Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The CAT sounds angry - pics and video

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2013, 03:48 PM
Veteran Member
Received 133 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by DevSpider
Xenophobe, your Borla looks like its a muffler and an X-Pipe all in one. At this point if I was to install the same model unit into my car, it (IMO) would suppress the exhaust note way too much. But in your setup it works really well. As I mentioned in an earlier thread, I liked your car's exhaust note the most from watching hundreds of clips. It's a perfect combination between being aggressive enough to enjoy and passive enough not to wake up the neighbors in the wee hours.
Yeah, it does have an internal X-pipe. The small diamond shape in the center, from my memory of the cutaway view, is like a small chamber shared by all the pipes.

Borla calls this their "value priced" line now. In 2011, before they reorganized their exhaust systems to focus more on complete packages, it was their performance line and they also had one or two product lines that were less expensive.

Originally Posted by aode06
Nice!! Nice!!

Im pleased with your results, because Im doing a gear change , exhaust, and cold air intake on my kitty soon.

I do like the silent sneaky approach lol and just past by some one lol silently , but that sounds nice, one more reason for me to drive fast lol/

Only one thing, stock exhaust is stainless and last a long time, muffler shops use aluminum that does not.

I highly rec a high temp coating or paint to eliminate rust, or pay the extra for stainless steel piping instead of needing it fixed every few years.
My muffler shop only uses stainless. Aluminum doesn't rust but the top layer will oxidize. Stainless steel rusts rather quickly when subjected to the rigors of being used for exhaust.

Old 10-16-2013, 04:32 PM
Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Jag#4
Krajcok,

I didn't see you in the earlier threads. What mods have you done to the exhaust system?
I'll copy & paste from my YT channel:

Jaguar XKR 4.0 supercharged equipped with custom made inox 57 mm dia (2 mm wall) cat-back under axle exhaust: x-pipe in factory position and two back boxes with dimensions close to oem back boxes. Removed intake silencers. Factory catalytic converters.

Then I put magnaflow 200 cpsi converters but the difference is subtle, if any.

The following users liked this post:
Jag#4 (10-16-2013)
Old 10-16-2013, 05:25 PM
Received 63 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by Krajcok

Then I put magnaflow 200 cpsi converters but the difference is subtle, if any.
XENOPHOBE installed Nameless Performance Cats and he swears by them (across several threads nonetheless ). He says his NP Cats let more exhaust air/sound through, therefore positively affecting exhaust sound and performance. You're saying that Magnaflow, which are specked out at 200 cpsi as well, barely have any affect on either. Care to elaborate on your observation?

Old 10-16-2013, 11:08 PM
Veteran Member

XENOPHOBE installed Nameless Performance Cats and he swears by them (across several threads nonetheless ). He says his NP Cats let more exhaust air/sound through, therefore positively affecting exhaust sound and performance. You're saying that Magnaflow, which are specked out at 200 cpsi as well, barely have any affect on either. Care to elaborate on your observation?
Everyone who has them is mostly in agreement. The factory OEM cats are the single most restrictive sound dampeners in the whole system. They're horribly designed and very heavy. It's like a huge sound baffle that happens to have a catalyst core, IMO.

I have the NP cats, and while the product itself is great, a number of people aren't happy with their business dealings with them, and neither am I. There may be other alternatives out there that I'm not familiar with.

Old 10-17-2013, 04:45 PM

Have a look at this thread: https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...es-dyno-41275/

DevSpider, I think 'my' magnaflows and nameless cats are VERY comparable products. Come on guys, this product is not NASA tech, it's just well polished cat (magnaflow?) connected with 2 elbows and flanges. In real life you can add +/- 10HP using them. So our butt dyno can not tell the difference in 400bhp car, it's just 2-3% gain.

Xenophobe, the design of a stock catalytic converters is not so bad. They are 400 cpsi, but their intersection area is quite big.

Last edited by Krajcok; 10-17-2013 at 04:47 PM.
Old 10-20-2013, 09:37 AM

The FedEx truck passed by yesterday, leaving a parcel with the Magnaflow X-pipe. Time permitting, it will go on the car at some point this week. Can't wait.

Last edited by DevSpider; 10-20-2013 at 09:39 AM. Reason: Fixed a spelling error
Old 10-20-2013, 10:32 PM
Default A new video clip - driving away from the camera - heavy throttle. Vroom Vroom Vroom

Another video of me applying heavy throttle while the car is stationary and then pulling away. The more I drive this thing with the new exhaust setup, the more I enjoy all the right sounds that it makes.

Jeff in Tucson (10-22-2013)
Old 10-20-2013, 10:45 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,342 Likes on 725 Posts

Awesome! It didn't lose any gloriousness after installing the X-pipe! So, what's the purpose of the X-pipe? How much was the X-pipe?

Old 10-20-2013, 10:54 PM

Originally Posted by giandanielxk8
Awesome! It didn't lose any gloriousness after installing the X-pipe! So, what's the purpose of the X-pipe? How much was the X-pipe?
LOL, When I started the thread a week ago, someone asked me to make a video of the car pulling away. I only got to it today, and so it's online now. I have yet to install the X-Pipe. Most likely I will get it done on Friday. Anyways, the previous clip is the original setup - without the X-Pipe. After I install the X-pipe, I will make another video to see if X-Pipe makes a difference in the sound.
The X-Pipe is cheap - under $100 + 45 mins to an hour for labor.

Old 10-21-2013, 01:35 PM
Veteran Member

Oh, alrighty then. I thought that was with the x-pipe. I'm looking forward to hear the difference. I hope it still sounds this good. Again, what's the purpose of the x-pipe? Do you hear a droning sound when driving in the highway? Is it too loud?

Old 10-21-2013, 02:34 PM
Default Does one really need an X-Pipe in their exhaust system

Originally Posted by giandanielxk8
Oh, alrighty then. I thought that was with the x-pipe. I'm looking forward to hear the difference. I hope it still sounds this good. Again, what's the purpose of the x-pipe? Do you hear a droning sound when driving in the highway? Is it too loud?
On the first page of this thread H20Boy generously offers an explanation of X-Pipe affect on an exhaust system. Here's what it says:
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/a...ideo-x-ppe-jpg
The guy who set up my system says that the X-pipe will not affect the sounds all that much, but will improve the car's performance. I am willing to give it a try, since this is not an expensive MOD. As far as the current sound that the car makes, in short, I love it. It is exactly what I wanted. Now the car not only looks fast, it also sounds fast and powerful. There is no drone at all, unless by the drone, people are referring to the louder exhaust. Is it loud, yes it is. Is it too loud? I don't think so. Just the other day I was listening to the exhaust of Maserati's and Aston Martins (DB9) on YouTube and I must say that my car does not sound any worse than those cars (in stock form). Granted, if one spends 4K on an exhaust system, it may offer an even more exotic sound (snarl like growling), but for my investment I am rather content with the results.
Btw, here is what magnaflow X-Pipe looks like for our cars:
Google Image Result for http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/413wdHl3OML._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Old 10-21-2013, 03:20 PM
Veteran Member

Xenophobe, the design of a stock catalytic converters is not so bad. They are 400 cpsi, but their intersection area is quite big.
I disagree. It's two cast iron parts sandwiching an oval piece of sheet metal with a very inefficient 90 degree bend in it. While I'm sure it works efficiently as a catalytic converter, there is nothing streamlined or optimized about it for performance. They also sound horrible on their own.

I'm also certain they were designed only to help reduce the exhaust note. Performance, in their design, does not seem to be a concern. A few people have done before/after dynos and seem to be getting anywhere from 10-30rwhp from replacing them. So, replacing your cats aren't just for aesthetics, it's also a decent performance enhancement.

Old 10-21-2013, 08:55 PM
Veteran Member

Wish list:
Magnaflow rear mufflers
Removal of the other three mufflers
Magnaflow X-Pipe
Better Cat
New paint
New wheels
and $$$

I should stray away from these threads, they can make me a bit green.

Old 10-22-2013, 09:09 AM
Received 217 Likes on 131 Posts

Very cool!

DevSpider (10-22-2013)
Old 10-23-2013, 01:07 AM

DevSpider, what kind of rims do you have on your car? They are similar to Sepangs, but rears have deep dish unlike factory 20" BBS.

Old 10-23-2013, 07:13 AM
Received 256 Likes on 176 Posts

I thought of some flow master thunder series 40 mufflers, or would some other be more appropriate? Found out the upgrade can be good for the engine and increase power.

The stock exhaust is very restrictive on the XK8/XKR where it bends over the axle, its almost crushed flat ! !

Old 10-23-2013, 08:34 AM

DevSpider, what kind of rims do you have on your car? They are similar to Sepangs, but rears have deep dish unlike factory 20" BBS.
The wheels are made especially for Jaguar cars. They're called Coventry Whitley and are 20" in diameter. The fronts are 8.5" and the rears are 10.0". I must say that the install greatly enhanced the overall look of the car.
Here is the link to the thread that I posted on the wheels:
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...r-pics-102767/

Last edited by DevSpider; 10-23-2013 at 08:39 AM. Reason: Added info
Old 10-23-2013, 11:36 AM

Originally Posted by aode06
I thought of some flow master thunder series 40 mufflers, or would some other be more appropriate? Found out the upgrade can be good for the engine and increase power.

The stock exhaust is very restrictive on the XK8/XKR where it bends over the axle, its almost crushed flat ! !
I am not sure about the details of the flow master product line, but I am positive that if you get one from their performance line, it will achieve similar results as magnaflow model that I installed on my car. Also, you're correct about positive effect on the performance. I must admit though, that it was not more power that I was seeking from the upgrade, but more of a growl in the exhaust note.

Old 10-25-2013, 12:10 PM
Default Update: X-Pipe Install

TGIF... Just returned from the mechanic. Alas, the X-Pipe is now installed on my car. It's bittersweet - the rawness of the exhaust note is gone; replaced by more polished, more tuned, or, I should say restrained sound of a true luxury GT. My impulsive side wants the Xpipe to become an X-memory, as I got quite accustomed to ferociousness of the exhaust sound sans the Xpipe. My neighbors, passers-by and pedestrians can now carry on the monotony of their business, commute - without the distraction of knowing that a Jaguar XKR has forced itself into their space. Ok, ok… it’s actually not as bad as I am making it sound. Where the cat lost its mojo in the G R O W L, it has made up in power. The XKR is no slouch to begin with. Now it “exhales” more evenly and sprints beyond the freeway legal speed with more authority; less aggression. It still makes all the right sounds, just less of them. Am I keeping the X-pipe? An honest answer is - I don’t know just yet. I will give it a week or two to see if I yearn for the sound of an untamed animal or become content with the car’s new, softer side.
Below is a Pic of the X-Pipe installed - It's amazing that a little hollow metal box completely alters the sound of the exhaust.

Attached Thumbnails The CAT sounds angry - pics and video-2005-jag-xkr-xpipe-install.jpg  
Old 10-25-2013, 02:41 PM
Veteran Member

Can we have a video of the new sound, Dev? I just want to know how different it is.

Quick Reply: The CAT sounds angry - pics and video