Originally Posted by giandanielxk8
Haha, ok.

This mod is definitely on my todo list.
+1!

Old 10-13-2013, 08:53 AM
Veteran Member
Received 677 Likes on 551 Posts

Originally Posted by DevSpider
I must say, however, at prolonged freeway speed, it does get a bit too loud. It would be great to install an electronic valve controlled exhaust - with a flip of a switch you can make it quite or loud.
This is not my daily driver. Driving the car every day with my exhaust would be a bit overwhelming. I am enjoying the sound and the attention for now.
So does anyone who has modified their exhaust have audio of what it sounds like inside the car? At idle and at speed?

I want to do something subtle, but I keep reading about the compromises made to the interior sounds. Phrases like rattle, drone, and now overwhelming keep popping up in these threads.

A little more of a GT sound would be nice, but not at the expense of interior comfort and the ability to enjoy a conversation at speed. I get enough grief from SWMBO already when the top goes down.

Old 10-13-2013, 03:42 PM
Veteran Member
Received 133 Likes on 107 Posts

I read your posts as well and saw your video too. I like your sound a lot. This is why I wanted Borla for my set up, but was talked out of it by the mechanic. Actually, I was looking for Borla rear mufflers, but couldn't find the right setup. I'm curious how your car would sound with Borla in center, followed by straight pipes - without Mina boxes.
In a way I felt bad removing the OEM mufflers as they look almost new. I'm keeping them just in case.
It would probably be way too loud without the mina rears.

Originally Posted by Jag#4
So does anyone who has modified their exhaust have audio of what it sounds like inside the car? At idle and at speed?
This is with the top down... and I really need to redo these vids, since doing them, the fill has sooted and is louder now.

I'll try to record a video clip with higher revs within the next few days. I must say, however, at prolonged freeway speed, it does get a bit too loud. It would be great to install an electronic valve controlled exhaust - with a flip of a switch you can make it quite or loud.
This is not my daily driver. Driving the car every day with my exhaust would be a bit overwhelming. I am enjoying the sound and the attention for now.
With my setup, noise at freeway speed isn't bad at all. It's nice and quiet unless I give it moderate throttle. If I drive like an old lady, the cat is tame. lol

Last edited by xenophobe; 10-13-2013 at 03:46 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by xenophobe:
Jag#4 (10-13-2013), User 070620 (03-07-2014)
Old 10-13-2013, 03:55 PM
Received 44 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by xenophobe

This is with the top down... and I really need to redo these vids, since doing them, the fill has sooted and is louder now.

VID_20120528_171915.mp4 - YouTube

With my setup, noise at freeway speed isn't bad at all. It's nice and quiet unless I give it moderate throttle. If I drive like an old lady, the cat is tame. lol

Hard to do precisely as start is difficult to judge, but reckon that was around 5.4 secs 0-60. Great sound..!

Last edited by Redeye; 10-13-2013 at 03:59 PM.
Old 10-13-2013, 07:03 PM
Received 63 Likes on 44 Posts
Default I took it to 90 mph

Some of you asked, so I did it - I made a short video clip of me pulling away from my house and then jumping on to the freeway for one exit. Sorry about the video/audio quality, but it's hard to accelerate to 90+ mph and hold a camera in hand . I had the camera focused on the speedometer. Upon reviewing the video, I must say that the audio is extremely deceiving. You can hardly hear the actual exhaust - more road noise and the wind. In reality, however, the exhaust note is GRAND. I can hear it while behind the wheel and it is loud. It's possible that my HD camera thinks that the exhaust noise is background noise and cancels a lot of it out. Anyway, I will try to take a video from outside - me driving away. I think that it would be a better indicator of how loud it really is.

The following users liked this post:
pitifulpluto (10-13-2013)
Old 10-13-2013, 07:09 PM

Originally Posted by xenophobe
Do you mind giving me the part number for your Borla Center muffler?

Old 10-13-2013, 07:17 PM
Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts

Some of you asked, so I did it - I made a short video clip of me pulling away from my house and then jumping on to the freeway for one exit. Sorry about the video/audio quality, but it's hard to accelerate to 90+ mph and hold a camera in hand . I had the camera focused on the speedometer. Upon reviewing the video, I must say that the audio is extremely deceiving. You can hardly hear the actual exhaust - more road noise and the wind. In reality, however, the exhaust note is GRAND. I can hear it while behind the wheel and it is loud. It's possible that my HD camera thinks that the exhaust noise is background noise and cancels a lot of it out. Anyway, I will try to take a video from outside - me driving away. I think that it would be a better indicator of how loud it really is.

Jaguar XKR at 90 MPH Sports Exhaust - YouTube

No other way to say it than HOLYCRAP!!! If that is so much better in person as you say then I think you have found perfection!

I am seriously giving this some thought.
Where you able to find a set of midpipes that are pre-bent?
That is the only thing that would stop me from going through with this.

Thank you so much for making this thread, I myself always thought the exhaust was bleak on these cars but most aftermarket exhaust cost a fortune.

DevSpider (10-13-2013)
Old 10-13-2013, 07:23 PM
Veteran Member
Received 256 Likes on 196 Posts

I don't think Borla still make a system for the XKR. The last time I enquired they did not.

Old 10-13-2013, 07:34 PM
Default Pipes are custom made

Originally Posted by pitifulpluto
No other way to say it than HOLYCRAP!!! If that is so much better in person as you say then I think you have found perfection!

I am seriously giving this some thought.
Where you able to find a set of midpipes that are pre-bent?
That is the only thing that would stop me from going through with this.

Thank you so much for making this thread, I myself always thought the exhaust was bleak on these cars but most aftermarket exhaust cost a fortune.
The pipes were made for me on the spot. If you find a performance muffler shop near your area, they can custom bend the pipes to fit your application. That's what I did.

Old 10-13-2013, 07:40 PM
Default Borla 2-in 2-out Center muffler

Originally Posted by JgaXkr
I don't think Borla still make a system for the XKR. The last time I enquired they did not.
Same here - I also inquired and was told that Borla does not make the rear boxes. I am asking about the CENTER muffler that Xenophobe is using. Chances are he used a Universal 2-in 2-out Borla muffler. If that is the case I want to know the model number of that unit.

Old 10-15-2013, 10:09 AM
Received 134 Likes on 102 Posts

If you don't mind me asking, what was the cost of your setup with an X pipe? An X pipe will help alleviate any drone.

Old 10-15-2013, 11:13 AM
Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

DevSpider , your car sounds sweet! But it doesn't like flooring on cold engine

I have similar setup in my car but I have X-pipe as well

Do you fell any resonation of exhaust pipes (I can fell some in 1500-1700 rpm range)?

Old 10-15-2013, 01:25 PM

Krajcok, you're right about the car having a mind of it's own. When the engine is below it's regular operating temperature, the car refuses to kick butt. However, at about 70mph, once I "put my foot down", it got on its way quite nicely. Next time, before filming, I will make sure that the engine is warm enough.
As far as I can tell, there's just a bit of unwanted resonance at about 1,700 RPM, but ONLY when the engine is cold. It goes away after a few minutes of driving.
I already ordered the Magnaflow X-Pipe and will be installing it at some point next week.
Btw, you're ride sounds good!

Old 10-15-2013, 01:31 PM
Default X-Pipe

Originally Posted by R_Rated
If you don't mind me asking, what was the cost of your setup with an X pipe? An X pipe will help alleviate any drone.
Here is where I ordered the X-pipe:
Magnaflow X Pipes - Best Price on Magnaflow Tru-X Pipes for Exhaust Systems - 38+ Reviews
As far as the install, figure about 45-60 minutes for a professional install.

Old 10-16-2013, 05:24 AM
Veteran Member
Received 133 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by Redeye
Hard to do precisely as start is difficult to judge, but reckon that was around 5.4 secs 0-60. Great sound..!
It would have been faster if I had remembered to turn off traction control. You can hear my throttle die in the beginning of the takeoff.

Pro XS Dual In / Dual Out 2.25". Not sure if mine was notched, but I don't think so. It has a built in x-pipe, at least it was advertised like that in 2011. In 2012, there's no mention of the internal x-pipe or diagram, but this is a page from the 2013 Catalog showing the internal structure. I don't drive my car anymore, my exhaust note tells me how to drive. I think the Borla is playing as much of a role as my NP cats. The difference between having this or the OEM center is like night and day without exaggeration.

Attached Thumbnails The CAT sounds angry - pics and video-oh9a.jpg  

Last edited by xenophobe; 10-16-2013 at 05:32 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by xenophobe:
DevSpider (10-16-2013), User 070620 (03-07-2014)
Old 10-16-2013, 08:52 AM

Xenophobe, your Borla looks like its a muffler and an X-Pipe all in one. At this point if I was to install the same model unit into my car, it (IMO) would suppress the exhaust note way too much. But in your setup it works really well. As I mentioned in an earlier thread, I liked your car's exhaust note the most from watching hundreds of clips. It's a perfect combination between being aggressive enough to enjoy and passive enough not to wake up the neighbors in the wee hours.

Old 10-16-2013, 08:53 AM
Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Jag#4
My cat at full throttle. Sorry for poor video quality.

Jag#4 (10-16-2013)
Old 10-16-2013, 09:55 AM
Received 256 Likes on 176 Posts

Nice!! Nice!!

Im pleased with your results, because Im doing a gear change , exhaust, and cold air intake on my kitty soon.

I do like the silent sneaky approach lol and just past by some one lol silently , but that sounds nice, one more reason for me to drive fast lol/

Only one thing, stock exhaust is stainless and last a long time, muffler shops use aluminum that does not.

I highly rec a high temp coating or paint to eliminate rust, or pay the extra for stainless steel piping instead of needing it fixed every few years.

Last edited by aode06; 10-16-2013 at 09:58 AM.
Old 10-16-2013, 10:55 AM

Originally Posted by krajcok
my cat at full throttle. Sorry for poor video quality.

jaguar xkr 4.0 0-200 kph acceleration - youtube
v e r y n i c e ! ! !

Old 10-16-2013, 12:43 PM
Veteran Member
Received 677 Likes on 551 Posts

Krajcok,

I didn't see you in the earlier threads. What mods have you done to the exhaust system?

Quick Reply: The CAT sounds angry - pics and video