XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brake Caliper Upgrade for 2000 XKR

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2017, 12:04 AM
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Brake Caliper Upgrade for 2000 XKR

I'm looking to cannibalize parts from my 2003 STR (65K miles) and transplant them into my 2000 XKR (129K Miles). Besides the Obvious Engine/Transmission swap what other part are a good candidate for this project.

The backstory: A couple of years ago the head gasket failed on the STR so It was sitting in my garage for a year before I decided to sell it "as-is". After a year of dealing with low ballers I decided that I would part it and keep as much as possible for myself. Was planning on getting another STR but have decided to focus my attn on the XKR that I love but would like to update her.

I will not be doing a direct swap from the XKR to a STR. SO...

The 1st Project Id like to take on is the brake conversion the 03 STR has the beefier Caliper up front and rear and has the Elc Park brake caliper on the rears as well. Any advise you can offer would be a great help.

2nd Project is the Shocks. Both cars have the CATS . Are the shocks interchangeable? What am I going to have issues with? The XKR shocks are squeaking quite a bit.

Old 06-06-2017, 01:47 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,808 Likes on 1,115 Posts

Just wonder, what is an STR?

Old 06-06-2017, 01:54 AM
dsd
Veteran Member
Received 326 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnken
Just wonder, what is an STR?
Jaguar S-Type R.

Not sure why the Transmission, Engine is an obvious swap. The 2000 XKR is a 4.0 and the 4.2 from the 03 will be very different for all the ECUs.

The following users liked this post:
Johnken (06-06-2017)
Old 06-06-2017, 08:17 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,410 Likes on 876 Posts

Wish you well . . . because if you do the engine+trans swap, you are taking on an even nastier re-build than updating an early 4.0L S-Type 5spd with your later 4.2L S-Type 6spd. Issues are not in the mechanicals; nor in the purely electricals; but the myriad of electronic and comms issues and their re-programming will be a pita. Only my 2c, but suggest you slow down and wonder why even the S-Type to S-Type upgrade is not done.

If you manage it, and better still post your progress with pics, you will be heaped with congratulations . . . but, it may prove easier to just trade up to the later X100.

Cheers,

Ken

Old 06-06-2017, 10:30 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,487 Likes on 1,043 Posts

Originally Posted by DrkNyte
brake conversion the 03 STR.
The STR calipers and XKR calipers are different. STR Brembo calipers are available on eBay, sometimes cheap, and are compatible with the later X350 XJR I believe. XKR Brembo calipers are specific to the XKR and earlier X308 XJR (with the R1 package).

From a distance, it seems like the more obvious path out of your situation is to repair the head gasket on your STR for use or resale. Ton of work, not that much money in parts, perfect DIY...

Best of luck.

Old 06-06-2017, 11:51 AM
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Well I figured folks would want to see me transplant the Engine Tranny from the S-Type R to the XKR for more HP. I would have to do an engine rebuild and as you have mentioned that's a lot of risk for very little reward. Actually, I'm happy with the Performance of the 4.0 as it has an Arden Performance upgrade making around 460hp. So other than that, I asking for other opportunities for improvements on the 2000 XKR with Parts form the 2003 S-Type R (aka STR). I would like to be able to swap the shocks both cars have CATS but I don't know if the ones from the 2003 STR will be compatible with the 2000 XKR or can be slightly modified to fit the XKR. The current setup on my XKR is the Arden suspension package which is about 2 inches lower than a stock XKR. I'm thinking I may be able to use the Shocks as long as I keep the Arden springs. Also, regarding the Brake caliper upgrade. If I'm reading this correctly, I should abandon this idea and instead go with XKR calipers as they are vastly different from the STR calipers, Right?

Adding to my backstory:
I've already tried to go with the Head gasket repair but on the STR tools are way to costly and may end up with other issues. Also, the recommendation is an engine replacement and again way too costly. Ive tried to sell it as a whole car but after a year of lowballers calling I decided to part it out. So far I have made more money than what I bought the car for and I still have a tom of good parts left. hence the reasoning behind me wanting to use some of the parts I have left on the XKR. I hope that all makes sense.

Last edited by DrkNyte; 06-06-2017 at 11:55 AM.
Old 06-07-2017, 07:02 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,483 Likes on 3,901 Posts

It's a bit like asking can I take parts of my dog and fit them to my cat? I mean, they both have legs, heart, etc so it sounds OK.

But it isn't and in effect yours also aren't.

+1 on fixing the STR