XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best option for satellite radio?

Old 06-03-2011, 01:53 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best option for satellite radio?

Recently I purchased a 2004 XKR Coupe with premium sound upgrade and I want to install XM Radio in it. So far I have read the posts here and visited several install shops around town and I am a little confused.

It seems that if the factory radio is replaced then the amp and speakers may have to be replaced as well. Let me say here I am unfortunately not one who is capable of doing this work myself. One shop quoted $2500 to replace all the parts and thats more than I want to spend now.

Another option is mounting a small XM Radio somewhere on the dash or console and running a cable to the antenna. Another shop (recommended by the Jag dealer) told me that the factory antenna contains fiber optics and that an adapter costing about $500 would be needed in addition to the other equipment.

Can the people on here with similar cars please tell me what they have done to get satellite radio in them? Ideally I'd like to replace the factory radio only and have the sound pumped thru the existing amp and speakers.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Old 06-03-2011, 01:59 PM
Veteran Member
Received 576 Likes on 475 Posts

Not sure if it is the same but I installed a JVC DAB (digital) radio today. We replaced all the speakers (Alpine G series, fitted an amp (Alpine), a sub (JL Audio), all the goodies.

Cost the customer £1000 ($1500) but this included a custom made surround for the head unit so it didn't look too after market. I have the pics at work, can post up tomorrow if you like.

Old 06-03-2011, 09:54 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,981 Likes on 2,123 Posts

The simplest, most cost effective approach that give you decent quality Satellite Radio is a WIRED (not a wireless) FM modulator connected to the antenna cable. It can be installed by any stereo shop without extensive knowledge of the workings of the car. There is no need to replace your factory radio unless you want to. You should be paying well under $500 for the radio, the modulator AND the installation with this approach.

Just get a satellite radio with a car kit, and a wired modulator such as: XM Satellite Radio at MyRadioStore - FM Modulators - Metra AntennaWorks Wired FM Stereo Modulator.

Direct audio (auxiliary input) wiring will give you slightly better quality, but a good modulator comes very close.

BTW some Jaguars contain fiber optic audio distribution, but the XKR does not. There is no such thing as a fiber optics antenna.

Last edited by WhiteXKR; 06-03-2011 at 10:18 PM.
Old 06-04-2011, 10:40 AM

Originally Posted by XKRacer
I have the pics at work, can post up tomorrow if you like.
Yeah post them, I like to see what others have done

Old 06-04-2011, 10:45 AM

Originally Posted by WhiteXKR
The simplest, most cost effective approach that give you decent quality Satellite Radio is a WIRED (not a wireless) FM modulator connected to the antenna cable. It can be installed by any stereo shop without extensive knowledge of the workings of the car. There is no need to replace your factory radio unless you want to. You should be paying well under $500 for the radio, the modulator AND the installation with this approach.

Just get a satellite radio with a car kit, and a wired modulator such as: XM Satellite Radio at MyRadioStore - FM Modulators - Metra AntennaWorks Wired FM Stereo Modulator.

Direct audio (auxiliary input) wiring will give you slightly better quality, but a good modulator comes very close.

BTW some Jaguars contain fiber optic audio distribution, but the XKR does not. There is no such thing as a fiber optics antenna.
Thanks I think I will go to another shop and see what they say about this.

Where is the best place to mount the radio? The options seem to be suction cups on the windshield to the left of the driver, or somewhere on the center console. If anyone has a picture of what they have please post. Thanks.

Old 06-04-2011, 10:49 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,981 Likes on 2,123 Posts

Originally Posted by bhunter417
Thanks I think I will go to another shop and see what they say about this.

Where is the best place to mount the radio? The options seem to be suction cups on the windshield to the left of the driver, or somewhere on the center console. If anyone has a picture of what they have please post. Thanks.
My favorite is the Kuda mount. It has matching leather and an empty shell to hide wires and adapters:

KUDA mount and holder JAGUAR - XK (97-06)

Old 06-04-2011, 11:47 AM
Veteran Member
Received 576 Likes on 475 Posts

Originally Posted by bhunter417
Yeah post them, I like to see what others have done

I did this for a guy just this weekend...... It is for a early XK but will be doing a similar thing for the later design within the next couple of weeks.

Looks acceptable IMO

Name:  Facia1.jpg
Views: 805
Size:  57.9 KB

If you can get on it take a look at the company facebook page, there is more pics and info on there.