XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bluetooth Connection

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2019, 11:39 PM
Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Bluetooth Connection

I am sure that this has been discussed before but I just bought, from Discount Stereo, a Part Number JAGCD-HF bluetooth module that works through the CD Player to allow for music streaming and hands-free cell phone communication. It needs a working CD player and it allows you to use the CD Player, stream music from your cell phone and answer / make telephone calls hands-free.

It is not simple to install as you have to remove the CD / Nav / Amplifier rack in order to get to the cable. Once you have accomplished that it is a simple plug and play. When you consider that the pump for the roof is also on top of that stack it becomes a bit more difficult. Getting the wire from the trunk to to center console is not too difficult but it does require the removal of the back seats which is a bit of a job but not too difficult. Once you have accomplished the above, the installation is fairly straight forward.

Now for the most important part. No, it is not perfect, as it does not show the song information on the Nav Screen but the damn thing works! The music is high quality, the phone operates as it should and the CD Player still works. An incoming call will mute the CD Player or the music / Nav audio but it will not mute the FM or AM radio if they are on. Lastly, there is a small dime sized button that controls the unit and acts as a mic.

Overall, the quality is very good, in terms of workmanship and sound quality. It costs less than $200, with all options included, and performs as it should. A great addition to any XK8 that does not have Bluethooth.

Compatible Vehicles: 2000-06 XK / Optional USB. Discount Stereo has been around for a while and this is truly a fine product.

Old 11-14-2019, 11:53 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That looks a great solution. I was thinking about a new head unit but for now this will do everything I need. I will replace the SatNav with the Note4 as someone did in another thread and pair it with the BT45 as it can pair with 2 phones simultaneously. I need to know which connector and the instructions say "2000-02 x100 may have a 14-pin male connector". Any idea how I can confirm a 2002 XK8 Cabriolet has this? Or do I need to start taking apart stuff to find out?

Once I have this in place, I will just lack a reversing camera and a way of integrating it in.

Thanks,
Phillip.

Old 11-14-2019, 02:50 PM
Received 284 Likes on 183 Posts

I bought one of these. My wife liked it so much she bought one for her Jetta too. Not perfect, but works very well and you can't beat the price. Also allows hands free. Worse case if someone is on the edge about going Bluetooth, they could try it and see how they like it

Old 11-14-2019, 03:04 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,296 Likes on 1,506 Posts

^^ I bought a similar device so I could play mp3s via the radio. Has USB sockets for a memory stick and for a phone charging lead.

Great little gadget for very little money.

The following users liked this post:
Timeisrelative (11-15-2019)
Old 11-14-2019, 08:28 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,417 Likes on 755 Posts
Default Blue tooth plug into the cigar lighter socket

+1 to the above.

I too went for the Cigar Lighter Bluetooth plug in. Cheap, non intrusive, and detachable. Only problem is that I have to put up the aerial to catch a decent radio signal from it. Plus it’s noticeable that Music quality deteriorated compared to the .cda audio files from the CD unit. I did upgrade all my speakers recently to Kickers.

As I’ve just upgraded the exhaust, I’ve “parked” the music, for now, and am going with a V8 soundtrack. Yeah Baby!

The following 2 users liked this post by DavidYau:
ozbot (11-17-2019), Timeisrelative (11-15-2019)
Old 11-15-2019, 01:19 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,592 Likes on 952 Posts

this is the product I went for:

https://www.discountcarstereo.com/a2...ategory_id=448

works perfectly, great sound quality, same as CD's, and super easy to install. The instructions are detailed and cover several "what if's".

also discussed here, posts #8 thru #13: https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...daptor-222492/

Z

The following 2 users liked this post by zray:
Hdpartsman00XKR (11-19-2019), Timeisrelative (11-15-2019)
Old 11-17-2019, 10:00 AM
Received 72 Likes on 44 Posts

I also installed the JAGCD-HF and it works just great. I did not like to put their mic/switch combo on the dashboard, so I also bought the remote mic and installed on the overhead console. The audio quality on both music and phone calls is great.

While I had the rear seat out, I also installed the RGB-LE video system for front and rear cameras on the NAV display. That also works very well. I opted to install the RGB-LE in the trunk. Lots of room for easy wiring.

Originally wanted to put rear camera in the trunk button hole, but opted to install just below for minimum mods to the Jag.

Wiring worked well to the trunk lid with a little Dremel work on the hinge bracket....

Since I quit smoking years ago, the ashtray provided a good spot for both the audio and the video switches

For automatic reverse camera, I tapped in to the Parking Aid Control Module located by the Trunk Fuse Box.

Both audio and video works great with minor mods to the car.

The following 2 users liked this post by nalle:
DavidYau (11-17-2019), Timeisrelative (11-17-2019)
Old 11-17-2019, 01:18 PM
Default Video System

That is a fantastic write up but where does one find an RGB-LE video system converter? I have looked everywhere....

Old 11-17-2019, 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by scotstern
That is a fantastic write up but where does one find an RGB-LE video system converter? I have looked everywhere....
Try this.

https://car-solutions.com/en/catalog...rchword=rgb-le

It's the one on the bottom "Low End". Works great!

Old 11-17-2019, 01:38 PM

Forgot to attach the manual.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
User_manual_RGB_LE_rev4.pdf (956.2 KB, 248 views)
Old 11-17-2019, 04:07 PM
Default Front & Rear Camera

Is this plug and play or do you have to wire into the system somewhere? Also, what camera did you use and again, was it plug and play with the RGB-LE or did you have to wire it into something? You did a great job. Any additional information that you could provide would be totally welcomed as I too want to do this.....

Old 11-17-2019, 04:58 PM

Is this plug and play or do you have to wire into the system somewhere? Also, what camera did you use and again, was it plug and play with the RGB-LE or did you have to wire it into something? You did a great job. Any additional information that you could provide would be totally welcomed as I too want to do this.....
You have to unbolt the whole CD/NAV unit in the trunk. Cut the RGB cable from the Nav DVD player to the display and splice in the RGB plugs that came with the RGB-LE. You can find the wire color codes on the Jaguar wiring diagrams. I bought two TopTierPro mini cameras at Amazon - one for front and one for rear. The rear one is mounted below the trunk handle and wired to automatically turn on when in reverse. I found an "reverse on" wire in the trunk as mentioned in my original post.. For the front Camera - used to avoid cement barriers - I bought a 20 foot quality Composite Video Cable and ran under the car. Did not want to use that cable that came with the camera for under car mount. Lots of feed possibilities in the right wheel wells and hydraulic lines under the floor for tying.
The unit comes with a remote control, which i did not use. I only brought the switch wire forward to the center console. I did replace the switch with something better - it is the blue illuminated one in my first post. For each push, the switch will cycle thru the different inputs. With the dip switch, you can bypass some of the inputs so it only cycles thru the ones you use. Slick! That is pretty much it!
By the way, you also installed the JAGCD-HF. I did not like the small mic/switch combo so I ordered the remote microphone. However, I was told that even with the remote mic, you have to use the switch in the mic.
you can not use any old switch. Never got an answer why, so probably have to try with another switch some day.

Looks messy, but I test wired everything first!!!

DavidYau (11-17-2019)
Old 11-17-2019, 05:17 PM

Thank you so much for all of the information. After I figure out where the pictures are, in terms of the car, I am going to order all of the necessary components. I did remove the back stack to install the bluetooth adapter so......I do know my way around that part of the installation. Your description, write-up and pictures make this a much easier project. Thanks sooooooooooo much!

Scot

Old 11-17-2019, 05:21 PM

Thank you so much for all of the information. After I figure out where the pictures are, in terms of the car, I am going to order all of the necessary components. I did remove the back stack to install the bluetooth adapter so......I do know my way around that part of the installation. Your description, write-up and pictures make this a much easier project. Thanks sooooooooooo much!

Scot
Anything unclear, just let me know. I might have more pics somewhere. I did both installation in one clip as I had the rear seat out.

Old 11-19-2019, 12:16 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My transmitter just arrived through the post, will try it before ordering the BT45. My plan is still to install a smartphone to replace the old satnav. Also ordered a low-profile ODB2 so will use that with TorquePro to give pretty readouts on the new smartphone dash. That, Google Maps and a music app should do the job, though I am tempted to try and get RealDash working. If the ODB2 works fine with the XK8 and Torque I will post price and details here.

Phillip.

Old 11-19-2019, 01:06 PM
Received 105 Likes on 56 Posts

I installed the same unit in my XKR as Zray, A2D-Jag98, couldn't be happier!

Last edited by Hdpartsman00XKR; 11-19-2019 at 01:14 PM.
zray (11-19-2019)
Old 05-16-2022, 06:36 AM
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Hdpartsman00XKR
I installed the same unit in my XKR as Zray, A2D-Jag98, couldn't be happier!
Hi,
What’s the audio quality with A2D-JAG98?

Old 05-16-2022, 11:54 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by banar
Hi,
What’s the audio quality with A2D-JAG98?

I can’t tell any difference between using the CD player or using the Discount Stereo Bluetooth input.

Z

Old 05-16-2022, 02:59 PM
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

That's great
I just ordered it! Delivery later this week.

Old 05-16-2022, 03:33 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by banar
That's great
I just ordered it! Delivery later this week.
the hardest part of the installation was unbolting the audio rack. My installation was with the Discount Audio Bluetooth device for cars with a CD changer, and no cutting of wiring was needed. After I had access to the audio rack electrical connectors all I had to do was unplug a couple of connectors and plug in the new wiring. After that everything worked as promised.

Z

Quick Reply: Bluetooth Connection