XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Code Readers - Any Recomendation

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2013, 11:10 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Code Readers - Any Recomendation

I connected my innova code reader to my new Jag(2003 XK8) yesterday to try to read the air bag codes. It wouldnt do it and when I started the car with it coneccted the computer went berserk and was telling me diminished performance etc. I turned off the engine and pressed erase to clear the computer. I started it up ant it ran like **** and the check engine light was on. I didn't want to attach the reader again so I disconnected the battery for a while. Check engine light was still on so I attached the reader again with engine off and pressed erase. CK engine light went off but was really hard to start. I started it an let it run for a while. It started running better but still hard to start. I got home from work tonight And started it.........I had to crank for a long time before it fired up. turned off and started again, after about the third start it began starting and running normally. too much snow to get on the open road with it. So WTF did i do????? Can anyone recommend a reader that works well???? Would kinda like one that links to a lap top or Iphone but a regular hand held will be ok too.

Thanks in advance!!!!

Wojo

Old 12-11-2013, 03:00 AM
Veteran Member
Received 664 Likes on 572 Posts

Hi Wojo,
This link will take you to the member approved code readers.
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/g...-%2A%2A-33347/

You will need a pretty good system to read the B codes for the airbag. If you let us know what the flash code on the dash is, we may be able to narrow it down for you.

If I were you, I would invest in a CTEK battery smart charger. It will be the best money you ever spend in looking after your car.

Hope this helps,

Old 12-15-2013, 05:24 PM
Received 71 Likes on 60 Posts

I only know of 3 diagnostic systems that will read air bag faults, they are...SDD, IDS & the extension Jaguar pack for Autoenginuity. I use the jaguar software SDD software and genuine Mongoose OBD cable. To avoid a false deployment of the air bag system you can only use the Data Logger facility which I know is in IDS & SDD to start fault finding the SRS system. Myself & Graham (GGG) both went through a lengthy air bag fault on our XKR's that turned out to be identical failures. As was quoted above, try to establish the flash code on your cluster so we can help you start the fault finding process. Whatever you do...do not go poking around the SRS site with DVM.

Old 12-16-2013, 11:13 PM
Default Air Bag Fault and seat module programming

I went ahead and ordered the Autoenginuity code reader, when I verify that it works ok with my car I will order the Jag extension. From what I can tell the flash code is 2 and 2 which I am guessing means 22. It looks like that can be a number of things though.....what was your air bag issue and where do I start. Ever since I disconnected the battery its been cantankerous and hard starting and finally lit the check engine light. The weather has been crappy so I have only been able to drive it about 5 miles. I'm supposing I need to take it for a good drive........2 weeks ago I drove it 300 miles and all was great. My wife has been yelling at me for not being able to keep my hands off.

Also if I need a new seat module what needs to be programmed on it and can the Autoenginuity software do this???

Dale

Old 12-17-2013, 03:58 AM
Veteran Member

Hi Wojo,
Flash code 2-2 relates to drivers seat side airbag, a common problem that most of us have encountered.

Under the drivers seat you will find a small yellow plug, start there. Unclip it, clean the connections and reconnect. Be careful not to lose the small metal insert.

Generally the fault will lie with the connector in the back of the seat which connects to the airbag. To access you will have to peel up the leather seat cover,(see Rev Sam's how to video for that), then do the same as for the one under the seat.

You should be Ok after that unless you have a wiring fault.

Hope this helps,

Old 12-17-2013, 04:05 AM

Yes agreed....see attached501-55 SRS Flash Codes XK8-R.pdf.

I'm sure there is a thread on here somewhere of another owner who had this issue and it was the connection to the air bag in the seat.
Both suggestions here will lead you to your problem, the PID code from your diagnostic software should point you at it.
Review the attached document and this will get you started.....had a laugh at your last thread...A sick CAT is hard to put down, even to the expense of driving her in doors up the wall !!!!
My Air bag fault was code 17 and not similar to your issue.
What is the issue with the seat controller ?501-55 SRS Flash Codes XK8-R.pdf

Old 12-17-2013, 10:27 AM
Default Seat Module

The problem with the seat module is that it reclines but won't return to the up right position. I took it apart and it looks like something was spilled on it and you can definitely see deterioration in the circuits at the very front of the module (opposite of the plugs). By the way thanks for all the replies, you guys are great......

Old 12-17-2013, 11:05 AM
Veteran Member

Wojo,
If the circuit board tracks are damaged they can be repaired by soldering in a jumper wire. There is a thread on here somewhere that shows the exact repair.

Old 12-17-2013, 04:11 PM

Hmmmm....you'll do well to repair the circuit board, if it's as bad as you write the tracks have most likely shorted and popped one of the IC's. All is not lost....have a look on flea bay by punching in the part number, my self and Graham both obtained second hand parts to repair our SRS faults, unfortunately XK's do end up in breakers yards and we get to keep ours pride and joy's on the road. A word of warning on the air bag hunt....make sure you disconnect the negative pole on the battery and DO NOT unplug anything for at least 10 mins, you must allow the discharge capacitor that feeds the igniters to drain out. The cost to you if you don't do this could be a whole new interior and all the modules that go with it.
I had a cuppa in between every disconnection and had no issues.
Keep us posted and any thing that crops up....just get back on here & we're here to help.
TS

Old 12-17-2013, 09:26 PM
Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts
Exclamation

Originally Posted by wojo
I connected my innova code reader to my new Jag(2003 XK8) yesterday to try to read the air bag codes. It wouldnt do it and when I started the car with it coneccted the computer went berserk and was telling me diminished performance etc. I turned off the engine and pressed erase to clear the computer. I started it up ant it ran like **** and the check engine light was on. I didn't want to attach the reader again so I disconnected the battery for a while. Check engine light was still on so I attached the reader again with engine off and pressed erase. CK engine light went off but was really hard to start. I started it an let it run for a while. It started running better but still hard to start. I got home from work tonight And started it.........I had to crank for a long time before it fired up. turned off and started again, after about the third start it began starting and running normally. too much snow to get on the open road with it. So WTF did i do????? Can anyone recommend a reader that works well???? Would kinda like one that links to a lap top or Iphone but a regular hand held will be ok too.

Thanks in advance!!!!

Wojo
Auto Enginuity has a scan tool and an enhanced program specifically for Jaguar which you buy separately. A little pricey but I think it is close to what a Jag service would be.

Old 12-18-2013, 03:15 AM

Earlier in the thread it looks that he has gone a bought the Autoenginuity package but as yet not purchased the expansion pack.......as far as i was aware it's only the Jaguar expansion pack that can read the air bag system?
This is the reason i went for SDD......apart from "gold key" you get the lot.
TS

Old 12-18-2013, 11:36 PM
Default Seat Module

Well, I've confirmed that the seat module is the problem by swapping the passengers with the drivers side. After testing the passenger side with a multimeter and a magnifying glass, I could not actually find a bad connection. The relay won't actuate for the recline forward function. Will a module from an '01 work? My module has the number LJE2160AB/XXX and the '01 I found has LJE2160AA/XXX and costs 150. I can buy an unprogramed new one for $416. will the autoenginuity software allow me to program it????

Old 12-19-2013, 01:41 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,483 Likes on 3,901 Posts

I am a bit doubtful. Can't you get a used already-programmed module? Guessing more like $50.

Old 12-19-2013, 04:19 AM

No.....don't go buying a new un programmed module....IDS / SDD will be required to programme it. Your only option is second hand. This is a long shot but my guess is the 2 part numbers you quote is only a change in the part number suffix, this is to do with a model upgrade preperation. Seeing as the seats in the XK series did not change until the 2006MY came in, then it's just a logistics change for the supply chain at the factory.
The source for the AA module (which is an earlier part to yours), is there no way of "try before you buy?" Don't go spending that kind of money without the option to try / return, there will be a "AB" module out there somewhere. Have you looked over here on flea bay or our vehicle breakers ?

Old 12-19-2013, 04:33 AM
Veteran Member

Are you guys sure the seat module needs to be programmed?.

My understanding is that they are plug and play as indicated by the fact that you can swap them from one side to the other.

If this was the case then surely there would be a memory chip and back up supply for the programming.

Just asking is all.

Old 12-19-2013, 04:43 AM

Like everything else in this world "cheap" is the word...Jaguar found it cheaper to send out parts like "modules" as un programmed bricks. The dealer received the options to programme the modules in the updated versions of IDS & SDD that followed.
This change was a late call so "yes" you could be lucky and get one that is pre loaded, but do you really want to risk it without first trying it?

Old 12-19-2013, 04:56 AM
Old 12-19-2013, 05:07 AM

This link explains the programming of modules
http://www.jagrepair.com/images/TSB/...ID%20block.pdf

Old 12-19-2013, 05:32 AM
Veteran Member

Every day is a school day. Thanks for that Trevor, now added to my growing file of info.

Old 12-19-2013, 05:43 AM

No problem Jim. This Forum is the school and all of us in here are the teachers and what we get from it is the enjoyment of playing with our Jags when the home time bell rings!!!!

The following 2 users liked this post by smithtrevor:
jimbov8 (12-19-2013), sklimii (12-19-2013)

Quick Reply: Code Readers - Any Recomendation