XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A couple of annoyances...

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2013, 02:37 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A couple of annoyances...

I'm the happy owner of a 2001 XKR convertible that just turned 100K miles. All is (knock on the dashboard) well, but I have two small items that are making me crazy. Any and all opinions appreciated:

1) My chromatic rear view mirror is functioning flawlessly - and I know just what to do if the "gel blob" appears. BUT, the mirror has loosened on the mount at the "swivel" and vibrates as I drive. This has two consequences...first, it's a little hard to see because of the vibration, and second, it makes a very annoying sound that mimics a suspension rumble. It's quite odd how deep and loud (for a mirror) this noise is. When I put my hand on the mirror to stop the vibration, silence ensues. I can't find any means to tighten this at the swivel mount. Any ideas?

2) My windshield washers are pretty much inoperative. I've tried to clean the nozzles with a pin to no avail. I do get a bit of fluid through them, but never in the right spots. Suggestions for repair or replacement?

This board is such a fountain of good ideas and experiences...please fire away. You can even call me names if you accompany those names with suggested solutions!

Thanks,

Dave in Atlanta

Old 02-20-2013, 02:50 PM
Veteran Member
Received 664 Likes on 572 Posts

Hi Dave,
First the mirror, is it the mirror swivel point that is loose or the actual mounting bracket. I think the mounting bracket itself is just glued on. If it is that then some suitable adhesive would cure it.

For the washers, disconnect the water lines all the way back to the bottle and blow through with compressed air to make sure they are actually clear.
If so then check the bottle for blockages.

Hope this is of some help.

Old 02-21-2013, 11:39 AM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I had a similar problem with the washers a few years ago, tried the pin in them etc...

The problem for me was that I was using a water mix in the in them and the water in my area was very hard, over a period of time it had formed scale in the pipes and the jets...

I ended up emptying the washers then putting a MILD de-scaling solution in the bottle, let it sit for 10 mins and every 5 mins opperated the washers, letting them sit for 5 mins inbetween so the solution could be in the pipes.

After a few washes they began to work better and clear the scale in the pipes.

Don't know if that is your problem or will help but it certainly was mine.

rgds Shaun

Old 02-21-2013, 01:40 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,981 Likes on 2,123 Posts

Gus has a nice write-up on mirror tightening: JagRepair.com - Jaguar Repair Information Resource