XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

changing rear brake pads

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2012, 11:09 AM
Received 109 Likes on 87 Posts
Angry changing rear brake pads

Just put new rear pads on my wife's 2000 XK8; very easy except had to run to Sears for set of Allen sockets (7mm is required) and spring came off easily BUT putting it back on was a bitch for me.
So what's the secret for replacing those springs ? I finished up using a needle nosed vice grip, wasted 30 mins on each! At 77 yrs old I don't seem to have enough strength!
If I have to do the fronts some time maybe I should ask younger neighbor to put them on for me!
Any trick to help would be appreciated.
Incidently used a vacuum pump on open brake bleeder while backing the piston.
That spring is a bloody nuisance; in 50 yrs have never run into one of those before.
Hope my 2007 XK not the same daft design.

Thanks, Adrian

Old 12-13-2012, 11:39 AM
Received 208 Likes on 151 Posts

Yeah, those springs are a bitch even for us younger folks and if you don't or haven't done them a bunch to get practice it seems worse.

The 07 rears are a little trickier with the spring.

Old 12-13-2012, 02:48 PM
Received 280 Likes on 176 Posts

I just changed all four including rotors on Saturday. Didn't have a problem. Took the springs out with a screwdriver (using it as a lever against the caliper). Rear ones were a little harder to put back than the front ones. Used the visegrip, ligned up the straight prongs, tapped them in the holes with a small hammer, and using the screwdriver as the lever, positioned them under the caliper. My biggest problem was to dislodge the rotors. Ended up heating them with the torch, and breaking them loose with the hammer. The rear ones were tougher because of the parking brake, but all together pretty straight forward brake job.
Two and a half hours from start to finish.

The best thing,.....a complete brake job was about 270 bucks including rotors, and my labor. I was so much in the mood that day, that I went and changed the front pads and rotors on my wife's S class Benz (rears are at 80%, no need to change). The dealer (MBZ) quoted $475.- for the front, IF it doesn't need rotors (I knew it needs it). Quoted $675.- per rotor if needed! Got the rotors for $60.- a piece, and pads for $55.-
Total $175.- plus one hour of my labor.

There is a machine shop here in SoCal that manufactures zinc plated rotors for ANY make to OEM specs (except I went with the slotted and cross drilled instead of OEM). Brakes feel awesome, and for about $450.- I got two cars done in less than four hours.

Old 12-13-2012, 03:01 PM
GGG
Received 16,768 Likes on 12,155 Posts

Originally Posted by britannia
...............Hope my 2007 XK not the same daft design.............
Adrian,

Call the neighbour! This is the 2007 XK Rear Brake:

changing rear brake pads-xk-rear-brake.jpg

Item 12 is a very similar spring.

Graham

Old 12-13-2012, 07:55 PM
Received 117 Likes on 54 Posts

I put out a guide with pics on changing brakes/rotors

Old 12-13-2012, 08:08 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

danielsand, nice job, I just paid about $650.00. to have the front brake and rotors done at a dealer in Rancho Mirage.
Are you connected with Disneyland? Just guessing by your screen name. I'm a retired 20 year studio vet.

Old 12-14-2012, 12:48 AM
Received 109 Likes on 87 Posts

Thanks Gentlemen; next time will try putting both ends in holes, I had tried starting with one hole only!
Next project will be the XK Coupe and thank you Graham it indeed looks the same as the XK8! Shoot!
Olde English saying: "Give an Englishman a piece of metal and he will do something stupid with it!" As a Brit it's OK for me to say that!!
Finally already got a neighbor to agree to help me; he's 7 years younger and in better health.

Thanks again, Adrian

Old 12-14-2012, 10:23 AM
Received 280 Likes on 176 Posts

Originally Posted by XKCoupe
danielsand, nice job, I just paid about $650.00. to have the front brake and rotors done at a dealer in Rancho Mirage.
Are you connected with Disneyland? Just guessing by your screen name. I'm a retired 20 year studio vet.

No David, no affiliation with Disneyland. "Sand" is just a variation of my last name. I live very close to you actually,.....my step daughter goes to school in LaQuinta.

$650.- for the front, huh? Not bad if you compare it to MBZ quote. There are repairs/maintenance on the cars that require special tools/equippment, and for that, one doesn't have a choice but to go to the dealer or specialized Indy. Fortunatelly, brakes, exhaust, electrical, suspension, and such is all DIY. I used to own two dealerships (before I got into gasoline retail/carwashing), and once you learn how much margin there is on some of these services, you (meaning ME!) can not justify paying these prices no matter what, once you become a "civilian".

Some guys like to watch sports, and drink beer for relaxation,.....I work on my cars and motorcycles (when needed), and drink Scotch. I never had any mechanical training, but I've been wrenching on the bikes and cars since the late sixties. 20+ years in the military, and a Law School graduate, nothing to do with mechanics,......I just like taking things appart, and putting them back together (guns, cars, watches, motorcycles, airplanes).

My apology to the OP for going off the track in your thread.

Old 12-14-2012, 07:16 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

danielsand I stopped working on cars in the 60s although I did as much maintenance as allowed on my Cessna T210N until I sold it two years ago.