XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Convertible leak

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2012, 08:22 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Convertible leak

OK after 2 hours of searching, I cant find if anyone has had a problem with the convertible top leaking in rain. (I did see post about car wash)
I looked at a 2002 XKR it had a "stain" on the front of the headliner. So do there cars have a problem with Convertible tops leaking from rain.????
Thanks all.

Old 01-30-2012, 08:32 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,981 Likes on 2,123 Posts

These tops seal pretty well and you do not hear often about leaking problems.

Was the stain reddish/brown? If so, that usually is from the foam behind the headliner deteriorating which is very common. In that case a new headliner is the solution. Aftermarket headliners are avaialble for about $150, but figure on about 4 hours labor at an auto upholstery shop to install it.

Old 01-30-2012, 05:40 PM
Veteran member
Received 1,144 Likes on 750 Posts

Unless a seal is torn/missing, I've never heard of the top leaking in rain. Could also be leftover, or beginning of the latch fluid leak.

Old 01-31-2012, 06:08 AM
Received 191 Likes on 134 Posts

I have a leaking convertible top, just at the drivers front corner at the very top. When it leakes, it drips on my left knee. I keep the car in the garage, and don't drive the car much in the rain. It is more of an issue if I leave the car out in the rain, but if I am driving and it starts raining then it seems not to be a real issue, I suspect because the water doesn't have a chance to "pool". I really have not spent any time trying to figure out why/what is the cause. If your issue seems to be the same, and if you find the root cause, please let me know. Maybe I will look into it myself; I just haven't needed to.

Old 01-31-2012, 06:46 AM
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

I have a leaking convertible top, just at the drivers front corner at the very top. When it leakes, it drips on my left knee.
Same thing, Though I attribute it to the wipers kicking more water into the left top of the windshield. Also I think that the 'channel for removal of water' in the door/window seal disfigured / warped a little when the hydraulic fluid from the top hose leak soaked it. So the rain water is not flowing quite properly, but spilling over the channel edge. The drain hole at the bottom of the seal is clear. Right now it is just a pain and the knee gets wet.

It has been almost 9 months since I waterproofed/conditioned the top last. Got some more 'Ragg Top' to do it again, but the weather and temperatures haven't been condusive to washing, drying, applying RaggTop and drying again.

But meanst while, I keep looking for any wet or damp spots on the liner, dash or seats and haven't spotted any. So the top has really been good as far as being watertight.

The stain on the headliner might be from a blown hydraulic hose. Look at the 'left A Piller', if the fabric is a little loose and wrinkled, probably a hose leak. This doesn't mean that the prior Owner did not get the hose fixed, only that they didn't change the headliner and 'A Piller' Fabric Covering.

Old 01-31-2012, 07:08 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,981 Likes on 2,123 Posts

Originally Posted by billm

The stain on the headliner might be from a blown hydraulic hose. Look at the 'left A Piller', if the fabric is a little loose and wrinkled, probably a hose leak. This doesn't mean that the prior Owner did not get the hose fixed, only that they didn't change the headliner and 'A Piller' Fabric Covering.
If the fabric is loose and wrinkled it is because the backing foam has deteriorated.

Old 01-31-2012, 10:45 PM
Received 69 Likes on 54 Posts

Have not had a problem with the Jag but i have had Miata that leaked. Sprayed the seals with silicone and let in soak into the seals/rubber for about an hour. The silicone will soften the seals and let them swell up to around the orginal state. Temp is a big factor. Wipe off the excess and reclose the top or what ever you are working on. Just make sure that there is no pressure on the seals while its soaking. Old trick that i learned from a family member that has a body shop. Hope it helps. Jim

The following users liked this post:
MRomanik (02-01-2012)
Old 02-01-2012, 06:36 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks all, I am glad I found this site. Looks like we are going to pick up the XKR tonight.