XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DESPERATE! Need help fast! Car stalling.

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2010, 10:24 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,257 Likes on 563 Posts
Default DESPERATE! Need help fast! Car stalling.

As most of you know, I'm on vacation with my wife. We've driven about 2900 miles with no problems. Then today, my car just stalled out of the blue. I've got a theory, but I'm going to leave it out because I don't want to influence the advice. We were in the middle of nowhere, 30 miles past the last town on a little two lane road in southern Utah. I decided to put the top down, so I pulled to the side of the road and when I coasted to a stop the engine was idling poorly. I tapped the gas and it just stalled. I cranked the engine, but it wouldn't catch. I gave up and just sat there for a few minutes wondering what to do. I decided to try it again, and all of the sudden it was working again! I drove another 10 miles or so, and suddenly the engine died once again. After a few attempts to crank it I gave up and just decided to call AAA. After ten minutes on the phone with them I tried to crank it, and once again it started. This time I turned around to head back in the direction of civilization. I pulled into a gas station to top off the tank (I'll explain later) and when I did I discovered that the cap was loose! I thought that might have caused the problem, so after filling up and having no problems we headed back towards the Grand Canyon. Everything went fine for about 80 miles, then out of the blue it just died again. The engine would crank but it wouldn't catch. I waited ten minutes, tried it again, and it started right up. We made it to the North Rim, but now I'm really worried it's going to die on me when I try to drive it again.

By the way... the north rim is a three hour drive from any place with an auto parts store, and probably 7 hours from the nearest town with a Jag dealer.

Any suggestions? I have a theory, but I want to hear yours.

Old 07-24-2010, 10:35 PM
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

My first thought would be water in the fuel... but that is a gut thought. You did say the "cap was loose" so maybe someone put something in your fuel??? Just shootin from the hip on this one.

Old 07-24-2010, 10:39 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,005 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Name:  car01.jpg
Views: 40
Size:  19.3 KB

Hey Sam, sorry to hear about your problems
My first thought was poor fuel too funnily enough. I had that issue many years ago myself albeit on a diesel. As the cap was loose, do I assume that you reuelled fairly recently?
If it matches up with your diagnosis, it might be worth making a call tothe garage that sold you the fuel ( if you can get their number and ask if they've had any other reports of problems? )
Whatever it is, I hope you get it resolved soon

Old 07-24-2010, 10:47 PM
Gus
Veteran Member
Received 2,207 Likes on 1,700 Posts

Sam I had the same thing take place on my car this past weekend. Check the pipe from the MAFS to the TB for holes. I found two in mine and got a new one. Also check the plug to the TB. I got my car started after I moved the plugs on the TB. I have since removed the plugs, cleaned it with Dielectric spray from CRC and reinstalled and have not had a problem since.

Old 07-24-2010, 10:51 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,005 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Name:  car01.jpg
Views: 40
Size:  19.3 KB

Sam, based on the fact that Gus is very knowledgable member and has the same car I'd say his theory would take preference....get it checked straight away, and good luck

Old 07-24-2010, 11:18 PM
Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Sam, my first thought would be fuel delivery, clogged filter, poor fuel quality, etc. But I do recall reading some posts regarding the perforation in the intake plenum along the lines of what Gus discussed. I hope your emergency kit in the trunk include duct tape, as replacing it won't be an option in the middle of nowhere southern Utah where you are!

Post your therory as I'm curious what you are thinking... I'm really sorry you are having these problems, nothing like some car trouble to take the fun out of a road trip.

Old 07-24-2010, 11:18 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,981 Likes on 2,123 Posts

Find the nearest gas station that has an OBDII code reader and read your fault codes. At least you will have more information to plot your next move. Hang in there!

Old 07-24-2010, 11:23 PM
Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts

Sounds like a problem I had with the Camaro recently.

How's the temperature?
Does it give you any indication of abnormality before it dies out?

Old 07-24-2010, 11:27 PM
Received 97 Likes on 71 Posts

I have had this happen twice. (I have 94K miles on the car)

1. Bad fuel - We were also in the middle of nowhere during a road trip, turns out as soon as we filled up again the fault did not replicate itself. (I purchased the bad fuel at a Sinclair in Yellowstone NP, I always use Chevron but didn't have a choice at the time)
I have a theory about the summer travel, fuel condition and gas stations that are only operational seasonally, but I will save that for another time.

2. Throttle cable adjustment - A few days after I adjusted my throttle cable I pulled up to a red light and the car started a rough idle and went in to a limp mode. I limped into a parking lot and set the throttle back two notches and it has not happed since. Also you are at higher altitude up there so that may exaggerate the lean condition of an over adjusted cable on the TPS.

If worse comes to worse there is a NAPA and a Parts Plus in Kanab, UT and you are 275 miles (approx 5 1/2 hours) away from Gaudin Jaguar, 7200 W Sahara Ave, Las Vegas, NV 89117 - (702) 284-7000. -Alternatively, if you want to drive in a different direction, you can go take it to British Automotive Repair (Gregory Nel) the best Jaguar mechanic I have ever come across. He is located @ 8225 E Butherus Dr. Scottsdale, AZ 85260 - (480) 596-5247 approx. 349 miles (approx 6 hours) away

Last edited by MarcB; 07-25-2010 at 08:12 AM.
Old 07-25-2010, 12:46 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry to hear your having problems on your vacation, I had the same problem maybe 3 months ago, it would happen more so as I was coming of the throttle. The car would just looses power and say engine stall. So I pulled the air breather and clean the MAFS with electric contact cleaner and cleaned the throttle body. I also cleaned the full and part load breather. If you decide to clean the throttle body don't use any abrasives it will take the coating off. I used a rag and STP throttle body cleaner. I haven't had a problem since. You can use a paper clip to clean the part load breather. Good Luck.

Old 07-25-2010, 03:10 AM
Received 70 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by Chrisxk8
Sorry to hear your having problems on your vacation, I had the same problem maybe 3 months ago, it would happen more so as I was coming of the throttle. The car would just looses power and say engine stall. So I pulled the air breather and clean the MAFS with electric contact cleaner and cleaned the throttle body. I also cleaned the full and part load breather. If you decide to clean the throttle body don't use any abrasives it will take the coating off. I used a rag and STP throttle body cleaner. I haven't had a problem since. You can use a paper clip to clean the part load breather. Good Luck.
The aft intake pipe to fore MAF section could be loose. It is secured with a stainless steel clip.

These bloody Jags! I hope this is not spoiling the trip.

Good luck!

Dan

Last edited by Dan R; 07-25-2010 at 03:12 AM. Reason: Addition
Old 07-25-2010, 04:38 AM
Veteran Member
Received 637 Likes on 439 Posts

I hope it's that simple as a duct tape solution . I feared of crankshaft sensors . That would do nothing but spoil your trip .
Keep up updated , looking forward to seeing your great news and your car up & running

Old 07-25-2010, 10:25 AM
Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts

I've been watching the posts concerning your problem. I guess that an issue can happen anytime, but, keeping things simple first is the way I go. If this were any othere type of car you would think bad fuel or vapor lock. It sounds like you have some moisture in the fuel. Pop in 3 bottles of "dri-gas" and see what happens. Your a smart guy...you'll figure it out. I know you did a post on what to take with you on the trip. Have the duct tape ready in case the fuel treatment doesn't work.

Old 07-25-2010, 11:09 AM
Veteran member
Received 1,144 Likes on 750 Posts

just now saw this sam, good luck...keep us updated.

You've got every potential cause listed from our rapid response team above, all are easy to check and remedy thankfully.

We'll talk more about it when you get home.

Old 07-25-2010, 11:15 AM
Gus
Veteran Member

Sam,
My trip was a total of 200mi. At 90mi is when it went dead after moving all the plugs associated with the TB I continued the trip without failure. I did run a little rough so I checked the tube (MAFS to TB) and found a few openings. I did clean all the electrical connections and ordered the tube that will not be in until Monday. Sam, let us know how you make out, never a good feeling being stranded and without help…

Old 07-25-2010, 11:36 AM
Veteran member
Received 1,144 Likes on 750 Posts

I bought a new air pipe from Nalley Jag also. Mine was cracking severely on top, you could see thru it, but there was a thin plastic layer left before it was totally open to the outside.

For a month, I sprayed the rubber undercoating on it to prolong its life. Worked well (for short term use only)

Old 07-25-2010, 12:19 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,257 Likes on 563 Posts

I typed up a long reply but the internet connectivity here at the north rim sucks. I lost it. Basically, thanks for the advice. I was thinking I had a bad/intermittant fuel pump, but the other tips make more sense. I'm going to check all of those things.

I brought my OBDii scanner with me and it only shows P1000 which is normal.

Old 07-25-2010, 12:55 PM
Gus
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Reverend Sam
I typed up a long reply but the internet connectivity here at the north rim sucks. I lost it. Basically, thanks for the advice. I was thinking I had a bad/intermittant fuel pump, but the other tips make more sense. I'm going to check all of those things.

I brought my OBDii scanner with me and it only shows P1000 which is normal.
And that was what my car came up with P1000. I brought mine along thinking what the hell and I end up using it.

Old 07-25-2010, 02:01 PM
Received 97 Likes on 71 Posts

Where did you buy your last tank of fuel?

Old 07-25-2010, 02:27 PM
Veteran Member
Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts

How can the scanner read normal with a total engine failure? My check engine light comes on if one spark plug misses one time!

My guess regarding your engine quitting in the high hot SW would be some kind of vapor lock/fuel delivery issue.

R.

Quick Reply: DESPERATE! Need help fast! Car stalling.