XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

conv top cover

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2017, 08:39 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default conv top cover

I have never used the snap down cover nor it seems anyone else has as it looks like it never was taken out of the cover. usually don't 't go over 30 miles on the interstate, mainly side roads 45 to 55 miles per hour. just wondering what all you conv. people do.
btw, the top is down whenever its 70 degrees or higher.
2006 black cat.

Old 05-05-2017, 09:04 AM
Received 387 Likes on 269 Posts

the only possible issue is wear and grime on the headliner, perhaps above 50 the worst. i am even worse than you as i run open at 35 F and up and mostly close the roof when it is very hot or super-highway driving or dusty areas. since my trips can be short and i like the ability to close and open when i want, i seldom use the boot cover. you are doing no damage worth being concerned about.

Old 05-05-2017, 09:32 AM
dsd
Veteran Member
Received 326 Likes on 231 Posts

Honestly, I think most grime and damage to the headliner is from the foam deteriorating from the inside. It gives that rusty stain look.

That said, as stated, no real issues except extra wear and tear.

Old 05-05-2017, 09:33 AM
Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

I always put mine on even if I'm only going a few miles. I keep my car in the garage with the top down and the cover on most of the time.

Old 05-05-2017, 10:23 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,273 Likes on 2,810 Posts

My wife always snaps on the cover whenever the top is down. It helps to stabilize the folded top which minimizes vibration and therefore wear-and-tear. It only takes a minute or so to install or remove the cover....

Old 05-05-2017, 10:47 AM
Received 241 Likes on 146 Posts

I, too, like to keep my cover on when the top is down. It doesn't take long to put on, looks better, and it keeps the top from flapping in the rear or stuff from falling down inside there.

Old 05-05-2017, 10:59 AM

related to this topic, a question.

my headliner needs replacing which is part of the reason that i do not care to put on the boot cover. has anyone deleted the headliner and gone for the look of the unfinished interior. my other family car was this way stock and it looked fine as the pads and framework were very neat. curious if anyone tried this yet.

Old 05-05-2017, 11:18 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,252 Likes on 687 Posts

I have considered redoing the liner in vinyl to match the interior and make it easier to clean off the road soot. Never thought about dropping the liner entirely. Would be interesting to see what that looks like.

Old 05-05-2017, 03:55 PM

You may get your answer soon as it is the only tatty thing in my car and thus motivates me to do something. A light colored item with stains is the worst to look at. Have to figure out how it attaches. I like your idea of using a different material such as vinyl. My thinking is to go with something dark that does not show dirt and maybe matches the roof or my blue dash cover. Paul's Jaguar in FL makes them. I wonder if he can make me a dark blue one. I have a great upholstery shop here in NYC, perhaps they can order it in a darker color.

My only concern with vinyl would be getting it to lay right and not eventually crack.

Old 05-09-2017, 10:42 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

thank everyone for your replies. helps a lot
uncle jim Sent

Old 05-09-2017, 02:13 PM

a few days ago i explored what the hood would look like without the headliner and what is involved in removal.

the underside of the hood is a yellowish pad that develops its own stains from moisture and has some cracking to it. it will not look nice unless the padding is replaced with something darker and with a better surface.

removing the headliner involves releasing some of the framework and looks to involve drilling out a few rivets.

Since mine is not ripped, I am thinking of having it removed so that I can dye it to a darker color. Perhaps I will just replace it, however I would like to address the issue with the bleed through that causes the stains. Treating the unseen side of the new one with a Scotch Guard or some other waterproofing will do the trick. It is obvious that the stains come through from the hood side.

Old 05-09-2017, 03:14 PM
dsd
Veteran Member
Received 326 Likes on 231 Posts

I believe the cost of headliner replacement is labor. Pre-cut kits ready to be installed are a reasonable $300 or less. Probably $50 of materials.

As I understand, the labor of the rear window and stitching is a pita.

The following users liked this post:
CorStevens (05-09-2017)