XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Boot won't close...

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2019, 03:01 PM
Veteran Member
Received 456 Likes on 299 Posts

To save me reading the entire thread again could you clarify something? If you put the boot lid down does it feel like its hitting something solid and will not close any further? Or it goes into the slot but it does not catch and just opens again?

Old 03-15-2019, 03:13 AM
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by DavidYau
Even here in Bahrain, I can sense the frustration. Am I hearing a girlfriend*/partner*/fiancé/ wife* (*delete as applicable) saying “...You should not have fiddled with it, you broke it, it was perfectly fine until you touched it....”
Well it wasn't working perfectly before, i remember i had to close the boot twice the day i bought it (but thought it was me not slamming hard enough) and randomly after that. The week-end before what we would now call "the incident" my wife slammed it 4 times before it closed. but again she was laughing and claiming that she has to get used to my new car, so again it didn't really ring a bell. So before it was closing with difficulty but it was closing at some point so the problem isn't strictly related to the boot light diagnosis and the part you gently sent me, it just put some light on it even though it was already there.

I tried the "get in the boot" method and for the first time and with a lot of patience i could finally close it (my wife was slamming / pushing on the boot) but to do so, i had to leverage the latch with a screwdriver in the highst possible position, but i could'nt get it to stay there because as i said earlier, the threads of the bolts are worn... and i think it's putting way too much stress on the bolts anyway, it's not a natural position.

Someone asked about if the car has been in an accident before, no it didn't : shapes are perfectly normal no dent or weird stuff, but someone had definitely a previous battle with this latch because theres scratches all around it. Next steps are trying to buy new slightly bigger bolts and take it to a garage who has maybe better ideas than i did (with your help, thanks again everyone)

Old 03-15-2019, 03:16 AM

Originally Posted by dibbit
Rather than climb into the boot, set up your mobile phone to video the latch from the inside as you are trying to close the lid - at least you should then be able to see what the alignment issue actually is.
Yup thanks, that's what i did, i even posted a video

Old 03-15-2019, 03:19 AM

Originally Posted by frankc
To save me reading the entire thread again could you clarify something? If you put the boot lid down does it feel like its hitting something solid and will not close any further? Or it goes into the slot but it does not catch and just opens again?
Well, the hook goes into the slot but the plastic piece inside the latch isn't pushed far enough to make a full turn and lock it in place. I removed the aluminium / plastic 4cm part on the right hand of the hook on the boot lid guessing that it would prevent it from locking but it didn't change anything.

It's like the boot lid isn"t going down enough (can i change that ?) or the latch isn't high enough when properly bolted.

Last edited by Ryan B; 03-15-2019 at 03:22 AM.
Old 03-15-2019, 03:31 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,417 Likes on 755 Posts
Default Maybe try an adjustment to bump stop first

Maybe try adjusting the bump stop next to the hook. When boot goes down It hits on a fir tree plastic connector used to fix plastic liner.

Old 03-15-2019, 03:37 AM

I did, i even completely unscrewed it !

Old 03-15-2019, 03:40 AM
Veteran Member
Received 460 Likes on 332 Posts

Originally Posted by Ryan B
Yup thanks, that's what i did, i even posted a video
If its in this thread I can't see it - might be handy so people can see what is going on.

Old 03-15-2019, 03:49 AM

Here it is : https://photos.app.goo.gl/CpKqSM55YrNwMCpi7

You're right, i'll update the first post i'm aware that some don't want to read all this thread.
EDIT : Well, i can't, the edit button is hidden after a while i guess, i can see it on recent posts but not on the older ones !

Old 03-15-2019, 04:26 AM
Ltd
Received 52 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by RJ237
Unless the hoop in the boot lid is bent out of position or the latch is at the wrong height it should catch. It doesn't seem possible to have a problem.
Have you checked for deformation of the metal where the hoop mounts?

Jag boots shouldn’t need slamming.

Old 03-15-2019, 04:34 AM
Veteran Member
Received 456 Likes on 299 Posts

Well, the hook goes into the slot but the plastic piece inside the latch isn't pushed far enough to make a full turn and lock it in place. I removed the aluminium / plastic 4cm part on the right hand of the hook on the boot lid guessing that it would prevent it from locking but it didn't change anything.

It's like the boot lid isn"t going down enough (can i change that ?) or the latch isn't high enough when properly bolted.
I think I may know what this is. First off when all the other doors are closed I would bet you DONT get the boot open light come on the dash?

Sounds to me like a problem I had with the door. Hang on brb. Going to try and find a link for you.

This is what happened to me https://www.jaguarforum.com/showthre...=1#post1077277 but I did not put up the solution.

Bear with me. I will try to be as clear as possible, without sounding condescending.

Basically you pull down the boot lid. The 'D' on the lid drops into a slot in the bodywork below. It hits the bottom of a U shaped catch? Hitting the bottom it forces the U shaped catch in the bottom to turn and go over the D from the lid and hold it in place.

What I think has happened to yours is that the latch in the body work has already 'turned' to grasp the D from the lid. So there is nothing for it to go into as its already closed. All you will hit the top of the holding hook and it will go no further. Hence why I asked if your warning light was off. If it is the system already thinks the boot is closed.

Hope this makes sense.

Last edited by frankc; 03-15-2019 at 04:59 AM.
Old 03-15-2019, 05:06 AM
Veteran Member
Received 460 Likes on 332 Posts

You're right, i'll update the first post i'm aware that some don't want to read all this thread.
EDIT : Well, i can't, the edit button is hidden after a while i guess, i can see it on recent posts but not on the older ones !
Thanks - I missed it the first time.

I was thinking more of angling the camera so you can see exactly what is (not) going on in the latch.

Old 03-15-2019, 05:50 AM

Originally Posted by frankc
I think I may know what this is. First off when all the other doors are closed I would bet you DONT get the boot open light come on the dash?

Sounds to me like a problem I had with the door. Hang on brb. Going to try and find a link for you.

This is what happened to me https://www.jaguarforum.com/showthread.php?t=75123&p=1077277&viewfull=1#post10 77277 but I did not put up the solution.

Bear with me. I will try to be as clear as possible, without sounding condescending.

Basically you pull down the boot lid. The 'D' on the lid drops into a slot in the bodywork below. It hits the bottom of a U shaped catch? Hitting the bottom it forces the U shaped catch in the bottom to turn and go over the D from the lid and hold it in place.

What I think has happened to yours is that the latch in the body work has already 'turned' to grasp the D from the lid. So there is nothing for it to go into as its already closed. All you will hit the top of the holding hook and it will go no further. Hence why I asked if your warning light was off. If it is the system already thinks the boot is closed.

Hope this makes sense.
What you mean is i am trying to close it with the latch in the closed position but i'm not, the "D" hits the "U" and make it turn, but not enough, as if it was too low.

I've taken some pictures of the boot / bodywork : i don't see any bend or damage except from some scratched paint.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/kSjFuJMJjCyq2qaQ8

Last edited by Ryan B; 03-15-2019 at 06:59 AM.
Old 03-15-2019, 10:13 AM
Veteran Member
Default Did you check around boot contact perimeter?

just a thought - may not be the latch. Could be something simple around the boot lip contact area. Something like rubbish collecting around hinge, the rubber seal not seating, something loose etc

Old 03-15-2019, 03:00 PM

Originally Posted by DavidYau
just a thought - may not be the latch. Could be something simple around the boot lip contact area. Something like rubbish collecting around hinge, the rubber seal not seating, something loose etc
Nope, the car has been deeply cleaned after purchase and the rubber seal around the opening is just like it should... I told you it's a complete mystery

Old 03-15-2019, 07:24 PM
Ltd
Received 52 Likes on 33 Posts

You say the bolts are loose from numerous titghtening and asjustion? Most likely the latch assembly is bumping down with contact. Try the reverse, instead of raising the locking catch, try raising it.

I know now it sounds counterintuitive but maybe it’s over traveling and rebounding open. Pushing down firmly should be all that’s needed. Slamming has the reverse effect, ie making the catch bounce open.

Old 03-15-2019, 08:37 PM
Veteran Member

Ryan,

From your pictures, this has been an issue with your car for a while now even with the previous owner. I did notice you have alot of wear on the hook coming down.

There's a post here way back on #5 about the hook being the problem, not the latch. Put a ruler on the surrounding top metal body next to hook to check for any deformation from repeated slamming of the boot.

I had a similar problem with my driver's door. I noticed the door frame's receiving striker was badly worn so the latch in the swinging door wasn't catching it easily. To test my theory, I wrapped the striker to make it bigger, to see if the door would catch better. It did so I just needed a new striker.

Old 03-15-2019, 11:10 PM
Received 6,253 Likes on 5,453 Posts

There's a time limit on post edits.
I've added the link to your first post.

Old 03-16-2019, 08:00 AM

TIME FOR THE EPILOGUE:

How?
I took it to the mechanic this morning. First time in 15 years of owning cars !
What my mechanic did is... drill 2 holes in the new bought latch so he could fit it higher than the default position (in the same body holes which were worn, he rethreaded them)

I had the right diagnosis (latch too low, the hook couldn't get far enough into the latch slot) but i kept on telling myself that i was doing something wrong because it is supposed to work like this.

As an explanation we think that my boot might not be original, though definetly an mk1 one, maybe it's from an xk8 and they're slightly higher, i don't know.

Thanks to everyone who helped, looked into this and maybe shared my headache, the important now is that it is working fine, the boot lights too (thanks david) so i'm gonna tackle another "problem" now : changing the gearbox oil (722.6 mercedes) and fitting a bluetooth module for my music.

Cheers everyone!

The following users liked this post:
michaelh (03-16-2019)
Old 03-16-2019, 09:28 AM
Veteran Member
Default Congrats! You learn something new on an old car

Well done Ryan - with old cars you’ll fix one thing and find something else wrong.

Seems someone has replaced your boot lid.... and you’ll never know why. For me my AJ26 engine was switched to a AJ27 later version.

good luck and let us how you get on.

What you do could help someone else