XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The CAT sounds angry - pics and video

Old 10-12-2013, 10:26 AM
Received 63 Likes on 44 Posts
Default The CAT sounds angry - pics and video

2005 Jaguar XKR – a beautiful grand touring coupe without a proper exhaust note, or any exhaust note for that matter. Yesterday I certainly took care of that problem. For the past month I have researched various exhaust options for the XK8/R and I have learned several important things:
1. One can spend a considerable amount of $ to buy a name brand exhaust system and still not achieve the desirable exhaust note.
2. YouTube videos showing dozens of clips with various exhaust systems and configurations are deceiving, as I have learned through my own experience, when I posted my video clip. The sound coming through YouTube is usually less dramatic and not as intense as when you hear it in person. The exhaust note that sounds loud in a YouTube video is actually considerably louder in person. This may possibly lead one to pick a system based on a YouTube video, only to find out that the actual install does not sound exactly the same when witnessed in person.
3. What sounds great to one person may sound not grand to another. Pouring over countless forum threads on the topic is fun, but following someone else’s steps may lead to disappointment, as people’s taste varies from one person to another (duh ).
4. Jaguar XK8 is so rare that not many companies want to design for our cars and the one’s that do, naturally require a hefty premium for their R&D effort.

I spoke to several muffler shops in the New York Metro area and learned that while I have but a few options to choose from, all of them are on the expensive side. So I decided to proceed with a different approach – one of trial and error. I found a shop that was willing to experiment with the exhaust system by removing OEM muffler components section by section in order to understand which mufflers to leave and which to remove or replace. We started at the back by removing the post-axle set of mufflers. That really did not change the exhaust note much. There was a tiny bit more noise coming out of the back pipes, but no desired growl. We then removed the small boxes right before the axle only to find out that they have no influence on the sound what so ever. With only the big center muffler left, we knew that we could not take it out without compensating for it with something else or the would be way too much growl. The shop mechanic recommended that I install a set of Magnaflow High Performance Street mufflers after the axle, but I really wanted Borla boxes. A while back I had a 911 with an after market Borla system and it was incredible. It turns out that Borla does not make rear mufflers for 2003-2006 XKRs . The mechanic convinced me that Magnaflows would work perfectly and I would get the deep growl that I am looking for in the exhaust note. Plus, he said, the Magnaflows cost a small fraction of what Borla, Arden and Mina charge. I reluctantly agreed. I was extremely disappointed, when after installing the Magnaflow set of rear boxes, the car became even quieter than before. That meant one thing – the large OEM center muffler had to go. After it was removed, Magnaflow became the only mufflers left on the car. After turning the ignition on, the car came to life. The exhaust note is now a deep burble at idle. As I apply the throttle, the cat roars like an angry beast that it was meant to be. It sounds more like an Aston Martin now than it does like an XK8 and I truly love it. Within a week or two, I will continue with the experiment, by adding a Magnaflow X-Pipe.
For those who are interested, I’m attaching some pictures of before/during/after, as well as a video clip of the final configuration. As I mentioned before, the sound on the clip is less intense than in person and the occasional crackling that you hear, is so deliciously sweet sounding in person, but more of a popping noise in the video. If anyone has questions or comments, be my guest.

Here is the video link:

Attached Thumbnails The CAT sounds angry - pics and video-image_1.jpeg   The CAT sounds angry - pics and video-image_2.jpeg   The CAT sounds angry - pics and video-image_3.jpeg   The CAT sounds angry - pics and video-image_4.jpeg   The CAT sounds angry - pics and video-image_5.jpeg  

The following 12 users liked this post by DevSpider:
Bob OB (10-12-2013), Catenaccio (01-29-2014), Ibflyer01 (11-17-2013), Jeff in Tucson (10-22-2013), keestanis (10-13-2013), pitifulpluto (10-12-2013), RJag (03-02-2014), RoVerto (02-13-2020), sverroc (09-28-2014), Tommy K (02-07-2017), ttiverson98 (10-18-2013), weisberg (03-05-2014) and 7 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 10-12-2013, 11:01 AM
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Thumbs up Exhausts

Your comprehensive work on the aftermarket options is outstanding. The photos and video are exactly what I needed. Thanks for the details...

The following users liked this post:
DevSpider (10-12-2013)
Old 10-12-2013, 11:15 AM
Veteran member
Received 1,143 Likes on 749 Posts

You'll should lose the popping with the addition of the x-pipe. Its definitely a good choice though.

Attached Thumbnails The CAT sounds angry - pics and video-x-ppe.jpg  
The following 3 users liked this post by H20boy:
DevSpider (10-12-2013), User 070620 (10-29-2013), weisberg (03-05-2014)
Old 10-12-2013, 11:31 AM

Originally Posted by H20boy
You'll should lose the popping with the addition of the x-pipe. Its definitely a good choice though.
I actually like the popping sound... If I will lose it after the X-Pipe install, I'll remove the X-Pipe. The popping MUST stay

Old 10-12-2013, 12:44 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,336 Likes on 722 Posts

That is orgasmic. I would love to hear it in person. So how much did it cost you? Where is the cat? Will that affect the car's ability to pass state inspections?

How different do you think the sound would be in a N/A 4.0 XK8?

Last edited by giandanielxk8; 10-12-2013 at 12:46 PM.
DevSpider (10-12-2013)
Old 10-12-2013, 03:15 PM

Orgasmic is a good word for this exhaust note. You can hear it in person if you're in NYC area. The total cost was under $700.00 and most of the cost was due to labor as we were experimenting with different set-ups and this was time consuming and required extensive pipe customization (bending and cutting). The cat is in place. I left it stock, so the state inspection should not be an issue.
I have to say, that at first the ride seemed loud, but after one day of driving, not only am I used to it, but I also rev the engine more frequently to hear the growl. Don't get it done if you want to stay incognito - people will hear you coming and going

Old 10-12-2013, 03:54 PM
Veteran Member
Received 256 Likes on 196 Posts

I highly recommend you install an X pipe. I too had been playing around with exhaust options. The latest that I had was a full Arden system with Nameless track pipes. The sound was great but I started to hear a rattle noise at times in the large front muffler. I decided to order an X pipe from Pypes.

2.5" X-Pipe Tunnel Crossover Kit 304SS XVF10S

We installed this as a direct fit into the Arden system. It was very labor intensive as I wanted a direct bolt on replacement for the muffler. I was shocked at how much better the car sounds & also runs. I was expecting some sort of flat spot but it is fact even more responsive. I will take some photos in the next few days.

Old 10-12-2013, 04:01 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by JgaXkr
I highly recommend you install an X pipe. I too had been playing around with exhaust options. The latest that I had was a full Arden system with Nameless track pipes. The sound was great but I started to hear a rattle noise at times in the large front muffler. I decided to order an X pipe from Pypes.

We installed this as a direct fit into the Arden system. It was very labor intensive as I wanted a direct bolt on replacement for the muffler. I was shocked at how much better the car sounds & also runs. I was expecting some sort of flat spot but it is fact even more responsive. I will take some photos in the next few days.

He eliminated the large muffler and the two other small mufflers in front of the axle and he swaped the ones behind the axle for the Magnaflows. I don't think he's going to hear a rattle from the large muffler because he doesn't have it.

I don't know what difference the X-Pipe makes, it may be better for performance, but if it means his orgasmic exhaust note is going to be altered for the worse, then I say screw it. I think he has achieved an exhaust note that rivals the F-type's without spending a fortune in R&D.

$700 is not too bad considering you were experimenting. I'm guessing the cost would be substantially lower if you were to just directly implement your setup.

Old 10-12-2013, 04:13 PM
Veteran Member
Received 567 Likes on 514 Posts

Magnaflows - got part #?

Old 10-12-2013, 04:37 PM
Veteran Member
Received 256 Likes on 196 Posts

Originally Posted by giandanielxk8
He eliminated the large muffler and the two other small mufflers in front of the axle and he swaped the ones behind the axle for the Magnaflows. I don't think he's going to hear a rattle from the large muffler because he doesn't have it.

I don't know what difference the X-Pipe makes, it may be better for performance, but if it means his orgasmic exhaust note is going to be altered for the worse, then I say screw it. I think he has achieved an exhaust note that rivals the F-type's without spending a fortune in R&D.

$700 is not too bad considering you were experimenting. I'm guessing the cost would be substantially lower if you were to just directly implement your setup.
I was referring to my car making a noise due to a possible loose baffle as the reason I installed the X pipe. Not his car.
https://www.google.com/search?q=macl...dpr=1#imgdii=_

Here is a link to photos of the system Bill Macleod developed years ago. Those of us who have been around will remember him as San Diego Mac.

User 070620 (03-07-2014)
Old 10-12-2013, 04:56 PM
Veteran Member

Haha, ok.

This mod is definitely on my todo list.

Old 10-12-2013, 05:26 PM

I will be installing an X-Pipe within a week or two. At this point I'm not so sure that it will improve the sound all that much as the exhaust note is pretty sweet right now - no rattle noise or droning at all. As I mentioned in the original post, when applying throttle while idling, there are crackling pops which I love hearing. I only wish that they were a bit louder. If installing the X-pipe will quite down the sound or remove the cracking pops, I will remove it.

Old 10-12-2013, 05:36 PM

If I went directly to my current setup without experimenting, the whole job would cost me under $500.00. I think that's incredibly low, considering someone wanted to charge me close to 3K for complete Arden system (cat back). It turns out Magnaflow makes a solid product out of stainless steel, nonetheless. The center OEM muffler is the biggest culprit in deadening the exhaust note. Frankly, I don't know why Jaguar decided to install 5 mufflers on a GT. if I wanted the quiet of a living room, I'd get a Lexus.

Old 10-12-2013, 05:44 PM
Veteran Member

Back then all of their cars were whisper quiet. I think they were trying to be a "bargain" Rolls Royce or something.

Old 10-12-2013, 05:55 PM

I was referring to my car making a noise due to a possible loose baffle as the reason I installed the X pipe. Not his car.
https://www.google.com/search?q=macl...dpr=1#imgdii=_

Here is a link to photos of the system Bill Macleod developed years ago. Those of us who have been around will remember him as San Diego Mac.

MacLeod MK II X-Pipe - YouTube
Macleod car sounds awesome. I know because I saw the clip 20 times, as well as the video of the Golden Bridge drive. I also saw 100's of other clips of various systems. The sky is the limit and I did not want to spend a fortune on shiny tubes that no one will ever see (except the oil change guy). Furthermore, the polished parts, if not being looked after right, will get dirty and dull.

Btw, here's the link to the muffler: MagnaFlow Exhaust Products - For Trucks, Suv's, American Muscle, Diesel, & Sport Compact Vehicles

Bad Cattitude (10-12-2013)
Old 10-12-2013, 07:00 PM
Veteran Member
Received 133 Likes on 107 Posts

Here's my vid done shortly after doing full modification with NP 200 Cell cats, Borla 2 in 2 out center with internal X pipe and Mina Gallery exhaust.

For what it's worth, it's far much louder and sounds better a year and a half or so later. I'll try to record a new one soon.

User 070620 (03-07-2014)
Old 10-12-2013, 08:19 PM
Veteran Member

There's a lot of potential with modifying the exhaust in these cars. To think that I can get that with less than $500.

I'm not sure which of these three examples I'm liking the most. Dev, could you post a video of yours but try revving it a little higher please.

This should be phil's next mod.

Old 10-12-2013, 10:17 PM
Received 140 Likes on 103 Posts

Amazing sound! She actually snarls!!

Old 10-13-2013, 12:59 AM

Originally Posted by xenophobe
Here's my vid done shortly after doing full modification with NP 200 Cell cats, Borla 2 in 2 out center with internal X pipe and Mina Gallery exhaust.

For what it's worth, it's far much louder and sounds better a year and a half or so later. I'll try to record a new one soon.

VID_20120528_172123.mp4 - YouTube
I read your posts as well and saw your video too. I like your sound a lot. This is why I wanted Borla for my set up, but was talked out of it by the mechanic. Actually, I was looking for Borla rear mufflers, but couldn't find the right setup. I'm curious how your car would sound with Borla in center, followed by straight pipes - without Mina boxes.
In a way I felt bad removing the OEM mufflers as they look almost new. I'm keeping them just in case.

Old 10-13-2013, 01:10 AM

There's a lot of potential with modifying the exhaust in these cars. To think that I can get that with less than $500.

I'm not sure which of these three examples I'm liking the most. Dev, could you post a video of yours but try revving it a little higher please.

This should be phil's next mod.
I'll try to record a video clip with higher revs within the next few days. I must say, however, at prolonged freeway speed, it does get a bit too loud. It would be great to install an electronic valve controlled exhaust - with a flip of a switch you can make it quite or loud.
This is not my daily driver. Driving the car every day with my exhaust would be a bit overwhelming. I am enjoying the sound and the attention for now.

giandanielxk8 (10-13-2013)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: The CAT sounds angry - pics and video