XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Complete suspension rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2013, 02:39 AM
Received 51 Likes on 32 Posts
Default Complete suspension rebuild

I think it is about time I do a complete suspension rebuild on my car. I have no evidence of bushings/shocks/springs ever being replaced, and the car has some 105k miles on it by now. This video (earlier posted in "identify the clunk" thread, I believe demonstrates the bad shape of the suspension. Beyond this, the clunk still remains:

Now, due to the amount of work and cost involved, I need to prioritize the work a bit. I'm thinking to go for:

Front:
- Shocks with bushes, either Bilstein B6 or the "regular" B4, non ACD.
- Ball joints
- Roll bar links
- Roll bar bushings
- Wishbone bushings
- Subframe mounts(?)
- Engine mounts
- Transmission mount

Rear:
- Shocks with bushes, either Bilstein B6 or the "regular" B4, non ACD.
- Subframe mounts

Did the rear anti-roll bar links and bushings last year.

What would you guys recommend to have done by a shop, and what should I take care of myself? Would something like this work for pressing out/in the bushings?

Cheers!

Old 07-13-2013, 11:03 AM
Veteran Member
Received 369 Likes on 228 Posts

Thanks for posting the link to the bushing press tool kit. I've been looking around at those as well...

I'd love for one of our knowledgeable techs to tell us which bushing press tool set(s) can be purchased that will cover all of the various bushings in our front and rear suspensions.

Old 07-15-2013, 06:58 AM

Originally Posted by The Coupe
I'd love for one of our knowledgeable techs to tell us which bushing press tool set(s) can be purchased that will cover all of the various bushings in our front and rear suspensions.
Same here. Would make tackling the suspension a much easier task, than running back and forth to an indy with a press.

I'm also wondering what's the real cause for the jiggle in my car, as can be seen in the video of the first post. Shocks? Bushings? Doing the same operation on my BMW doesn't move the car one bit.

Old 07-15-2013, 12:07 PM
Veteran Member
Received 883 Likes on 472 Posts

I did all of my front suspension with this kit.

Forged Clamp 19 Piece Ball Joint U Joint C Frame Press Service Set Kit in Case | eBay

But next time I would also buy a cheap bench press if I had the space. I also had to fabricate a couple of tools.

Interesting video, I also just tried that on my car, once I got the frequency right I was also able to set up a wobble like yours.

Old 07-16-2013, 01:40 PM

Originally Posted by RaceDiagnostics
But next time I would also buy a cheap bench
press if I had the space. I also had to fabricate a couple of tools.
Would it be that much easier with a bench press?

Originally Posted by RaceDiagnostics
Interesting video, I also just tried that on my car, once I got the frequency right I was also able to set up a wobble like yours.
I just cannot believe this is how the car should behave? Perhaps I should start a wobble poll... When doing this on my BMW, it feels like trying to wobble a gigantic rock.

Old 07-16-2013, 03:30 PM
Veteran Member
Received 883 Likes on 472 Posts

I love the XK but I am not sure Jag got the suspension and steering sorted out before launch or during its production lifetime.

Both my front wheel drive 2007 Audi A3 and my dinosaur 1979 450Sl seem to handle better round the bends and over bumpy ground despite the total front end rebuild that I did on the XK. Also there was never a proper Top Gear lap time time posted, that is just odd.

I just accept it for what it is, a beautiful car.

The C clamp is good but not easy to use, you will need a big breaker bar and pipe extension to make it work.

This was typical of my toil (see below) after I wished I had a press which would have been much quicker, but the C clamp kit was great for all the cups, ideally you want both.

See the full story here.