XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

couple questions before buying xk8 this weekend

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2017, 11:10 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default couple questions before buying xk8 this weekend

Hello all, just joined the forum after reading how helpful everyone here is. I am planning to purchase a '98 xk8 this weekend. I have been doing research for weeks. I know I need to have it inspected to see if the original plastic chain tensioners have ever been upgraded. How much should I expect to spend on this (just the inspection...to have peace of mind if the upgraded tensioners have been done). The car has 42k original miles. I do understand there can be issues with the convertible top fluid etc. This will be a fun car, I have a 2013 Chrysler as my main daily driver. I understand if the tensioners are the original plastic that I will need to spend 800-1500 dollars to get them upgraded. Besides listening for a "ticking" sound on cold start, what else should I look at? What should the charging voltage read? What is the normal operating temperature I should look for? I would have a mechanic immediately check for the upgraded tensioners since I understand that is a huge problem. This is the car.

1998 Used Jaguar XK8 2dr Convertible at MONZA CAR Serving Sherman Oaks, IID 15756674

Should I trust a dealer to inspect it, and not tell me the tensioners are the original plastic ones? Anyone recommend a good san diego mechanic?
I don't mind putting a few thousand into necessary upgrades. I will never be comfortable driving this car if I don't know about the tensioner upgrade however. That seems to be the major problem with this year and model.

Thank you for any replies and suggestions!

Jeff in san diego

Old 01-12-2017, 11:13 PM
Default sorry forgot to ask...

not sure if I checked the correct thing...thread subscription instant email notification seems to be default....so hopefully I will get an email if anyone replies

Old 01-12-2017, 11:30 PM
Default tensioners

Didn't see anywhere to edit my original post so repying to my post. I have watched videos on doing the timing tensioners on my own....I am old-school I have replaced heads and head gaskets etc on old v8's water pumps etc but those were "70's" type fords etc nothing like a jag motor. I think I could do the check on the tensioners just far enough to see if they are plastic or not....but is it better to just pay to have them checked?

Old 01-13-2017, 12:20 AM
Veteran Member
Received 537 Likes on 400 Posts

Ahh--Monza Car brings back memories. I worked in a building across the street and used to walk by the dealer all the time. It was in 2007 when I first got hooked on getting my XKR after seeing some of these on the Monza lot (I think it was still Risley Motors at the time). So I have them to blame

Doug

Old 01-13-2017, 02:46 AM
Veteran Member
Received 460 Likes on 332 Posts

My opinion is that if the vendor can't prove that the car has the upgraded timing tensioners and guides, then you have to deduct the cost of fitting them from the asking price. If they have no documentation that they have been done, the only way to be sure is remove the cam covers and have a look.

Beware that these early cars have all sorts of other issues that need rectification and the car should be priced accordingly, if the work has not already been done.

Old 01-13-2017, 02:54 AM
GGG
Received 16,800 Likes on 12,169 Posts

Welcome to the forum Jeff,

From your questions, you've clearly been soaking up information from the XK8/XKR forum so there's no need for a link to it from me. The 'HOW TO' thread at the top is a good place to start for information on regular issues.

The XK8 looks good as I'd expect from an example with such low mileage. two things I noticed in the advertisement:

1. Panel gap

couple questions before buying xk8 this weekend-xk8_1.jpg

It could just be the angle of the photo but Jaguars have even panel gaps and this could indicate possible repairs to a minor bump on the front end.

2. broken adjustable vent

couple questions before buying xk8 this weekend-xk8_2.jpg

If the vanes are broken, replacement is the only solution.

Unless the vendor has receipts to prove the tensioners have been changed then assume NOT and negotiate accordingly.

The temperature gauge is useless and defaults to the mid point unless the engine is boiling over! The only way to accurately monitor temperature when viewing a potential purchase is with TorquePro or a scantool.

Be sure the vehicle has a full set of keys and remotes. So many newbies arrive on the forum asking about replacing missing ones and are are horrified to find out how much it costs. There should be 2 x Black headed Master Keys, 1 x Green headed Valet Key and 2 x Remotes.

Graham

The following users liked this post:
kauai1800 (01-17-2017)
Old 01-13-2017, 05:57 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,110 Likes on 932 Posts

If you have pulled a head off an old V8 you are not going to have any problem working on the XK8. It is not really that complicated and the forum documentation and assistance is far better than a Hayes manual of 20 years ago.

Probably 2 hours to remove and replace a valve cover to verify tensioners, $200.

I second the reply on documentation of tensioner replacement or reduced price but there are lots of other things that need to be checked. Go through the owners manual and verify that all functions actually do work. If there is no manual in the car there is one in the sticky's at the top of the forum. There is also a list of things to verify prior to purchase.

Car shows well in the pictures.

Old 01-13-2017, 07:46 AM
Received 281 Likes on 203 Posts

FWIW:
I did not see the hood cover (& storage bag) in the photos.

Old 01-13-2017, 11:56 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,252 Likes on 687 Posts

The ride height looks ok, but with only 44K miles on it is a safe bet that all the rubber bits in the suspension are going to need replacing soon. Most likely they are original, old, dry and crumbling. Shocks and springs should be fine though. DIY budget would be less than < $500, otherwise a few grand.

The convertible top hoses are probably original too. DIY < $400 otherwise about $1500.

I would want an explanation of that hood alignment issue for sure.

Old 01-13-2017, 04:31 PM
Received 57 Likes on 42 Posts

Besides all that, the Carfax says it had 5 owners.

The most alarming was that 3 of them were within a 2 year period.
Could have an underlying issue that doesn't immediately rear its ugly head.

The following users liked this post:
MarkyUK (01-13-2017)