XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best Route?

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2013, 02:30 AM
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Best Route?

Ok.... I have found an ideal heavy duty solar charger designed for big cars, 4x4s etc - together with a charge controller / minder. I am pretty resigned to the fact that I wont be able to use the cigar lighter socket since it is not live when the car is switched off. So this means I need to run the cable to the battery directly and then up to the dashboard where I will be able to plug in and unplig the charger to my hearts content.

My question is, does anyone have any ideas as to the best route for the cable (before I start dismantling)? I would prefer to hide as much cable as possible. My other option is that I am speaking to DesignXKR in a couple of weeks and they do a lot with electrics and are looking at my Nav, Ice upgrade and pole ariel replacement solution - maybe they could run the cable at the same time.

Any thoughts guys?

Old 01-19-2013, 03:52 AM
GGG
Received 16,825 Likes on 12,179 Posts

To get the cable from the Battery into the Cabin, 'sharing' an existing grommet is probably the best way.

Best Route?-dsc_0090.jpg

Alternatively, there's a few taped up holes in the bulkhead available. Working around the fuel tank is the issue.

With the Rear Seat and Centre Console out, the cable can then be fed under the transmission tunnel carpet and along the tunnel next to the gear selector to get behind the Radio and up to the Fascia.

Best Route?-05-console-radio-removed.jpg

It may sound like a lot of work if you haven't done this before but the Rear Seat and Console are both easy to remove.

Graham

Old 01-19-2013, 04:16 AM

Originally Posted by GGG
To get the cable from the Battery into the Cabin, 'sharing' an existing grommet is probably the best way.

Attachment 30637

Alternatively, there's a few taped up holes in the bulkhead available. Working around the fuel tank is the issue.

With the Rear Seat and Centre Console out, the cable can then be fed under the transmission tunnel carpet and along the tunnel next to the gear selector to get behind the Radio and up to the Fascia.

Attachment 30638

It may sound like a lot of work if you haven't done this before but the Rear Seat and Console are both easy to remove.

Graham

Many thanks for this comprehensive reply. Wow yeah - it does look like a lot of work - not that I'm work shy, I just dont wanna do more harm than good. I may well take the lot to DesignXKR and get them to do it when they do the rest of my work.

Old 01-19-2013, 05:15 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,110 Likes on 932 Posts

Isn't there an 'always hot' connection behind the glove box?

Old 01-19-2013, 05:18 AM
Veteran Member
Received 687 Likes on 590 Posts

Originally Posted by test point
Isn't there an 'always hot' connection behind the glove box?
I was thinking about that but I seem to remember that it's controlled by a (missing) relay in the boot.
HOWEVER if OP can see the socket or leads then he could perhaps jumper the relay.
Found this

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
jaguar XK aux powersocket.pdf (798.1 KB, 165 views)

Last edited by steveinfrance; 01-19-2013 at 05:31 AM.
Old 01-19-2013, 07:32 AM
Received 187 Likes on 129 Posts
Lightbulb

I use a solar charger on my XKR and found the easiest solution, around the power connector, was to use the always live OBD connector - down by the accelerator pedal (RHD), by the bonnet/hood release (LHD).

I bought one of these connectors and wired the solar panel to pins 4/5 ground and 16 positive.

Universal Male OBD2 16 Pin Connector OBDII EOBD OBD #k | eBay

Pin diagram:
OBD II (VAG) vehicle diagnostic interface pinout and connections @ pinoutsguide.com

If you want to power anything from this socket it is supplied via a 5A fuse!

Last edited by Stumpy; 01-19-2013 at 07:47 AM.
The following users liked this post:
steveinfrance (01-19-2013)
Old 01-19-2013, 07:42 AM
Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Hi Guys ,

This is how I did mine a couple of weeks ago,
I used a Ctek socket and leads , it also has LED indicators to show the state of the battery , simple fit and directly hard wired to the battery

Hope this helps ,

NikasilNik

Attached Thumbnails Best Route?-ctekcharger-conditioner013_zps7f4b9ac4.jpg  
Old 01-19-2013, 08:53 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,106 Likes on 763 Posts

Originally Posted by NikasilNik
This is how I did mine a couple of weeks ago,
I used a Ctek socket and leads , it also has LED indicators to show the state of the battery , simple fit and directly hard wired to the battery

Do you have to leave the boot ajar to plug in or am I missing the trick?

Old 01-19-2013, 10:43 AM

I'm pretty sure all of these solutions are good. I'm not much good with electrics and stuff so modifying connections as a thought sends me into fits of despair. I need the solar charger on the dashboard right inside my windscreen where it will get loads of light. But I need also to ensure the car is locked and shut down. If the cigar lighter was live BOOM - no such luck though. And I also HAVE to make sure I use the charge controller because the solar charger is heavy duty 15amp. Dont wanna toast the battery - which is brand new! From what I can see the controller / minder is connected to the battery and the charger plugs into the controller, soooooooooo.

I'll talk to DesignXKR and see if they can fit it into the rest of the work they are going to do for me. Interesting seeing all these solutions though.... ha so many ways to skin a cat.

Old 01-19-2013, 01:05 PM
Received 187 Likes on 129 Posts
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by RSsteveH
the solar charger is heavy duty 15amp.

You seem to have gone a bit into overkill!

A bit late, but you should have asked here or talked to Kevin at DesignXKR first!

The XKR only draws 0.03 of an amp when locked (this will be slightly higher if you have a tracker fitted). With a fully charged 95Ah AGM battery ( fitted to mine new last April) I wouldn't worry about leaving it for 30 days.

I left the XKR for 3 weeks last winter, due to snow, without any starting problems and that was with the original 2003 battery! I quite often leave the XJS for 2-3 weeks without any problems.

I only installed my solar chargers because they were cheap, I use 1.5 Watt units I bought from Maplins, £15 the pair. During last summer they were able to hold the batteries at over 12.7 volts.

Last edited by Stumpy; 01-19-2013 at 01:10 PM.
Old 01-19-2013, 03:27 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,110 Likes on 932 Posts

. . . and the Aux Power is right there under the dash with a plug-in two prong connector . . . battery and ground. Couldn't get any simpler.

And a 15A solar panel has got to bigger than the car.

Old 01-19-2013, 05:04 PM

Originally Posted by test point
. . . and the Aux Power is right there under the dash with a plug-in two prong connector . . . battery and ground. Couldn't get any simpler.

And a 15A solar panel has got to bigger than the car.
LOL nah man it fits on the dash and I'd rather go bigger than insufficient !!!

Old 01-19-2013, 05:12 PM

Originally Posted by Stumpy

You seem to have gone a bit into overkill!

A bit late, but you should have asked here or talked to Kevin at DesignXKR first!

The XKR only draws 0.03 of an amp when locked (this will be slightly higher if you have a tracker fitted). With a fully charged 95Ah AGM battery ( fitted to mine new last April) I wouldn't worry about leaving it for 30 days.

I left the XKR for 3 weeks last winter, due to snow, without any starting problems and that was with the original 2003 battery! I quite often leave the XJS for 2-3 weeks without any problems.

I only installed my solar chargers because they were cheap, I use 1.5 Watt units I bought from Maplins, £15 the pair. During last summer they were able to hold the batteries at over 12.7 volts.
WELLLL I would have agreed, EXCEPT with a battery just over 2yrs old according to last owner, I parked up for 4 and a half days last weekend (parked at 6am Friday - and yes it was COLD) but the battery DIED completely (Tuesday afternoon). There was nothing left in it - that is the dash wouldnt even light up. Sooooooo.. maybe I have a battery drain problem or maybe the battery was just end-of-life but.... eering on the side of caution I dont wanna get caught short again. Now I have a brand new battery with 5 yr warranty and if I look after it with a decent charger........

Oh and I havent actually bought the chager, charge minder yet but the one I've sourced looks good to me. And I am yet to go to DesignXKR.. that is happening beginning of Feb.

Old 01-19-2013, 05:19 PM
Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by ccfulton
Do you have to leave the boot ajar to plug in or am I missing the trick?
Not at all , the boot rubber seal is very compliant , the lid shuts as normal , no damage to the rubber or the cable

Hope this helps

NikasilNik