XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dash Lights

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2017, 08:38 AM
Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Dash Lights

Searched but a lot of the posts are older and I know they have made improvements with the LED's? Going to replace all dash lights.
Question is, should I stick with stock bulbs or go to LED's?
What should I order, how many and from who?
Thanks!

Old 04-30-2017, 12:56 PM
Veteran Member
Received 653 Likes on 462 Posts

A subject I know virtually nothing about EXCEPT that I don't think that dimmable LEDs are readily available.

There are various different "stock" filament type bulbs depending on location - some have specific plastic bases which are not always interchangeable. There are lots of them, and they are not inexpensive. I would decide which ones you need, and only replace if necessary.

Last edited by DevonDavid; 04-30-2017 at 01:00 PM.
The following users liked this post:
TerryM (04-30-2017)
Old 04-30-2017, 08:15 PM
Received 43 Likes on 32 Posts

Look for my posts where I talked about using LED and posted pictures. I replaced the primary instrument backlights with LED (and shared a link to the eBay source). Yes, they are dimmable. They are also much brighter than even new incandescent bulbs; enough so that the instruments (tach, speedo, etc.) are now quite readable in daylight conditions and absolutely gorgeous at night!

Sometime in May I am going to look at doing the entire dash including all the HVAC and other central console switch lights.

TerryM (05-01-2017)
Old 04-30-2017, 09:57 PM
Veteran Member
Received 916 Likes on 654 Posts

WA,
CARiD is showing new Lumen NB Series replacement 1156 in Amber, White & Red & 1157 in Red LED Bulbs that say they are CAN Bus compatible for our Jaguar's.....Each month it seems that they come up with a new Bulb for the Jaguar and every month, so far, I have ordered 10 of them for the Tail lights and each month I send them back! I'm going to call tomorrow and I will let you know what they have to say! You never know, they might come up with something that works someday!

Billy Clyde in Houston

Old 05-01-2017, 06:01 AM

Ah, yes. Tail lights (and headlights) are a very different sort of problem in our vehicles. The dash lights are so much simpler to deal with.

Old 05-01-2017, 07:17 AM
Veteran Member
Received 653 Likes on 462 Posts

WAFlowers - I admit to being very out of touch with LED technology and am happy to be corrected. When I was looking for some tiny dimmable LEDs to put in my radio, I was unable to find anything suitable. Could you put up a link to a source of such bulbs please.

Old 05-01-2017, 09:50 AM
Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Bulbs

Thanks for the response guys!
WAFlowers, found your post and like the look of the LED's.
I'm going to order the one's you posted and if you could let us know which ones you ordered for the small bulbs it would be appreciated.
Any idea which one's I would need for the Radio, Climate Control and the 3 center gauges would be helpful too.

I have the Real Gauge kit and a Bluetooth kit from Discount Car Stereo that I will be installing and would like to replace all the bulbs as long as I'm in there.

Thanks Again

Old 05-01-2017, 07:12 PM

Originally Posted by DevonDavid
WAFlowers - I admit to being very out of touch with LED technology and am happy to be corrected. When I was looking for some tiny dimmable LEDs to put in my radio, I was unable to find anything suitable. Could you put up a link to a source of such bulbs please.
So far all I have replaced are the primary instrument backlights (tachometer, speedo, etc). I have purchased other LEDs to experiment with but they did not arrive before I had to leave for a couple of weeks. Since I don't know if they work I am reluctant to suggest them.

Later this month I will be back in Florida and will be trying out the stash of LED bulbs I've purchased then report on my success or failure.

DevonDavid (05-02-2017)
Old 05-01-2017, 07:14 PM

Originally Posted by TerryM
WAFlowers, found your post and like the look of the LED's.
Everyone who sees them likes the look. Apparently I got lucky and picked some good LEDs on my first try. It sounds like a lot of people aren't having much success with them.

I'm going to order the one's you posted and if you could let us know which ones you ordered for the small bulbs it would be appreciated.
Any idea which one's I would need for the Radio, Climate Control and the 3 center gauges would be helpful too.
After I've tried the ones I've bought I will post to let people know if they worked or not.

I have the Real Gauge kit and a Bluetooth kit from Discount Car Stereo that I will be installing and would like to replace all the bulbs as long as I'm in there.

Thanks Again
I understand, but I'm currently 2000 miles away and in another country from my car and the LEDs. Sorry, you will have to wait.