Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Car Cover - squirrel or bird problem

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2013, 09:06 AM
WGS
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Car Cover - squirrel or bird problem

I am very well pleased to use a car cover for my 2005 XK8 Convertible. My assigned parking place is under trees which means bird droppings, sap, leaves, twigs, and then there's pollen in the spring. I have had a Block-it Evolution car cover for about four years. It was still functional, but there was reason to replace it. I now have a Block-it Noah car cover and hesitate using it before I resolve the following problem.

For the Evolution car cover I could observe birds and squirrels pecking away at the material and actually penetrating it. I really can't say which animal was causing the damage.

Does anyone have any experience with this? Is there an anti-"varmint" spray or chemical that you might suggest?

Old 03-08-2013, 09:49 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,982 Likes on 2,123 Posts

I have been dealing with the exact same problem for the last few weeks! My $300 cover is in shreds. I tried Deer Off animal repellant, but it did not work.

I am fairly sure it is squirrels, but I have not caught them in the act yet.

The following users liked this post:
WGS (03-08-2013)
Old 03-08-2013, 10:45 AM
Received 126 Likes on 110 Posts

I have used moth ***** and ammonia in my boat under the cover to keep cats out. I put some moth ***** under my car and under then hood when I had a mouse problem and that worked.

If you can figure out a way to use either of these it might work. In my usages they were not open to sunlight and so forth. I put a shallow pan of ammonia in my boat and just threw some moth ***** around. I don't know how you could use either of these on top of a car out in the open.

I have a coraplast sign that I put over my top at home to keep the cats off. Good luck, I am sure that it is very annoying.

The following users liked this post:
WGS (03-08-2013)
Old 03-08-2013, 11:32 AM
WGS
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for your replies. I had planned to experiment with moth *****. Many years ago I had used them in Vermont to keep porcupines from chewing up tires, brake lines, anything plastic or salty. Nothing worked until I wrapped the car in chicken wire.

My new car cover is still in the carton. I will pour in a bunch of moth ***** and let it sit for a while before I use the new cover.

I hope moth ***** are still paradichlorobenzene. There's probably a law against them now.

Old 03-08-2013, 01:33 PM
Received 123 Likes on 104 Posts

Fox and Coyote urine is a great rodent repellent. Now of course it's up to you on how to gather all the secret ingredients to that formula. I've used a product called "Shake Away" with pretty good results for mice,rats and chipmunks in my outdoor grill. I put some of the granular product in a cup in the storage area under the grill---have not seen mice droppings at all this winter. The scent might not be real attractive on your car cover.

Old 03-08-2013, 03:41 PM
Received 126 Likes on 110 Posts

Originally Posted by WGS
Thanks for your replies. I had planned to experiment with moth *****. Many years ago I had used them in Vermont to keep porcupines from chewing up tires, brake lines, anything plastic or salty. Nothing worked until I wrapped the car in chicken wire.

My new car cover is still in the carton. I will pour in a bunch of moth ***** and let it sit for a while before I use the new cover.

I hope moth ***** are still paradichlorobenzene. There's probably a law against them now.
I had another thought that you might try. I don't know if the moth ***** that you intend to use will dissolve in water, but, if they do, you might crush some of them and make a mild solution of mothballs in water to put into a spray bottle that you could spray on the top as needed. I'd certainly test a little area, as I don't know if such a thing would damage your top. You may also try spraying some ammonia after testing that, as it comes in a liquid form already.