XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

coupe or convertable which did you choose

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2012, 01:54 PM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Default coupe or convertable which did you choose

I saw some discussion over this point and figured what the hell and get some verbal discussion going on. I will start. I bought the convertable (99 xk8 ) cause I really wanted open air driving. I drove motorcycles most of my life ( yes old school trimuphs and bsa's back in the day ) my 1st introduction into all things british !!!! and lucas !!!! But after giving up the two wheels I wanted to still get the open feeling . If they made the coupe in a t top I may have considered that. But in my humble opinion the coupe is a better looking car and wished the convertable looked as good. The lines are just right with the coupe and not quite right with the convertable

Old 08-22-2012, 02:45 PM
Veteran Member
Received 186 Likes on 161 Posts

Had an E Type convert many years ago. That is why I got the XK8 convert.

Old 08-22-2012, 03:25 PM
JSC
Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts

I have a 98 XK8 convertible. I love the coupe's looks, but the convertible just looks a notch better to me.

hdsg - I too drove motorcycles my whole life, and I still enjoy the two oldies I have.

Old 08-22-2012, 03:35 PM
Veteran Member
Received 677 Likes on 551 Posts

OK I'll join the fun. Also started out on early British BSA (and Bultaco) bikes and upgraded eventually to an MGA, E-Type, plus Fiats and Alfas. Several convertibles in that mix. And I would put the Italian's general workmanship up against the British (Lucas) electrics any day.

I also wanted a coupe because of the lines, but couldn't find one in decent shape for what I wanted to spend. Was about ready to give it up and buy an XJ when I found my blue cat. No regrets and the top down driving is a joy.

Maybe I'll save my nickels and buy a newer coupe with 3rd gen tensioners. Can't hurt to have two XK's right?

Old 08-22-2012, 09:06 PM
Veteran Member
Received 182 Likes on 148 Posts

Ok, here's my 2 cents worth; I bought an XKR Coupe because I just loved the classic look of the car. The lines are just perfect and I think it is the most beautiful car that has been built since the E-Type. Convertibles look great with the top down but not as good with the top up.

Mark

Old 08-22-2012, 10:27 PM
Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by mjlaris
Convertibles look great with the top down but not as good with the top up.

Mark
+1! Which is why I have a convertible in Arizona!

Old 08-22-2012, 10:35 PM
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

+1 on the convertible. Putting the top down is one of my daily joys.

Old 08-22-2012, 10:43 PM
Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts
Cool

I bought my '97 coupe because it was the only game in my area. I own an '03 X-Type and a '64 Triumph T120R (Original Owner) also.

Old 08-22-2012, 11:28 PM
Received 126 Likes on 110 Posts

coupe or convertable which did you choose-photo-jag-side.jpgI can see how to some people the coup is better looking, and with the top up on the 'vert, I can agree, but with the top down, the 'very has a very sexy sleek look that to me is just as good looking or better than the coupe.

Then again, as others have noted, there is no comparison when it comes to riding in the 'vert on a beautiful day, or at night with the moon and stars and above.

I grew up going in boats, and still have one, but don't get much chance to use it, so the 'vert is the closest thing to riding in a boat.

It's the convertible for me all the way.

Attached Thumbnails coupe or convertable which did you choose-photo-jag-back.jpg  

Last edited by Kevin D; 08-22-2012 at 11:38 PM.
Old 08-22-2012, 11:57 PM
Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

I never tire of cruising with the top down on my XKR and hearing other drivers at a stoplight complimenting me on what a beauty she is...or are they commenting on my wife's looks?!!? Regardless of any comments garnered, the joy of driving with the top down always puts a big grin on my face!

The coupe is very nice, but +1 on the convertible!

Cheers!

Jon

Old 08-23-2012, 07:50 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bought the coupe. I prefer the lines to the convertible, top up or down. I think it shows the true complete look of the design. That being said, I'm a very pale white guy that wears alot of sunscreen, lol! So convertible cruising, except at night, has never been my thing. I also think the coupe has a more solid feel when driving (I have driven both). I also like the fact that the coupe is much less seen, and it seems to draw looks plenty. My body shop, where I took her to get detailed, had never seen the coupe version. One of the guys there mistook it for a Maserati. I corrected him, of course! I told him that the Jag was a much better car, lol!

Old 08-23-2012, 08:30 AM
Received 29 Likes on 11 Posts

I got a convertible as that is what I wanted, an open car. The one which ticked lots of other boxes I wanted was the XK8 so that is what I have. Had I wanted a coupe I'm not sure it would have been the Jag, but don't know what it would have been as I didn't really consider that route.

Old 08-23-2012, 08:37 AM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Convertible XK or Coup ?

Originally Posted by hdsg
I saw some discussion over this point and figured what the hell and get some verbal discussion going on. I will start. I bought the convertable (99 xk8 ) cause I really wanted open air driving. I drove motorcycles most of my life ( yes old school trimuphs and bsa's back in the day ) my 1st introduction into all things british !!!! and lucas !!!! But after giving up the two wheels I wanted to still get the open feeling . If they made the coupe in a t top I may have considered that. But in my humble opinion the coupe is a better looking car and wished the convertable looked as good. The lines are just right with the coupe and not quite right with the convertable
The basis for your choice should be the prevailing weather patterns in your area . I live in the northern climes( on the US/Can border) and while there is little doubt that the convertible looks much cooler. I retrospect, I now wish that I had purchased the coupe, even though my Cat is not winter driven

Stainless Stan

Old 08-23-2012, 08:40 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Got the Convertible myself, my love for soft topped cars started with my wee MG Midget a few years ago and all my cars since have been soft top. Just got rid of my Mazda MX5 that was a blast to drive, if a little cramped!

Fell in love with the XK8 Conv when I used to go to a local car show (Ashby Folville, if anyone in the UK knows of it?) And always used to see a few XK8s there, I used to lust over them far more than any Aston Martin or Masarati!

Old 08-23-2012, 09:03 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,276 Likes on 2,813 Posts

My wife wanted the ragtop for obvious reasons (it's her car, after all). But I concur that the coupe is even better looking....

Old 08-23-2012, 09:20 AM
Received 82 Likes on 56 Posts

Living in the UK I'm more likely to find a twisty road than a sunny day, so for taughter handling I went for the coupe.

I used to drive a 1994 Nissan 300ZX (Fairlady Z - 3.0l V6 twin turbo with all the HKS goodies) with a Targa roof. I loved the amount of light it let into the car, but, except for one exceptional summer with 3 weeks of good weather, the roofs stayed on for the other 9 years I owned one. Nice car - just too old now.

If they made the XKR with a targa I'd have that in a heart beat.

Old 08-23-2012, 11:48 AM
Received 251 Likes on 156 Posts

Even here up north it has to be the cabriolet as we call them. My friend with the coupe was going to Denmark this summer. He had some trouble with the aircoditioning and ended up in his wifes Renault.

Old 08-23-2012, 12:00 PM
Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

@oyster,
Where in Norway are you located?
I am expat in Stavanger trying to finish of a projectoverthere.

By the way, I prefer the coupe above the convertible

Old 08-23-2012, 08:23 PM
Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

I've owned both. I agree with HDSD. I bought the R coupe for the looks and loved it but I missed the top down experiance so I swapped. Not sorry bout it either.

Old 08-23-2012, 09:51 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,106 Likes on 763 Posts

Coupe for the beautiful lines. Hands down.

Quick Reply: coupe or convertable which did you choose