XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Copy of Navigation DVD - THREAD CLOSED

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2010, 10:15 AM
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Copy of Navigation DVD - THREAD CLOSED

Hi, is there anyone who can make me a copy of the latest (Alpine - BM9JU91F) navigation dvd? I don't use the navigation but I'd like to have the analog clock. I will reimburse you for any expenses of course.

I made a test-copy of my dvd (BM9JU91C) and it works in my car. I used Free DVD ISO maker V2.0 and CDBurnerXP (both free tools) with a DVD-R.
If you are local (SF Bay Area) I can come by with my laptop and burn it myself.

Alternatively you can make a copy of your dvd and sell me the original. Right now this dvd is not on ebay and I expect the next one to fetch a high price which is a bit ridiculous considering how outdated the even latest version is.

Thanks,
Markus

Last edited by GGG; 01-29-2021 at 02:43 AM.
Old 03-04-2010, 10:05 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is there anyone willing to take this on?

I would like a copy of the "F" disc as well. I suspect there are quite a few others that would be willing to pay enough to make a nice profit for the guy or gal that is willing to produce duplicate discs. It doesn't look like we'll ever see updates beyond the "F" disc so many of us with older versions would at least like to have the most up to date version abvailable.

Ken

Old 03-04-2010, 11:40 PM
Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Get me a list of people interested. If its worth my while I can make it happen.

Old 03-05-2010, 06:44 AM
Gus
Veteran Member
Received 2,207 Likes on 1,700 Posts

I am making the last leg of my crusade to get updated DVD GPS disks for the Alpine system. All attempts with Jaguar, Alpine & NAVTEQ have failed so far. My return receipt letter will go out Monday with hopes to hear from them in short order. I will provide an update when one is available. I have not given up!

Old 03-05-2010, 11:21 AM
Veteran member
Received 1,144 Likes on 750 Posts

Throw in the towel Gus, I smell failure. Not your fault of course, or due to lack of trying.

Old 03-05-2010, 12:10 PM
Veteran Member
Received 537 Likes on 400 Posts

A more important question related to the NAV system. I notice every so often the map seems confused in terms of my actual location. I was traveling from LAX back to my office yesterday and just wanted to check what the actual mileage was so, for fun, used the NAV system. The trip is almost entirely freeway and the system successfully directed me onto the freeway. While on the freeway, the voice suddenly told me to make a right turn. I looked at the screen and it erroneously showed be to be on a city street just east of the freeway and the system was trying to figure out a way to get me back on the freeway (which I was already on). I also noticed the little GPS symbol briefly turned red and then back to green.

After ignoring the system for a few minutes it seemed to self-correct and showed me back on the freeway.

Is this a flaw in the specific system in my car or is this somewhat typical?

Thanks,

Doug

Old 03-05-2010, 12:27 PM
Gus
Veteran Member

Not sure but this could be one of the reasons why updates are not available. The system could have been flawed from the onset.

Old 03-05-2010, 12:38 PM
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

After missing a turn and going around a couple of blocks, my system got mixed up and thought I was on the correct street only I was on a street 1 block away from the correct street, going in the correct direction. This happened a couple of times but the system would correct itself after a couple of blocks of travel.

Old 03-05-2010, 12:48 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Copying the "F" disc

After finally locating and buying the latest "F" disc, the first thing I tried to do was copy it. Several coasters later, I managed to hit on the right combination of hardware and software to get successful working copies. Luckily I have a lot of equipment at my disposal to experiment with. In essence you need a drive capable of bit copying and software that produces DVDRom formatted dics. Media used is also important. The "F" disc is much more difficult to copy than earlier versions. I have been using a copy exclusively in my car with no issue other than the rare occurrence of a read error upon startup. Power cycling always corrects this so I think it's an issue with the Alpine deck, not the disc.

Shoot me a PM if you would like to "discuss" this further.

The following users liked this post:
sloop34 (12-28-2017)
Old 03-05-2010, 12:55 PM
Gus
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by h20boy
Throw in the towel Gus, I smell failure. Not your fault of course, or due to lack of trying.
What is this throw in the towel? I refuse to give up. I might later!

Old 03-05-2010, 01:38 PM
Veteran member

AB, i've also been successful in creating a backup of my original disc. I too have been using it for the last few years in lieu of the original...it sits in its case, nice and safe.

Unfortunately, over the years, my DVDrom reader-thingy is getting tired, and now refuses to spin enough to read my disc. ERROR all the time now.

I do need the disc to be spinning up in order to get the 'clock' started.

As for the accuracy, and showing off on other streets...i've only had that happen a few times. I think the older systems just don't have the accuracy that the new GPSs do, everything is better...antenna, GPS sensitivity, etc, maybe even less 'satellites' that are active for our systems?? In my garage, the Alpine unit always showed 'no signal', however the Garmin Unit picks up the sats and locks on. Alpine often liked to 'guess' from time to time which street you're on, especially if they're so close together, like an access road to a highway...only 20 feet apart, but which one to display the arrow on?

My Garmin unit is much more accurate, but does have it's instances such as the access road dilemma from time to time.

Old 03-10-2010, 09:08 AM
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks to AB and his evaluation DVD I have now a clock!

Old 06-01-2010, 03:42 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi, please count me in on an updated DVD if one is available. Thanks!

Old 09-25-2011, 09:45 PM
Default A copy of the 'F' Disc

Originally Posted by ABorealis
After finally locating and buying the latest "F" disc, the first thing I tried to do was copy it. Several coasters later, I managed to hit on the right combination of hardware and software to get successful working copies......

Shoot me a PM if you would like to "discuss" this further.
AB.. I just picked up a 2000 XK8 and saw this post.. any chance of getting a copy..?

Thanks Jon

Old 10-04-2011, 03:17 PM

Originally Posted by dddjr41
Did you get the BM9JU91F DVD I would like on as well
No I have not heard back from any one.. I know a bunch of them have been pretty hot and heavy on a solid solution to bursting hydrulic hoses on the soft top system..

I might start a new thread on it.

Old 10-04-2011, 03:21 PM
Veteran Member
Received 537 Likes on 400 Posts

I guess there has been some discussion as to whether or not a copy of an official oem disk will actually work in the system. When I get the chance I could try with my disk and see what happens but I would hate to screw anything up by playing around with the factory disk.

Doug

Old 10-05-2011, 12:03 AM
Veteran member

there's a link in the FAQ thread for the xk8-xkr subforum that will let you download the image file and you can try the burn yourself. Its worked for some, others not. Worth a $0.15 DVD don't ya think?

Old 08-16-2013, 01:13 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2001 XJR NAV disc missing

Hello all, I am new to the forum. I am in need however of a NAV disc for my cat. 2001 XJR. I see comments about copies. any chance I can get one rather than paying the rediculous price seen at vendor sites?

Thanks in advance!

Quick Reply: Copy of Navigation DVD - THREAD CLOSED