XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dead Battery/Locked Trunk

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2017, 10:12 AM
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Dead Battery/Locked Trunk

Embarrassed to have to ask, but how do I get my trunk open? Actually my battery is disconnected and the trunk was closed inadvertently. Is there a trick that is not obvious---I don't see anything in the manual...

Thanks!

Lee...

Old 11-01-2017, 10:15 AM
Received 387 Likes on 269 Posts

there is a keyhole in the XK8 badge on the rear panel that open the trunk. you might need some lubrication since it probably was never used.

The following users liked this post:
jimborino (04-29-2018)
Old 11-01-2017, 10:16 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,487 Likes on 1,043 Posts

Have you tried the key? You might have to look around a bit, but there is a lock for the trunk lid...

Old 11-01-2017, 10:22 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,808 Likes on 1,115 Posts

Another idea, provided you are absolutely sure the battery cables are isolated from each other and the chassis, you could attach an external battery source to enable the trunk release.

John

Old 11-01-2017, 10:38 AM

Ha! You guys are great! Whitehat---if you hadn't specifically mentioned the XKR badge, I don't think I would have EVER found it! Thanks to all for checking in.

I had actually observed the black "spot" between the X and the KR on the trunk but never made the connection. Got it open now, just fine (no lubrication needed!). It's my wife's car and she loves it! Thanks to all...

Lee...

Old 11-01-2017, 02:26 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

read the owners manual

Old 11-01-2017, 04:37 PM
Veteran Member
Received 537 Likes on 350 Posts

Now imagine if you had left the key/fob in the trunk before closing it. Have you a spare to hand, especially if it happened miles away from home?

Until WhiteXKR's de luxe upgrade comes on the market can I offer this

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...ight=emergency

Last edited by astromorg; 11-01-2017 at 04:41 PM.
Old 11-02-2017, 10:08 AM

Unfortunately the saga continues, even after reading the owners manual! The battery spent the afternoon on the monster charger at the parts shop and got an "okay" grade. Reinstalled battery, and voila, all lights etc came back on. All seemed well and the engine spins like a top but won't start. Before I run it down again trying, I have a couple more questions:

1. Found a small connector lose adjacent to the positive pole of the battery. Could not find where it connected. Could this be the problem?

2. And if not, did I miss any resets (or similar) that prevent the car from starting? I did not see any mention of such in the manual. There is info on resetting the radio code, "teaching" the windows the rules again, etc. but I didn't see anything on the security, fuel pump, or similar systems.

Any help would be appreciated.

Regards,

Lee...

Old 04-29-2018, 10:02 AM
Received 47 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by WhiteHat
there is a keyhole in the XK8 badge on the rear panel that open the trunk. you might need some lubrication since it probably was never used.
This post basically saved (what's left of) my sanity. I was installing the Real Gauge package, and for some dumb reason closed the trunk with the battery disconnected. I was due to use the car within 30 minutes when I discovered I had done this. After 10 minutes of "colorful language" I searched this Forum and ... found this post.

I had no idea about that keyhole until I read this. After all ... honestly - how many people here have completely read through the owners manual *and* remember all of it :-P

Old 04-29-2018, 10:28 AM

Probably should have posted this a long time ago: Just to close out the "engine spins but car won't start" part of my XKR issue, I took the car to Marc at BPC Motorworks on Hilton Head. He's an indie who specializes in exotics but especially Jags---he replaced the pumps in the fuel tank and voila.

Nice work done quickly. Recommended.

Lee...

Old 04-29-2018, 11:15 AM
Received 76 Likes on 35 Posts

Tip: The secret keyhole may need an unworn key to work. The key I usually use was worn enough it would not open the trunk. My other key worked though.

Old 04-29-2018, 12:00 PM
Received 7,879 Likes on 4,763 Posts

Originally Posted by slidefighter
Unfortunately the saga continues, even after reading the owners manual! The battery spent the afternoon on the monster charger at the parts shop and got an "okay" grade. Reinstalled battery, and voila, all lights etc came back on. All seemed well and the engine spins like a top but won't start. Before I run it down again trying, I have a couple more questions:

1. Found a small connector lose adjacent to the positive pole of the battery. Could not find where it connected. Could this be the problem?

2. And if not, did I miss any resets (or similar) that prevent the car from starting? I did not see any mention of such in the manual. There is info on resetting the radio code, "teaching" the windows the rules again, etc. but I didn't see anything on the security, fuel pump, or similar systems.

Any help would be appreciated.

Regards,

Lee...
In case nobody ever answered your question about the connector you found..... X100 needs that to 'drop' the windows when opening the doors, so Jaguar included that Isolation Transit Relay to provide power to the door modules so the glass would not break.

That is the ONLY thing powered during transit when the transit relay is installed. The devise is removed during PDI and is supposed to be returned to Jaguar for re-use.

The connector plug has NO USE after the transit relay is disconnected/removed.

The other 1/4' male spade is to energize the relay by 'grounding' the relay coil with the ignition key to provide normal battery function.

The following 2 users liked this post by motorcarman:
fmertz (04-30-2018), jimborino (04-29-2018)
Old 04-29-2018, 07:14 PM

Motorcarman: Great stuff, thanks for checking in! I would never have known that. After I got my trunk open and the car delivered to my indie mechanic, he told me that was "for something not installed" in the XKR. I didn't ask any further.

Thanks!

Lee...