XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clicking noise inside the car. Suggestions please?

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2017, 04:50 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Clicking noise inside the car. Suggestions please?

I have an audible clicking noise which sounds like it's coming from behind the panel at the side of the rear seat on the passenger side (RHD car, yr2000 XKR convertible.)
It sounds like a relay or solenoid rapidly clicking on and off, not all the time, but once it starts it's not related to movement or speed. I've had a look inside the panel and I can't see anything and I've also had a look in that side of the boot, still nothing obvious. Typically whilst I had all this stripped out it didn't do it once! It might be that it only happens when the doors have locked, because it doesn't seem to start until I'm moving, but once it's started it will do it regardless of whether I'm moving or not.
Any suggestions please as to what it might be, or how I might find it.

Chris

Old 11-29-2017, 08:10 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,808 Likes on 1,115 Posts

Chris, does ignition need to be on? Does engine need to be running? You mentioned only when car is moving, if so than answer is self evident. I am asking for clarification.

If yes to moving only I'd move from electrical to mechanical as possible source. It's not ignition noise through speaker right? Radio off = same noise?

Dies tie cd changer play? ( trying to think of things back there that could click click...] roof up down, same?
John

Old 11-29-2017, 02:59 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi
Thanks for your reply.
Yes the car has to be running, but not necessarily moving. CD player works fine and is on the opposite side of the car anyway, the roof doesn't seem to affect it either. It's definitely electrical, a relay or solenoid clicking the clicks are sometimes very fast but not tied to speed or bumps. I don't know whether it might start when the locks go on as you drive away?

Old 11-30-2017, 12:55 PM
Received 7,879 Likes on 4,763 Posts

There was a TSB for the later cars but you might check anyway.

bob

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
303-62am Ticking Noise.pdf (89.5 KB, 56 views)