Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cat sensor connectors

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2018, 09:25 AM
Received 31 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Cat sensor connectors

Follow up question.
Are there multipin connectors to the cat sensors subject to corrosion? If so where are they located?
I had to replace the thermostat housing cap and notice that there are 2 multipin connectors just next to the cap that show signs of being exposed to the cap leak coolant. Could they be part of it?

Old 08-17-2018, 10:22 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,317 Likes on 1,004 Posts

The connectors to the right and left of the thermostat tower are the connections for the Knock sensors located beneath the intake manifold. The cat connectors are mounted on the center of the firewall just above the transmission bell housing. Any electrical connector can be subject to corrosion. Is the check engine light illuminated, if so have the codes read and post the numbers. If there is no check engine light then the knock sensor connections and cat connections are probably fine.

Old 08-17-2018, 10:43 AM

Originally Posted by avern1
The connectors to the right and left of the thermostat tower are the connections for the Knock sensors located beneath the intake manifold. The cat connectors are mounted on the center of the firewall just above the transmission bell housing. Any electrical connector can be subject to corrosion. Is the check engine light illuminated, if so have the codes read and post the numbers. If there is no check engine light then the knock sensor connections and cat connections are probably fine.
Thank you! No codes just p1000 but having no luck getting the cat sensor to reset. (details mentioned in my other post today)

Old 08-17-2018, 11:28 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,487 Likes on 1,043 Posts

If you had basic electrical problems, you would have codes (shorts, disconnect, etc.). Many have posted about these monitors not reaching completion before. I would say do basic sanity check like fuel trims to see if you are not fighting air leaks, etc. On my car, these O2 monitors complete quickly. Others have had to struggle for weeks. My car takes much longer (days) to complete the "comprehensive" monitor. Go figure...

The final answer is that you need to somehow satisfy these software monitors. There are resources online to locate specific steps. These should normally be standard tests (OBDII), not specific to Jaguar. Most muddle through until it completes. Make sure your driving varies (not just highway or low rpm in town driving). Not a particularly fun place to be if you are in a transaction (sale, emissions inspection, etc.).

Check Jaguar-drive-cycle

Best of luck, keep us posted.

Old 08-18-2018, 12:20 PM

Originally Posted by avern1
Thanks, that makes complete sense as I was hearing a tiny (just that hmmm that's a new sound) bit of knocking and thinking it sounded a bit rough. I doused those connectors in cleaner and WD40 and it's quiet again.