XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Coin tray, plain sight in cabrio was a dumb idea anyways

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2017, 06:58 PM
Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts
Default Coin tray, plain sight in cabrio was a dumb idea anyways

Streaming music bluetooth system and usb power adapter. Can also throw in a tablet. This works much better for me.

Old 04-10-2017, 08:08 PM
Received 117 Likes on 96 Posts

I really am tempted to change my original stereo in mine...but hear horror stories...
I have to not show my son this post or he will want his ipad like that

Old 04-10-2017, 08:12 PM
dsd
Veteran Member
Received 326 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by prettybluefin
I really am tempted to change my original stereo in mine...but hear horror stories...
Any competent stereo shop can do it. I can get you recommendations if you pm me your area.

The following users liked this post:
prettybluefin (04-10-2017)
Old 04-10-2017, 08:31 PM

Originally Posted by prettybluefin
Actually I think the original stereo, kinda kicks ***. The hard part of a change, is just finding a stereo that's not tacky, not a Christmas light fury, or rectangular disco ball.
The space doesn't hold a 2din, so classy 1din are a search.

Plus cassettes are cool again!

I spent a chunk and searched for the right goodies, to still keep my CD changer working as well. Lots of wire figuring too. But for ease just toss in a cassette Bluetooth, and Bob's you uncle!

And that tablet is CHEAP on Ebay, its an Archos G9 8", just cuz they fit and I use (and break them) at gym!. If they go flying off treadmill, or stolen out of car, they cost less than a tank of gas! No pain like an IPad would be.

Old 04-10-2017, 08:45 PM
Received 117 Likes on 96 Posts

i dont mind the cd changer in the boot, but the cassette deck is sooo dated. cool, yes, but dated. i wish my phone would fit in the slot so it had some use...i don't use bluetooth, so not sure how that all ties in...

so if i find another stereo, will the buttons on the steering wheel still control the new stereo? or will that vary depending on what i choose?

Old 04-10-2017, 08:57 PM

They wont work, BUT almost all stereos will connect to this extra device that will make them work. They are called PAC, iDatalink, or Axxess. Google Steering wheel audio control adapter.

The following users liked this post:
prettybluefin (04-10-2017)
Old 04-10-2017, 09:35 PM
Received 47 Likes on 25 Posts

Someone else who's installed the TK30 - I really like mine, and think that mounted in the coin tray the display looks almost original (I posted some photos a couple of years back).

I have the USB plug & aux-in mounted inside the center console cubby box, and a miniature 64G memory stick in there with enough music for a couple of coast-to-coast trips. Mounted the control unit deep inside the center console.

Make sure you're running the latest firmware and ROM, otherwise you'll not get voice prompts (or you will get annoying prompts every time you loose/regain signal). I've had these issues with a couple of different TK30's.

-Steve

Old 04-10-2017, 09:58 PM

Oh hey man, I think your pics gave me the idea. I have it connected to a switcher to CD changer, so I can use either, and calls come in no matter the source playing. Yeah it fits right in the coin tray with some Dremeling. My TK brains are in the same spot as yours with USB in cubby too. I dont use the TK as native player, use PowerAmp on phone or tablet and TK to stream. Cuz TK only has codecs for MP3 and WMA. No Oggs, or FLAC. Yeah I updated it, but still wont play nice connecting to second source, but its old Bluetooth tech. Looks WAY better than Parrot, and doesnt mess with a stereo change out. Wiring was a tricky bit as I have the 18 pin plug, lots of experimenting! That silver extra Aux goes to CD switcher, has to be exposed cux to get changer option, that gets unplugged. Tried a toggle switch but no go, it uses wire sensing like a phone AUX plug. Guess it works better than the old audio sense one did.

Old 04-10-2017, 10:10 PM
Received 47 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Julian Black
Oh hey man, I think your pics gave me the idea. I have it connected to a switcher to CD changer, so I can use either, and calls come in no matter the source playing. Yeah it fits right in the coin tray with some Dremeling. My TK brains are in the same spot as yours with USB in cubby too. I dont use the TK as native player, use PowerAmp on phone or tablet and TK to stream. Cuz TK only has codecs for MP3 and WMA. No Oggs, or FLAC. Yeah I updated it, but still wont play nice connecting to second source, but its old Bluetooth tech. Looks WAY better than Parrot, and doesnt mess with a stereo change out. Wiring was a tricky bit as I have the 18 pin plug, lots of experimenting! That silver extra Aux goes to CD switcher, has to be exposed cux to get changer option, that gets unplugged. Tried a toggle switch but no go, it uses wire sensing like a phone AUX plug. Guess it works better than the old audio sense one did.
My original CD changer in the trunk still works, but I don't think I've played a CD since the day I put the TK30 in!

My unit was having problems which I thought were due to my phone (MotoX) and/or incompatible USB sticks - it would lock up when playing from USB, and gradually became more and more problematic over the last couple of years.

However it appears to have been a bad TK 'display unit' (which is actually where the brains are). Found one for sale on Ebay, and swapped it last weekend, and (fingers crossed), all the issues seem to have disappeared. Prior to that I had swapped out the black box 'brains' twice, and that didn't fix the issue.

I also find the TK controls the Bluetooth audio apps on the phone well - I use Pandora and RP (Radio Paradise) and both work well.

I'm currently rebuilding an old SL roadster, and I'm thinking of using either another TK or a Parrot to add BT/MP3 to that. Again, it comes down to having a small enough display to mount so it doesn't look totally out of place.

-Steve

PS Here's the link for my original posting, in case anyone else is interested - the TK30 is a cool piece of equipment, but they're tough to find now...... https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...e3/#post357782

Last edited by thefixer; 04-10-2017 at 10:14 PM.