XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cup holder solutions?

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2013, 04:35 PM
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Cup holder solutions?

I know it's a really minor thing but.....
My XKR has no cup holders, my XK8 did and I'm really missing them.
There is nowhere to put my petrol station coffee
And I spend a lot of time in petrol stations, and I love coffee.

Without going out and trying to find another arm rest with cup holders, or putting the coffee in the center console with my sunglasses iPod etc has anybody got any nifty solutions? I've seen the things that clip on the door, but suspect that they are a bit poo.

Thanks in advance

Old 04-19-2013, 01:28 AM
Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts
Red face

Originally Posted by Blue XK
I know it's a really minor thing but.....
My XKR has no cup holders, my XK8 did and I'm really missing them.
There is nowhere to put my petrol station coffee
And I spend a lot of time in petrol stations, and I love coffee.

Without going out and trying to find another arm rest with cup holders, or putting the coffee in the center console with my sunglasses iPod etc has anybody got any nifty solutions? I've seen the things that clip on the door, but suspect that they are a bit poo.

Thanks in advance
Other than going the route of replacing the console lid I'm not sure what you can do. Those ones that are suppose to be for the door don't work, I tried them in my 2003 X-Type because it only has 1 cup holder. I finally modified one by cutting to make it slightly smaller in diameter and then stapling it together. Then I stapled a small block of wood to the back of it so it hangs straighter. I hook it over the side of the console on the passenger side. This way my wife has a place for her drinks.
By the way the stock cup holder in the lid ain't all that great, at least mine isn't and it's brand new. The dealer replaced the original when I bought the car because the cover was shot. The cup holder doesn't lock in place when open so if I have a larger drink that's top heavy and I hit the gas a little spirited the drink dump back over the arm rest. If the drink lid isn't on very tight you can imagine where the liquid is going to end up. I've gotten use to resting my arm on the rest so my wrist holds the cup holder in place.

Old 04-19-2013, 10:54 AM
Veteran Member
Received 133 Likes on 107 Posts

I was thinking about doing a molded polymer or rubber coated aluminum replacement for the factory unit which can't even hold a 12oz soda securely... but I lost interest... there's just too much work to make a one-off and I don't think people would be interested in the price of doing a batch run seeing how I would have to outsource most of the work. There's plenty of room in the factory console to make something much more sturdy and reliable, but I didn't want to spend all that time to proto and playtest a unit. It's easier to buy drinks and water that have caps. lol

Old 04-19-2013, 12:04 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,106 Likes on 763 Posts

If someone has access to a 3D printer and has some skills in SolidWorks, that might be an option.

Something along the lines of what azeteg did for the iPhone dock:
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...project-91787/

Old 04-19-2013, 04:56 PM
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

We may have just ordered a 3D printer at work
I might jsut happen to have Catia V5 on my laptop
There may also be a 3d laser scanner in the back of the workshop

Hmmm, I wonder? Next graduate project maybe???

Old 04-20-2013, 03:37 PM
Received 674 Likes on 487 Posts
Default Cup Holders

I picked up a spare armrest without cup holders from Europe and am going to attempt to have it recovered in black to match the car and have more standard (insert type) cup holders installed in the top. I'll post pictures if it works after I get it done. I'm in the process of having the headliner changed to black (drop top) as well and am waiting for the alcantara to arrive.