-15-2015, 07:39 AM

Originally Posted by GGG
Although the battery has plugged vents at either side, you should only remove the LH one and fit a single elbow.

The vent tube (item 4) is acid resistant:

Attachment 121619
(click on the image to enlarge it)

Jaguar P/N is DAC77753 but a similar grade has to be readily available from other sources. Washer tube is not a suitable substitute.

Graham
I saw the installer pull the plugs from both sides and install the elbows. Neither connected to a drain tube. Is this dangerous?

Thank you,

Jack

Old 11-15-2015, 08:26 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,275 Likes on 2,812 Posts

Yes indeed. You need to connect the elbow fitting to the black vent hose that runs to the underside exterior of the car. You also need to ensure that the other side of the battery has the appropriate plug in place....

BlkCat (11-15-2015)
Old 11-15-2015, 08:50 AM
Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts

My cat has a replacement Duralast battery. The vent is on the long side and has an oblong fitting to a black rubber tube. It was attached to the old black tube and left in the trunk. I took a short piece of silicone tubing and extended it. As a result I have an extra original black rubber vent hose. Anybody want it? PM me.

BlkCat (11-15-2015)
Old 11-16-2015, 09:35 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,166 Likes on 1,610 Posts

Originally Posted by BlkCat
I saw the installer pull the plugs from both sides and install the elbows. Neither connected to a drain tube. Is this dangerous?

Thank you,

Jack
Yes.

Without the hose part, it is now venting directly into the trunk.

In addition to the explosion risk, venting acid fumes into the trunk
leads to accelerated rust.

BlkCat (11-17-2015)
Old 11-25-2015, 08:42 PM
Received 47 Likes on 36 Posts

Anyone want to take an actual photograph of the set-up? I have no vent on my battery but will remove it and inspect it for a vent plug. I do have a hole with a rubber grommet in the slightly raised portion of the spare tire well on the right side of the battery.

Who knows what codes may pop up when I reconnect the battery. I hate to mess with a properly functioning XK8.

Old 11-26-2015, 10:04 PM
Received 227 Likes on 169 Posts

This is for a battery with two vents

Vent tubes and bought a six mm T

Setup

Installed

The following 2 users liked this post by woox4:
Cyclopsblown34 (08-01-2020), johns427 (11-29-2015)
Old 11-26-2015, 10:21 PM
Received 227 Likes on 169 Posts

This was the reply from the battery manufacturer when I queried them on the need to vent. The battery is a calcium one and I just dropped into my closest battery shop, they gave me the two vent tubes for free.

The DIN85ZLMF is a sealed maintenance free battery. They will not vent except in an extreme case of over charging due to alternator fault or battery charger malfunction. The 2 vent holes are actually blow off valves that remain sealed unless there is pressure build up due to those charging faults in which case they will pop and allow pressure release. You can get a breather hose to attach to these batteries for peace of mind if you would like. If you are able to pop into one of our branches they should have plenty that they can give you free of charge.

Old 11-27-2015, 07:24 AM
Veteran Member
Received 443 Likes on 314 Posts

Woox4,

The maker is describing what's called an AGM (absorbed glass mat) battery. The description is accurate; these batteries usually go their entire lives without venting at all.

These batteries are used unvented in all sorts or applications (even military) where traditional flooded cell batteries used to require venting.

Some say you should install a vent anyway. Couldn't hurt. I have no problem with an excess of caution, but would not lose sleep over running one of these in my car unvented.

Last edited by Dennis07; 11-27-2015 at 07:26 AM.
Old 12-02-2015, 07:01 AM
Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts
Default AGM Batteries

Originally Posted by Dennis07
Woox4,

The maker is describing what's called an AGM (absorbed glass mat) battery. The description is accurate; these batteries usually go their entire lives without venting at all.

These batteries are used unvented in all sorts or applications (even military) where traditional flooded cell batteries used to require venting.

Some say you should install a vent anyway. Couldn't hurt. I have no problem with an excess of caution, but would not lose sleep over running one of these in my car unvented.
This is good to hear. I'd had problems with the OEM type batteries over the years - mostly freezing during long periods of non-use during the coldest parts of winter when the car wouldn't leave my garage. The batteries would leak fluid during those times with the fluid either draining to my garage floor or damaging the trunk (boot) area. I bought an AGM battery the last time I replaced the battery several years ago and have had no issues since them.

I was a little concerned about not venting the AGM battery at the time, but from everything I've found these batteries do not vent and are completely sealed. I almost didn't buy one due to my concern about it not being vented, but decided to go with it and I'm very glad I did.

BlkCat (12-02-2015)
Old 12-20-2015, 05:28 PM
Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

Word to wise. Get an extra long hose so it's not above the security module and carbon fuel cannister if you have and older XK8. My battery leaked thru the hose and destroyed both!

Old 11-23-2016, 12:10 PM
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Default I put in an h8 battery - seems alright so far

Originally Posted by avern1
Several online battery selection tools were telling me to get a Group Size H8 battery. Turns out these are very expensive batteries.
NAPA wanted $164.99 for their part #BAT 8449.
AutoZone wanted $149.99 for their H8-DLG.
Wal-Mart wanted $123.13 for their EverStart Maxx H8.

In the end AutoZone offered to price match the Wal-Mart battery so i got their H8-DLG for $123.13, which seemed alright.

Specs: 900 CCA
Reserve Minutes: 150
Warranty: 3 years, full replacement. 4th & 5th year, prorated replacement

INSTALLATION NOTES:
I first noticed when I got it home that there was no vent tube on the side, the way my AAA battery was set up. Instead, it had a vent hole on each end of the battery. Hard to attach a hose to that.

So I went back and bought a 65-piece variety pack of vacuum hose connectors at Autozone for $7.99. Believe it or not, not a single one fit. Every single one was either too loose to stay in the hole, or too tight to get into the hole.

I considered reaming the hole larger, but decided against altering the battery for warranty reasons. Finally I chucked the closest-sized connector up in my cordless drill (like a lathe) and sanded one end to a more tapered shape. Thus altered, it fit into the battery.

I also put a little rubber gasket adhesive on it to be sure it wouldn't pop out.

Attached Thumbnails Battery venting-battery-connector.jpg  
Old 11-23-2016, 01:23 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,275 Likes on 2,812 Posts

In our neck of the woods, the battery sellers (Pep Boys, Autozone, Advance Auto Parts, NAPA, etc.) always provide the appropriate vent tube as part of your battery purchase. You may have to ask for it, but you shouldn't have to pay extra for it....

LABronzeJames (11-28-2016)

Quick Reply: Battery venting