XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

convertable top patch hose appears successful

Old 03-18-2010, 04:29 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default convertable top patch hose appears successful

What I have is a working patch at this time and will offer my example for those who want to attempt the same. I offer no warranty as time will be the only proof of this repairs effectiveness. I am only offering this topic too discuss my experience, as that is what I think this forum is for. If you would like to continue this discussion please join in. I do feel that a patch is just that " A patch". I have a working top again and I have ran the system dozens of times with no failure. I would provide pics and part#'s if requested. I will provide a longer post following this for those who want more, but in short I spent about $50.00 and it was less work than replacing the entire hose. It did require finding a hose repair shop that would work with me as it needed a professional hose assembly be made on the vehicle. Please read on if interested.

Scott.

Old 03-18-2010, 04:33 PM
Gus
Veteran Member
Received 2,207 Likes on 1,700 Posts

Would love to see what you have.

Old 03-18-2010, 04:49 PM
Veteran Member
Received 537 Likes on 400 Posts

Come on man--tell us more!

Doug

Old 03-18-2010, 06:18 PM
Default patch hose continued---

When I started the original post it became to long so I divided it into a start and continuation. I hope this will offer more light on what I have done. Again, this is what path I followed in creating a “patch” for the hose, and NOT have to replace it completely from end too end. My first thought was to repair the hose end with a new fitting. That was a very frustrating endeavor. With many hours of research and validating this with the fact that many others have explored this same path. It is apparent that the OEM hose itself is not manufactured any more and the fittings for the OEM hose are not available from any source. It is also apparent that the OEM hose is under engineered for the environment, and as so IT WILL fail. Again, I do feel that a patch is just that " A patch"
I spent time reviewing the engineering data on hose of similar build size and materials, and found a fitting that will crimp too the OEM hose and hold pressure. I tried a "reusable" fitting that would be installable with hand tools and the OEM tubing was consistently failing at the connection. The crimp on fitting could be applied to any location on the OEM hose, but the the limitation is access, as it needs to be crimped on with a hydraulic crimping machine. This makes the patch difficult. The crimping machine is large, but not implausible to bring to the vehicle. The OEM hose had deteriorated and I found I had to cut back the hose until I had eliminated all the hose that was within the area of the windshield frame roof-line. Once I had a reliable fitting connected to the OEM hose I had new section of hose made that would connect to the latch assembly. The fit within the are of the old hose was tight ,but was not impossible. It has been tested in function more than 50 times and have had not leaks.
The parts used to create the Patch were parts for AN-3 brake hose mad by Eaton Aeroquip. I used the source of Summit Racing and Parker Hose store to purchase the parts, but all parts could be sourced with a Parker hose store. I have found that the Parker hose store has locations in most major cities, And they have the Aeroquip hose crimping machine, but you will have find out if your location is willing to work with the problem of bringing the crimper to the vehicle issue yourself. The part#'s used in making the patch are as listed.

HF09 = Female swivel nut 3/8 NF
BQ251 = Braided Hose insert for DOT Hoses, ordered as BQ251-RD as red part#
HFIM19 = Male 1/8 x 27NPTF
EGE06L1 1/8NPTCF = Str Swivel connector
I will get some pics. Tomorrow. Time to go too work now will contiue later.

Last edited by sostahoe; 03-21-2010 at 06:24 PM. Reason: Grammer typo
Old 03-18-2010, 07:52 PM
Gus
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by SeismicGuy
Come on man--tell us more!

Doug
Doug,

Funny I had a conversation with a person that had a shop and was asking questions on the roof hose for the xk8 and he lived in or near Lake Tahoe several months ago.

Old 03-20-2010, 04:16 PM
Default some pics of the repair

Here is a link too some pics of the repair.
You are invited to view Scott's photo album: Jaguar repair

Jaguar repair
Jan 2, 2010
by Scott
View Album
Play slideshow

If you are having problems viewing this email, copy and paste the following into your browser:
http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/sredi...IVA&feat=email

Old 03-20-2010, 04:44 PM
Gus
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by sostahoe
Here is a link too some pics of the repair.
You are invited to view Scott's photo album: Jaguar repair

Jaguar repair
Jan 2, 2010
by Scott
View Album
Play slideshow

If you are having problems viewing this email, copy and paste the following into your browser:
http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/sredi...IVA&feat=email
Nice job Scott let us know how well it holds up. Nice photos! I see one of mine in your mix!

Old 03-20-2010, 07:34 PM
Default Gus is the Man

Thanks Gus. I think your work and the web source that you have kept was the biggest help avaible. It was your resources that I used to get started on this problem and convey what I was looking for with the hose people. I am hope full that this will hold as the seems to be crimped as well as any fitting I could compare it too. does anyone have any ideas on what could be done too test it above and beyond ?

Scott

Last edited by sostahoe; 03-21-2010 at 06:39 PM. Reason: spelling typo
Old 03-21-2010, 08:54 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I wonder, if the Parker Hose would make the OEM replacement hoses ( the fittings should be some standardized metric size), and what the cost would be? Should be at least an half what the OEM is.

Old 03-21-2010, 12:26 PM
Veteran Member

It would be great if you could produce a photo-illustrated step-by-step procedure, similar to what Gus had done for installing the hydraulic pressure check valve for convertibles.

Doug

Old 03-21-2010, 12:29 PM
Gus
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by SeismicGuy
It would be great if you could produce a photo-illustrated step-by-step procedure, similar to what Gus had done for installing the hydraulic pressure check valve for convertibles.

Doug
Doug

Don’t tell him that he will get a few more of my photos and put them on his page!

Old 03-21-2010, 12:58 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Gus
Doug

Don’t tell him that he will get a few more of my photos and put them on his page!

Whatever photos or other information that he (or someone else) uses that originated from your website should clearly be given proper credit. When I hit the link that Scott provided to his album the first thing I noticed that one of the photos in particular looked familiar--sure enough it was yours. Unless you and Scott are the same person and you are pulling our leg?

Doug

Old 03-21-2010, 01:13 PM
Gus
Veteran Member

No ! I am me and he is him…….

Old 03-21-2010, 02:22 PM
Default hose source for DIY's ???

I have spent a bit if time with Parker on this and Still working on finding a better full replacement hose option for the DIY'r. What the person at Parker offered required a bunch of (3) fittings one each end just to mate to the existing OEM fittings. That was not what I think we were really interested in. Extra $ and potential for problems with fit and failure. Still looking for a source for the fitting that will work directly with the upgraded hose, but the Parker person told me he had no source.
Well right back to the point of spending some time and having some patience.
Any one else have any ideas ? lets get started.
Scott.

Old 03-21-2010, 03:19 PM
Gus
Veteran Member

Scott,

Well if you are looking for a full hose that has been taken care of. If you are looking for a splice that has been explored with Parker and I am not sure where you want to go.

We found the cause of the problem and designed a pressure relief valve to prevent the high pressure. We also designed a hose that far exceeds the existing pressure on the system and will most likely out last the car. What do we need to do? We explored the possibility of a splice but my attempts failed because of the old hose and the degradation of it over the years and the incompatibility with American standards.

I commend you on your efforts and wish you the best, however, if asked I will be the first to say replacing the entire hose and installing the valve is the only way to go.

Old 03-21-2010, 06:35 PM

Gus; and all;
I am in full agreement on the fact that a full hose replacement would be my only solution after my experience with this repair. This repair was a learning experience, and I do believe the material cost and Labor comparison between a patch and full replacement is not enough too make me feel fully confident in having a patch repair in place over the all new hose. IF this thread is followed by anyone who would heed this comment, please use it for what it is worth.
As I said in an earlier post about the resources that Gus "He's the Man" has available, I would have spent less effort and cost, but then again it is experimentation that finds the next solution.

Scott.

PS. Sorry; I will take the photo that was not of my origin off line and if any one wants any of the the ones I created and posted, go ahead a grab them. I do not plan on hosting the pics for the long term, so they will be going away in the future.

Old 03-21-2010, 07:35 PM
Gus
Veteran Member

I applaud your efforts!