XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cleaned wheel sensors, soldered ABS module. Still has ABS, Traction unavailable :(

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2011, 01:07 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Cleaned wheel sensors, soldered ABS module. Still has ABS, Traction unavailable :(

1997 XK8 here.

I've cleaned all 4 wheel sensors with alcohol cleaner and CRC di-electric spray.
I've also saw off the abs module, the PCB looked fine to me.
The PCB still had a clear gel coating on top of all circuits, but I re-soldered the 2 ground points anyway just incase.

However, I am still getting traction unavailable and ABS light.

Should I send the ABS module to modulemaster.com or the like?
Open to more ideas.

Last edited by GGG; 09-29-2021 at 05:39 AM.
Old 09-28-2011, 01:15 PM
Received 70 Likes on 62 Posts

I did the same steps, but my ABS/TCM module wasn't recognized (on the dash) as being installed. I sent the module to Automotive Scientific in Rogersville, TN last week, and they said my module was fried.

They've got a source for Jag modules, and are giving me a lifetime warranty. They said they see a bunch of Jag modules of all kinds.

Old 09-28-2011, 02:01 PM

Bamaman,
What did your dash display to indicated not recognized ABS module?
Also, how much did the new module cost?
Thanks.

Old 09-28-2011, 02:06 PM
Veteran Member
Received 443 Likes on 314 Posts

Originally Posted by JagYi
1997 XK8 here.

I've cleaned all 4 wheel sensors with alcohol cleaner and CRC di-electric spray.
I've also saw off the abs module, the PCB looked fine to me.
The PCB still had a clear gel coating on top of all circuits, but I re-soldered the 2 ground points anyway just incase.

However, I am still getting traction unavailable and ABS light.

Should I send the ABS module to modulemaster.com or the like?
Open to more ideas.
Have you also done the resistance checks to the sensors? If not, worth a shot before sending out the box, IMO.

The following users liked this post:
JagYi (09-28-2011)
Old 09-28-2011, 02:38 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,062 Likes on 759 Posts

Might want to read out the actual code you are getting before sending it of, or if you have what are these now?

The following 2 users liked this post by avos:
Brutal (09-28-2011), JagYi (09-28-2011)
Old 09-28-2011, 03:03 PM
Received 2,183 Likes on 1,355 Posts

And of course andre and i are on the same page. You dont even know why the light is on and what "c" chassis codes are stored. You caould have a bad sensor, and bad sensor link lead(common issue also) or any number of "other" system faults. Find someone that has a scanner and can pull the chassis codes. Obd2 gnerics like at autoparts stores wont do. Youll need someone that has paid a couple to a few 1000 for a good scanner and all the correct manufacturer software. So keep that in mind when thay ask for a $100+ diag fee or go to a jag dealer with a case of beer

JagYi (09-28-2011)
Old 09-28-2011, 03:48 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,257 Likes on 563 Posts

Do you have an Android phone? If so, buy a $50 bluetooth OBDII scanner and download an app called Torque. It reads the ABS codes.

The following 4 users liked this post by Reverend Sam:
Brutal (09-28-2011), JagYi (09-28-2011), oldjaglover (08-24-2021), piper 888 (08-26-2021)
Old 09-28-2011, 03:59 PM
Received 70 Likes on 62 Posts

JagYI:

I'll PM you.

The guy @ Automotive Scientific said they rebuild Jag modules all the time. When I mentioned that my daily driver were Lexus', he said he cannot remember ever rebuilding an ABS module on any Lexus product. He's seen a few ECU's, however. I guess some companies use better components than others.

Jaguars were just a little ahead of their time in electronics. Too bad they didn't have time for their subcontactors to get the bugs out of their modules. What's worse is that no new, upgraded ABS modules were ever available at a fair price--and they continue to run owners' crazy.

Last edited by Bamaman; 09-28-2011 at 04:19 PM.
JagYi (09-28-2011)
Old 09-28-2011, 04:01 PM

Originally Posted by reverend sam
do you have an android phone? If so, buy a $50 bluetooth obdii scanner and download an app called torque. It reads the abs codes.
where do you guys come up with this stuff. Ide like that too but no android phone. Does it work on all manufacturers and other codes like restraints?

Old 09-28-2011, 04:20 PM

I checked over the OBDII Code Scanners ** Member Approved ** page and decided to buy the approved CP9125. It was available at autozone near by. The dealer is a farther away. I figure the reader will be helpful in the future.

It read back P1000(normal) and P1643.

I erased the codes, drove the car for 15 seconds, the "abs and traction not available" went away.
However, after 20 seconds or so, the abs and traction not available lights came back on.

What do you all think? Does P1643 mean something bad?

Old 09-28-2011, 04:41 PM

P1643 is can network message missing between trans control module and engine control module. This puts the car in limp home mode. Youre not in limp mode are you? No cruise, throttle limited to 30%. 4th gear starts....the abs codes youre looking for a "c" codes (chassis) not "p" codes (power train)

Old 09-28-2011, 04:44 PM

Hmmm i dont see where it says it will do other systems and codes other than obdii

Old 09-28-2011, 04:52 PM
Gus
Veteran Member
Received 2,207 Likes on 1,700 Posts

Originally Posted by Brutal
where do you guys come up with this stuff. Ide like that too but no android phone. Does it work on all manufacturers and other codes like restraints?
This is a link to PLX PLX Kiwi Bluetooth - Connect your Android device to your car's OBD2 OBDII Port.

Old 09-28-2011, 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by Brutal
P1643 is can network message missing between trans control module and engine control module. This puts the car in limp home mode. Youre not in limp mode are you? No cruise, throttle limited to 30%. 4th gear starts....the abs codes youre looking for a "c" codes (chassis) not "p" codes (power train)
No, it's not in limp mode. I can go full throttle and all.
Here is the sequence.
- key to on position, no ODO messages at all, only abs light and engine light.
- plug in reader, starts reading, ODO somehow gets triggered and displays the following:
TRACTION NOT AVAILABLE
TRANSMISSION FAULT
- reader displays P1000 + P1643
- I can start the car and everything runs fine. Only TRACTION NOT AVAILABLE and ABS light is on. TRANSMISSION FAULT is off.

-----------------------------

- If I have the car running and read the codes, then it display some more codes. It's not valid, correct?

Old 09-28-2011, 05:01 PM

Gus,
Thanks for your repair page. I checked out the ABS section and couple others yesterday. It's a life saver! +1 for the shaky mirror fix!

I also did use CRC cleaner on the sensors. Just this stubborn ABS/TRACTION light wont go away...

The P1643 code seems to be unrelated to the ABS issue according the Brutal. The car functions normally.

Old 09-28-2011, 05:07 PM
Gus
Veteran Member
Received 2,207 Likes on 1,700 Posts

You went from ABS to transmission and back. I have an ABS work sheet on my page that should help. http://www.jagrepair.com/ABSModuleRepairs.htm As for the cleaning of the connectors use a contact cleaner CRC makes a good one. Your P01643, clear it and see if it comes back. This should help with any additional codes you come up with. http://www.jagrepair.com/images/Auto...%201997-99.pdf

Originally Posted by JagYi
I checked over the OBDII Code Scanners ** Member Approved ** page and decided to buy the approved CP9125. It was available at autozone near by. The dealer is a farther away. I figure the reader will be helpful in the future.

It read back P1000(normal) and P1643.

I erased the codes, drove the car for 15 seconds, the "abs and traction not available" went away.
However, after 20 seconds or so, the abs and traction not available lights came back on.

What do you all think? Does P1643 mean something bad?

JagYi (09-28-2011)
Old 09-28-2011, 07:53 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,638 Likes on 1,066 Posts

Originally Posted by Reverend Sam
Do you have an Android phone? If so, buy a $50 bluetooth OBDII scanner and download an app called Torque. It reads the ABS codes.
Rev, do tell! I have Torque/Droid and no joy on C-codes. Is there a special incantation to chant or something? To be fair, I haven't tried since the last several updates, but about 3 or 4 updates ago, the one that said, "including Ford Powerstrokes" in the notations, I hooked it up and confirmed that it would still shutdown the powerstroke if you perform a scan whilst running and that it wouldn't clear a glow-plug code. Otherwise a good piece of gear. Tell me how to get C-codes out of it?

On my XJ6, transmission temp is simply coolant temp with a half-second delay...do you get something different?

Old 09-28-2011, 09:00 PM

p1643 is a can failure, see Gus's 2nd link page 30, last code. This is the same book I use for code descriptions. Now if you look alittle higher on that page youll se code p1637 can failure in abs. Here's a little tip I tell techs. If all the modules have an issue with the network communication but 1 module doesnt, who do you think has the problem? Yes the one who doesnt see a problem because he IS the problem. The can netwrok is the communication network between all the modules. If it goes down, eith open, cross short, short to power ground etc youre gonna have issue. Many modules need to get info fromt he ABS module. Trans for shifting, and road speed. ecu for fueling and spark, adaptive dampning etc..... the ABD sends out the cars road speed from the wheel spd sensors.. MAny modules need that info. and since you now say the I pack says trans fault, that is the issue pertaining to the p1643. the problem is there have got to be more codes youre not able to pull cause you can only srr P codes. Most of the ABS module codes are C codes for chassis. At this point in the game you REALLY need all codes in all modules. Past that its alot of wasted time guessing. Now past that and no further info. I would unhook all CAN connections and modules and check and clean all the can netwrok pins. This should also incudes a pin drag test to check for loose pins that cause alot of intermittent problems. This involves useing a male pin that is the correct male pin to the female connector pin. You insert and it had better drag when put in and out. I have found loose female pins over the years that cause alot of issue. Now past that, the unhooking of connections does CLEAN unseen corrosion and many times reestablishes a good connection. Think of the side marker light out on the fender and you hit the light to shake it and it comes back on since the HIT cleaned and reestablished the connection. youre just against a wall becuase you dont have enough info as in codes and communications to diagnos properly and quickly

The following 4 users liked this post by Brutal:
Bamaman (09-28-2011), JagYi (10-20-2011), Mountaincat (09-29-2011), The Coupe (09-29-2011)
Old 09-28-2011, 10:32 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,062 Likes on 759 Posts

Here is a QA I oufnd on Actron Pocket Scan Code Reader CP9125

i have abs and traction control disabled dummy lights. will this reader diagnose what the problem is or does it just work with the check engine light?
Asked on 11/18/2009 by phillyjods from harrisburg,pa
A:
This reader just works on the codes that are turning on the check engine light.

Answered on 11/24/2009 by Mike from Advance Auto Parts

Would double check with the manufacturer if this device can actually read ABS code (so starting with C, and not P). As Burtal said there are not many on the market that can do.

Nevertheless I agree it will be usefull in the futrue, everyone should have at least a device that can read the P codes (which almost all products can).

Last edited by avos; 09-28-2011 at 10:33 PM. Reason: typo
Old 09-29-2011, 06:28 PM
Veteran Member
Received 186 Likes on 161 Posts
Default Confused

Does the bluetooth adapter and Torque Pro Android app read the ABS (c-codes)? I have an Innovo 3130 that will read P-codes. I don't want to buy another if it can't read & clear c-codes.

Quick Reply: Cleaned wheel sensors, soldered ABS module. Still has ABS, Traction unavailable :(