XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

center brake light mountings in a coupe

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2016, 10:03 AM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default center brake light mountings in a coupe

hi everybody, this is my first post here so hope you can help.

i am restoring two XK8 coupe's, a 1996 and a 1999.

i have read some of the help tips to do some jobs which could be of considerable help to me, however, there is one job on both cars that has caused me to stop in my tracks as it were, the center brake lamps fitted to the rear window.

having purchased the lamps, i now find that i require a new rear window to attach the lamp to because like the lamps, the two little "t" pieces that should be attached to the glass have also disintegrated from "UV" rays and are supplied already on the rear window but are not available separately.

if anyone has a source for these parts or a broken rear coupe glass they could be removed from, it would be helpful.

Old 02-16-2016, 12:43 PM
Veteran Member
Received 375 Likes on 309 Posts

I'm in the same boat. My 3rd brake light is askew.

I haven't been in the back seat yet to figure out a solution.

It's on my list.

Old 02-16-2016, 01:43 PM
Received 158 Likes on 113 Posts

+1 on the list for my 98 coupe.

Old 03-29-2016, 05:38 PM
Received 139 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by john hennessy
hi everybody, this is my first post here so hope you can help.

i am restoring two XK8 coupe's, a 1996 and a 1999.

i have read some of the help tips to do some jobs which could be of considerable help to me,.....
John, how is the housing attached to the parcel shelf? Mine is not attached at all. It moves all over.

Old 03-29-2016, 06:16 PM
Received 323 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by cyber3d
Mine is not attached at all. It moves all over.
A bit of double sided foam mounting tape worked for me.

Old 03-29-2016, 06:52 PM
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

its not attached to the parcel shelf, its attached or should be attached to the rear window on two metal pieces glued to the window in the factory.
these parts are not available without the complete rear window.
they are I section metal pieces, the top flange of which is glued to the window, the lamp then slides on to the bottom flange.
if you remove your center lamp, there is a sort of metal spring clip at each end and if you are very lucky, the parts that should be attached to the window will be in the spring clips.
if however they aren't there then you will have to fabricate some from suitable aluminum extrusion and re-glue them to the window, or find a broken rear glass to steal them off.
to be honest, this lamp assembly is a piece of excrement and totally unsuitable for the job, i purchased two completely new rear center brake lamps from jaguar and they barely fit with the cover which if you are lucky will fit on the light sort of!
they really are as badly made as the cup holders are, yes i fitted two of those only to find that the catch is useless and they won't stay shut.
i will be fabricating a pair of new arm rest lids incorporating a fixed pair of cup holders over the top of the little flap where the cigar lighter is which will be moved into the arm rest pocket to power my cell phone which also resides in there.
when i come up with a viable replacement for the center brake light, these will also be replaced.
i know these parts will be "non standard" but at least they will function not just sit there waiting to break.

The following users liked this post:
D. Fite (05-17-2016)
Old 03-30-2016, 02:53 AM
GGG
Received 16,799 Likes on 12,168 Posts

Originally Posted by john hennessy
hi everybody, this is my first post here so hope you can help.........
Welcome to the forum John,

It looks like you've signed up twice. First time in January to post this thread with a space in you name and again today with no space when posting a reply?

Please follow this link New Member Area - Intro a MUST - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum to the New Member Area - Intro a MUST forum and post some info about yourself and your vehicle for all members to see. In return you'll get a proper welcome and some useful advice about posting to the forum.

Graham