XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Convertible top advice needed ASAP!

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2017, 05:25 PM
Received 161 Likes on 133 Posts

Addendum: I can still hear the pump motor operating when I use the switch, but the top doesn't move in either direction. It does, however, drop and raise the front door windows an inch or two.

Old 07-17-2017, 05:36 PM
Received 241 Likes on 146 Posts

From my understanding, releasing pressure via the T handle will relieve both the latch and the rams, which is why you can manually raise and lower the roof, along with latch and unlatch. If you have turned the T to open, what may have happened is that the rams may have locked the roof frame into place already. If the roof is locked into place there is a way to manually unlock it by either pulling on it, or as some have done, by using a ratched strap to pull it down and unlock the frame. There is a picture along with instructions here on the forum on how to do it properly. Don't go yanking the roof down, as that can bend the frame.

From what I read in your post, the roof is now up and almost resting on the latch, but not quite reaching it to fully latch? But you can move the latch freely, is that correct?

Old 07-17-2017, 05:46 PM

The loop on the top that engages with the latch is on top of latch and you cannot manually move the latch into the full release position. I've pushed up on the top, but I'm afraid to push too hard and risk bending the frame. It appears that the rams are locked and I'm not sure how to manually release them. if I could get the top to move up another inch or two, I could manually move the latch into it's open position which would allow the top to fully rest on the header and trigger the switches (I hope).

Old 07-17-2017, 06:02 PM

Here is a link to the procedure on unlocking the rams, courtesy of Gus:

JagRepair.com - Jaguar Repair Information Resource

If that is indeed the problem, once you do get it sorted I would check the hydraulic fluid level in the trunk, and cleaning and lubricating the top latch would certainly not be a bad idea. Ofcourse the typical hard reset is always recommended once the top is out of sequence.

The following users liked this post:
max224 (07-18-2017)
Old 07-18-2017, 02:33 PM

Got the top working again! Pried the front of the top up about 2 inches from the header (the rams were locked) to where it cleared the latch then let it down again. I then manually operated the latch to lock it down, did a hard reset, and it works perfectly. Was worried about bending the top frame, but it seems to be fine.

Thanks for all of the suggestions and encouragement!

Norri (07-18-2017)
Old 07-18-2017, 02:58 PM
Received 251 Likes on 156 Posts
chillyphilly (07-18-2017)
Old 07-18-2017, 03:33 PM

Thanks for sharing, Oyster. This is the very reason I refrain from using WD-40 to lubricate things. I will use it, but typically for cleaning if in an appropriate place. When it comes to lube, I prefer silicon, graphite, or oil instead, depending on the object, its use, and its location.

As kids we used WD-40 on our bicycle chains. It's no wonder they were so squeaky and rusty, and needed reapplication frequently. Silicon/oil does a far superior job on them. Too bad I didn't know until I was an adult.

Old 07-18-2017, 04:33 PM

I wonder if that's what caused my problem. Thanks for pointing that out.

Old 07-18-2017, 05:21 PM
Gus
Veteran Member
Received 2,207 Likes on 1,700 Posts

I have been using WD40 as a cleaning lubricant for years and it worked well for years. However, today as a lubricant it is even better. The bottom line is you use what you are comfortable with but so far WD40 cleans better than many I have used in the past.

Gus
www.jagrepair.com

Old 07-20-2017, 08:11 PM
Received 140 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by Gus
My concern is that I think the system is a little confused and a hard reset could help.
Top and all was working okay but did a hard reset for good luck. Mistake. Didn't lose the radio presets, but now my antenna won't fully retract and the front driver's window won't sync up with the top. It doesn't raise when putting the top up as the right one does. And it won't fully close when I close the door. Tried resetting it a dozen times. It clicks when I lower it and keep the switch pressed, but just won't cooperate. I have to close it by opening the passenger side door and reaching over. Passenger window works fine. I suspect it's the battery, which amazingly is the original one. Probably all my troubleshooting with the engine off put it almost over the edge. Sound likely?

Old 07-20-2017, 09:33 PM
Gus
Veteran Member
Received 2,207 Likes on 1,700 Posts

Not sure what took place but this is the procedure on doing a hard reset.

Link JagRepair.com - Jaguar Repair Information Resource

Also when resetting the drivers door window did you do it with the door open? if so you need to do it with the doors closed. This is my procedure to reset your windows.

Link JagRepair.com - Jaguar Repair Information Resource

As for the antenna test it with the engine running turn the radio off and see if it retracts then turn the radio on and see if it extends. It could be that the shaft is dry or gummed up and needs cleaning. Spray it a few times with WD40 and work it onto the shaft and joints.

Old 07-21-2017, 01:44 PM
Default Beware the power of WD-40

The antenna started retracting fully yesterday. Guess it was just the car's warped sense of humor that it acted up right after I did the hard reset. Figured I should clean the antenna, anyway, to prevent further problems. As I was spraying the paper towel with WD-40, a single drop managed to drip onto the top of the rear bumper. Wiped it off immediately. Too late. Made a nice little spot that seems to be permanent. At least it didn't run down the trunk lid. That stuff is vicious!

The window, of course, still refuses to sync up.

Old 07-26-2017, 04:37 PM
Default Now the car is just screwing with me.

As I mentioned earlier in this thread, the driver's window refused to reset even after numerous attempts with door closed, door opened, engine off, engine on. Figured it was the control module. Found a reasonably priced one on eBay and am waiting for it to arrive. Yesterday while driving I put the window down and for the hell of it kept the switch depressed to once again try to reset the window. Got home, opened and closed the door and to my surprise, the window did what it should. All back to normal. Needless to say, I'm happy, but I can't imagine why it didn't reset during my other tries. It occurs to me that all my previous attempts were likely made with the top down. This time, the top was up. I know it's a long shot, but is there any way the top being up could have made any difference?

Old 07-27-2017, 09:03 AM

To the best of my knowledge and belief, the window reset has to be done with the top up so the window can form the proper seal with the top, which seems to make sense. I'm sure that someone smarter than I am will be able to reply definitively.

Stamford (07-28-2017)
Old 07-27-2017, 10:16 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,276 Likes on 2,813 Posts

^^ That certainly makes sense to me. Let's hope that resetting the window switch with the top up indeed solved the issue. Keep us posted....

Old 07-28-2017, 09:34 AM

Max,
I never thought about that. It makes perfect sense. Wish I had; it would have saved me buying a replacement that I hope I never need to use.

Man, the collective wisdom on this Forum is really priceless. Certainly worth supporting.

Thanks, all!